Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
on line
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... I'm not quite sure how to phrase this, so I'll just say it flat out.

Wanna protect your gear on the roof rack/in the canoe/campsite from rain/snow/hail whatever?

Medical Examiner Body Bag.

As a health care professional working in a busy Level 1 trauma center, occasionally people die... and their bodies need to removed from the Emergency Department and sent to the Medical Examiner's Office. I'm not associated with the "bagging" of a decedent, but happened to see this process and noted the very tough quality of the bag.

Some time later, I saw a Medical Examiner technician entering the facility. I stopped to talk to him about the strength/durability of the "bags".

I'll spare you the grisly details, but he gave me a bag... and it is a "must have" for campers etc.

These bags are great as far as preventing "leakage" <inwards or outwards> and protecting its contents from the environment in general.

·
on line
163 Posts
I hope it was a new bag. :laughing6:

If you think about, the bags have to carry a dead and possibly decomposing human body. They have to be built super tough.

·
on line
463 Posts
Great protection for camping gear from the weather

This,,, is a Class A example of the ingenuity of these groups, and the folks in them !

That's a Spectacular Idea !

As stated earlier,,,Now,, Where to get One ?

JimB

·
on line
1,320 Posts
that site has some great prices on them too.
... if only they made them for little people (to be PC) they'd be perfect rooftop bags.
Way cheaper than the Thule bags and stuff and probably stronger too.

·
on line
191 Posts
hahaha can you imagine the look on peoples faces when you unload at camp. lol. Or if its strapped onto your roofrack while your driving on the freeway.

·
TNX Administrator
20,235 Posts
JayP said:
hahaha can you imagine the look on peoples faces when you unload at camp. lol. Or if its strapped onto your roofrack while your driving on the freeway.
Or if it were to fall off your truck rack - who's going to be the first one to see what's inside.

·
on line
551 Posts
Now that's just plain grizzly...
But ingenious and thinking outside the box (or bag in this case)

·
on line
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JayP said:
A body bag, (at least the new and unused version I received form the county Medical Examiner tech) is black in color and gives no hint of what it was designed for.

All it is is a dark, extremely heavy duty, PVC bag, with a zipper down the middle.

The bag I had was so far superior to any weather resistant bag I've previously used (and as a camper/hunter, I've had them all), I am going to try to determine the manufacturer and establish a multi-item purchase relationship.

·
on line
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
buxwheat said:
lifeinthesouth said:
... if only they made them for little people (to be PC) they'd be perfect rooftop bags.
Check the next page out from that same website (under "Regular"). Link: http://www.transportpouches.com/RegularPouches.html
Not as heavy duty, but would certainly keep the elements off of your stuff. Got Youth and Infant sizes.
I've used products from this company before... and been very unimpressed. Even items placed at the bottom of the transport bag became wet from a moderate rainstorm of ... 10minutes.... 15 minutes max.

·
on line
384 Posts
One of these would be really funny to use as a bivy sack. Stuff your sleeping bag in, climb in and zip it up!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Lyrex said:
One of these would be really funny to use as a bivy sack. Stuff your sleeping bag in, climb in and zip it up!
Only problem, I don't think they have an internal zipper. Althought, it would be a very cheap bivsack if you could figure out a way to be able to zip/unzip from the inside and create a water proof vent hole.

·
TNX Administrator
20,235 Posts
muzikman said:
Lyrex said:
Only problem, I don't think they have an internal zipper. Althought, it would be a very cheap bivsack if you could figure out a way to be able to zip/unzip from the inside and create a water proof vent hole.
How about turning it inside out, so the zipper is on the inside.

·
on line
384 Posts
I want one with some type of labling on the outside (like "Property of County Coroner's Office"). Then the next time I am camped out on the side of a trail, someone coming by is going to see me lying in the bag.

·
on line
37 Posts
just something a little off about carrying a body bag camping.....

i dont think i would want one on my roof....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts