Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

GPS question

4K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  BGXterra 
#1 ·
I Know there are post already about GPS units but I can't find what I am looking for.

Can anyone please tell me what GPS devices can show me driving directions like a TOMTOM and can also keep track of where I have been when I am off roading.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
If you're talking about a handheld, most upperend mapping units do this.
One of the better units would be a Garmin 60CX (60CSx with sensors) or 76CX (76CSX with sensors) www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60csx/
Proper Garmin software for detail maps (basemap is useless):
City Navigator for onroad and auto routing
Topo for off road (may have some trails, not sure as of now I use an older Magellan) Many people do say this software isn't the greatest and is relatily old.
Once you are done with a track (off or on road) you can export the waypoints to either GoogleEarth or National Geograpic Topo (USGS quads) to see where you've been
There are others including the Rhinos which combine FRS radios and GPS
(really cool if someone else has one, and their location shows up on you map)
Also there are some groups at Yahoo dedicated to these units, as well as at groundspeak www.geocaching.com

#4 ·
The only problem with the Map60 series is that it doesn't do audio directions, you have to look at the map. But it does depend on what you are looking to do with it. I do a lot of hiking, off-roading, geocaching, etc that an outdoors hand held was the best option for me. But I also have a car computer for street navigation.

#5 ·
I use Trimble products for my job. They are quite expensive, but are second to none IMO. They work very well with ArcGIS! I don't know that they offer audio directions(they probably do not) But I can tell you that their products are extremely accurate. Most data ponts are within 1 foot when projected onto a GIS map.
http://www.trimble.com/index.aspx

#6 ·
Thanks Guys for the helpful info.

I do want an in car system, but I havent seen one that offers breadcrumbs tracking. I guess that my best best is to go with something like a street pilot and a hand held unit for the rest of my trips

#11 ·
Looks pretty impressive. lots of features including the off road mode I think I might be getting that one. well Thanks guys for all your inputs

#12 ·
I bought the cheap Cobra for the boy: non mapping unit. For what it is (basic GPS) it isn't bad.
I've played around with the upper units, again not bad. Just not a lot of aftermarket support for them from what I understand.
I wonder if you can export your routes to the PC?
Let us know how it works out.

#13 ·
Ok I just bought the Cobra Linky
I got it for a good price now lets hope that the features are as good as they seem. so far I have read good review so we will see. I hope the off road mode works. I will keep you all posted

#15 ·
yeah the larger unit was double the price and I really don't need anything that big. yeah cool thing is that my phone and my camera all use SD so I already have tons of those.

#16 ·
Ok, so I got my unit today and had a trip of 2 hours. the units is pretty accurate and the map is pretty clear. the auto zoom feature is great and screen is very readable even under sun light. so far a like it a lot. much better than a nuvi or a tomtom. I haven't tested the off road mode yet that will be later today. also the unit has a great quality feel. not plastic or flimsy.
If the off road feature works as I think it would, this could be the perfect GPS unit for 4wheeling

#17 ·
Good to hear you're happy with it so far. Many people expect to much of these auto GPS.
I just found a DeLorme PN-20 handheld that looks like it could be the schitz for off roading: USGS quads, aerial photo (not hi res yet) plus ther topo maps. Can all be loaded at once and layered. Might forgo the auto unit and go with this. Maybe...

#18 ·
Wow, that's a nice device, If I was into hiking I would definitely would have loved to have that one. the price seems a little high.

well I have some more news on the unit. The trails feature was a mistake in their marketing campaign... so no trail capture feature... but not to worry due to their mistake they will be having a software upgrade in 2 weeks to allow the unit to record trail data.

I was a little disappointed as I really like the unit. none of that picture viewer MP3 player crap. easy and accurate navigation, great auto dim and auto night mode.

So I will hold to it and wait for the software upgrade. If it works as promised this could be the best choice for those of us that don't do much wheeling.

#19 ·
The Garmin iQue has bread crumbs - little dots on the maps which tell you where you've been. I'd assume that it's Windows CE based replacement continues to have the same feature. They also load topo maps with an optional map package.

I recently tried the Cobra 5" screen that I borrowed from a friend before he returned it for replacement. He's had problems with the thing losing it's mind. For me the interface was less than agreable. I ended up with a nuvi 660.

The price is steep but for me it's all about the user interface and Garmin has been in the business a long long time and has it right. The new 680 has live weather updates and even lists gasoline prices along your route. I didn't think I'd use the Bluetooth but it does a great job of acting as a hands free phone. The MP3 player contains an FM transmitter and plays into the radio. When the unit needs to give directions it lowers the music volume and gives the voice direction guidance. The voice comes in a number of langauges and accents - I got in trouble for having the Australian lady giving directions so went back to the American one. The voice is able to read the street adress and says "turn right on main street" rather than the older "turn right ahead". There's a live traffic update too with a visible map of the traffic and an estimated expected delay - she'll reroute if the delay becomes greater than the detour.

#20 ·
So far my only complain was not having the trail capture feature. I really don't need anything else and another PDA is just not what i want. I just drove 1200 miles and the unit was accurate and precise I only lost my exit once due to a phone call but thanks for the advice I sure appreciate it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.