Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Im considering picking up a GPS navigation unit for my rig but i would like any input on the products available. Ive never owned one but my budget is $450. So far ive been looking at the Garmin Nuvi 200 or 350 or the Magellan Maestro series in the same price range. Does anyone have ant info on other unit out there like LG, Tom Tom etc...

·
on line
853 Posts
If you can live with just beeps instead of the voice prompts, the Garmin GPSMap 60CSx is pretty cool, as it will work for both auto navigation and hand held out of the truck. It may wind up a bit over your budget, though, as you do have to buy the City Nav map set separately.

I've only had mine a few days, but like it a lot. Even with my poor close up vision I can read the screen just fine.

It really is designed more for hand held use, but it's not bad for auto navigation.

For Garmin, the service from gpsnow.com was pretty good.

·
on line
564 Posts
X2...I've used the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS for two years now. It works great as an auto-nav system and as a hand held nav system. I've used it to navigate across country, geocaching, and even on my motorcycle and bicycle. It's a very versitile GPSr.

It seems to me that this subject was discussed extensively on here rather recently, you might want to try searching for that thread.

Rob

·
on line
423 Posts
I have a kenwood 6019 that uses a Garmin attachment for GPS and I like it, but that would blow your budget.
I like the garmin software and I think they offer some good products. you can get a windshield mount model for as low as $250.

www.woot.com has some pretty good deals and if your patient and don't want to spend too much you can get one as low as $150.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i do like the garmin that you guys have but i was looking at the garmin Nuvi series. any feedback on these units? Cnet gives them all great reviews and everyone i talk to raves about them. any info??

·
on line
335 Posts
a gps really really depends on what you are looking for...i have a GPSMAP60CSX and really like it...

saying that, the auto-specific ones are really much better for auto nav. I'm looking at a c330 or something along those lines for my wife. i looked at the nuvi line, but seems like it does a whole lotta things i don't care about, all it'll do is cost me more.

·
on line
616 Posts
Being one that takes the road less traveled, I have pressed my GPS enabled Blackberry 8800 into street navigation duties in my X. It uses the GPS for positioning and downloads maps over the GPRS network. Google Maps is a freebee application and shows traffic for major metropolitan areas. I use TeleNav, a subscription service. TeleNav has voice prompts, 3D views and can do such tricks as finding the cheapest gas nearby. However, neither do much when there is no GPRS service. Navigating by phone also kills the battery so a car charger is a must. Also, those of you who fear that the government is trying to track your every move may not like this approach.

Other applications are available that download and store maps on the device (upto 2GB with additional memory added to the device). These work better for off-roading in areas with limited coverage and were designed for geo-caching.

The PDA phone turned GPS navigator may not be the best application for all purposes, but it is very capable and the network awareness ensures the most up to date maps, satellite views, current routing, traffic information, international maps, etc, etc, etc...

-Old Army

1 - 7 of 7 Posts