Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows of a place that sells molds for clusters to fit over the radio so a GPS could fit like the guage pods that are in this auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-0...008QQitemZ180166797650QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I was thinking of maybe a Tom Tom One or maybe a widescreen version of some sort of GPS.

IF there is nothing of this sort, Then can someone direct me to how o create one or find someone to create one. I want something clean looking and to fill in that space. Thanks!

·
on line
20 Posts
Another method you can use is a foam plug and epoxy. I used to be into radio controlled aircraft and I once fabbed an engine cowl. I attached a foam core to the front of the plane and then sculpted the cowl to suit (make sure that you make your plug just slightly smaller to compensate for the desired thickness of the shell). I then coated the plug with very lightweight fiberglass cloth using epoxy glue (normal fiberglass resin will dissolve the foam). Once the glue cured and I was finished sanding, I used some laquer thinner to dissovle the foam and I had my engine cowl. You could then add supports and stiffeners to the inside to mount the GPS and you are good to go. Another thing you can do is once you have your first layer of epoxy down, you can switch to regular fiberglass resin.

Styrofoam is very cheap and easy (though a bit messy) to work with. The added plus is that it is extremely easy to get rid of once you have the glass cloth applied.

Thanks for a great idea, you have me thinking about making my own now.

Andrew

·
on line
807 Posts
X2.
If I get a GPS for X-mas (I have my fingers crossed) then I will be doing the same thing, and fiberglassing it in. 1) to make it look cool, and 2) to make it harder to steal.

·
on line
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This seems to be an idea that could spur lots of cool things. Keep us update to what every each one of you do. I probably wont get the GPS till next year but I'm already trying to work on ideas to get it mounted and not windsheild mounted. I want everything to blend in niceley and this space is perfect for guage pods like the ebay seller and even a GPS.

·
on line
27 Posts
another option

·
on line
807 Posts
Yea... that isn't done yet guys.... but I don't like it anyway, I'm going to start fresh with a new design, that one looks like crap.

·
on line
20 Posts
I think that you have a fantastic approach. So what if the first one isn't exactly what you wanted? You will figure it out pretty soon. There are dyes available for the fiberglass resin/filler. I would simply experiment with these until you found a close color match. Then when you get a design that you like, you simply make it with the appropriate dye and there you have it.

Great job!

Andrew

Here is a link for the dyes that I was speaking of:

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=50&

·
on line
807 Posts
hmmm... I have never seen those tints. Would it tint both the resin and the cloth, or just the resin? That would be pretty cool, I like being able to see the textrue in the cloth, so that might be a good way to do it.

·
on line
114 Posts
I really like how your custom mount turned out. Once you get the color matched, it's going to look sweet. Makes me wish I went that direction with the LCD mount for my carpc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts