Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I wanted to see if anyone has attempted this. What I would like to do is cut out the little sunglasses, paperclip, pen, etc... holder that sits right above the radio, and mold an enclosure (like a subwoofer) and slide a GPS in that way. I think it could be done, and maybe make things a lot safer, instead of unplugging it and hiding it everytime you leave the X. Plus you would get a good signal since it's on the top near the windshield. Plus I just want to keep it "clean" on the inside, not a lot of wires, etc all over the place. Well I know thats kind of hard to picture (not to mention long) but let me know of this is even "doable"

thanks everyone!!!!

·
on line
559 Posts
I understand what you're trying to do. Anything is possible. It's just a matter of time, money, and SKILL. If you have the skills, then go for it. If you have to go to an installer, then you're better off replacing the factory headunit with an aftermarket double DIN navi unit. The price will be somewhat the same (install the aftermarket yourself vs. custom fabrication), the net effect will be somewhat the same (fixed unit - non-removable), but it will look more factory than ever.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
make it out of wood and have a wood grain gps holder, that would be sweet. Ok maybe not.

I say do it and post the how to when you are done :geek:

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know, I started doing some research on how to actually make these custom enclosures (same process as a subwoofer box I imagine) and for all of the work and money to actually make something would be cost prohibitive, plus it might look like crap since it would be my first one. Plus I don't like the idea of hacking up my dash, but from what I remember from messnig around with it, it doesn't look like it would be too much of a problem, but who knows.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well I can tell you how I do this, No details but you take a good strong balloon of proper size, Get some of that foam project board and kinda cut what ya want into near the shape, pin it together and tape it together, Make the size opening you want, a little larger, Now take the Balloon and stick it inside, and get some of that Great stuff foam insulation that squirts out, fill the balloon with it and the foam board will pretty much shape it how you wanted it, It takes a long time to really set up so keep checking back and keep molding it as it dries into very near the shape you want. You can even have like 4 studs formed into it to maybe bolt to the tray You mention. Now, after all this dries, You fiberglass it, no details you have to know how to work with glass or learn now, not too bad but the better you are the less work later, get the strongest glass you can, there are different materials. I use the stuff for Boats it has a different name and is more money but waterproof, not needed here. Anyways you Fiberglas it up, use a filler like tiger hair to finish it off, and the short way is to use headliner type glue (Spray) and glue material of choice on, OR sand sand sand until very smooth and paint. You can leave the foam in for strength and support and just cut out for room for your device (Allow room for cooling) Or if you did a great job, just hack all the foam out and use only fiberglass shell that is left. Trim the hole with a rubber type edge trim and that will hold the GPS with no scratches or marks, If you know how you want to mount it in there, you can fiberglass some mounts into it in the right spots. This is not a quickie project it takes me like 3 days to do one waiting for dry time, and all that. No rush but one of a kind! Last one I made had a GPS in front, and a kinda hidden part facing FWD that his a Radar Detector and a Jammer I also had a power strip in there to power these Items. If I had a GPS like that, I'd do a how to, but since you have one, have at it!

If I was making one, I'd include a kinda hood on it to shade it from the sun where the screen is so it is easy to read, or kinda recess the screen area. Plus maybe leave room for a small light to kick on to see controls.

MC

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I think I figured out how I'm gonna do this... the easy way :geek: I deceided to go with the tomtom one. I found it for $50 less than what is regularly posted. On a side note, if anyone needs ANYTHING, go to this website... www.cheapstingybargains.com . They go out and find the deals (coupon codes, internet phone deals, pretty much anything). Anywho, back to the story. I'm going to mount the GPS mount to where the tray is right in front of the gear shifter, pointing up so I can see it. I thought this was a better idea just because it's made for you to be able to take it out, so why not put it where I can actually get it out. After that I'm going to run a tomtom gps antenna up the a frame and attatch it to teh roof for a better signal since it's kind of down in the recesses. Plus this way I will be able to hide the wires. I'll see if I can get some pics the day I get all of the equipment :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts