Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
201 - 220 of 256 Posts
Try unbolting the engine skids and go for a ride without them, if it still pops with them off you can eliminate them. My aluminum skid was popping like this whenever the frame would twist (when turning the wheels slow, over bumps etc) and it was temperature driven a lot of the time. I thought it was my steering rack, changed the bushings even and still did it. One day I had a buddy crawl under while I cycled the steering back and forth and it was indeed the skid plate.

Finally got the truck back to running order. Gutted the front 2 Cats, new rear cat and Flowmaster Super 44 installed. Absolutely love the sound it makes now. Here's a quick vid

https://youtu.be/646x2Da_A0U

I'm still getting the 420/430 Cat codes but I'm getting some O2 Sensor extenders to alleviate the CEL code. Next on the list is replacing the calipers. GONE is approaching fast and I gotta get it to 100%

Regarding the O2 sensor extenders, are you referring to actual sensor extenders/spacers, like the anti fouler people try to use or do you actually mean you are going to get a harness extender to give you more cable length and then install the O2 sensors behind the rear cats? I ask this as I gutted my wife's '06 S last year and have not been able to overcome the CEL using all combinations of anti fouler/90º extenders etc. I have tried everything minus getting mini cat extenders, that add some cat material into the extender to clean the exhaust prior to hitting the O2 sensor. I have read mixed things about them and just haven't taken the chance due to their cost. I tried both new Bosch, new NGK and the original NGKs that were installed just to rule out some sort of sensitivity difference between the sensors. No luck. I am just dealing with the CEL and both cat codes, P0420 and P0430. I just worry that it is affecting my fuel trim even though the service manual states the rear sensors do not affect fuel performance management under normal circumstances. Just wonder what abnormal circumstances would be. I have been thinking of having an exhaust shop add bungs behind each rear cat and then having them extend the O2s to reach them. This is why I asked if this is what you did and if so I am really curious as to the results.

Discussion starter · #203 ·
Regarding the O2 sensor extenders, are you referring to actual sensor extenders/spacers, like the anti fouler people try to use or do you actually mean you are going to get a harness extender to give you more cable length and then install the O2 sensors behind the rear cats? I ask this as I gutted my wife's '06 S last year and have not been able to overcome the CEL using all combinations of anti fouler/90º extenders etc. I have tried everything minus getting mini cat extenders, that add some cat material into the extender to clean the exhaust prior to hitting the O2 sensor. I have read mixed things about them and just haven't taken the chance due to their cost. I tried both new Bosch, new NGK and the original NGKs that were installed just to rule out some sort of sensitivity difference between the sensors. No luck. I am just dealing with the CEL and both cat codes, P0420 and P0430. I just worry that it is affecting my fuel trim even though the service manual states the rear sensors do not affect fuel performance management under normal circumstances. Just wonder what abnormal circumstances would be. I have been thinking of having an exhaust shop add bungs behind each rear cat and then having them extend the O2s to reach them. This is why I asked if this is what you did and if so I am really curious as to the results.

I haven’t done it yet but it was suggested to use 90* O2 Sensor Extender. I just clear it with my bullydog anytime it pops up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t done it yet but it was suggested to use 90* O2 Sensor Extender. I just clear it with my bullydog anytime it pops up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gotcha. Well if you’re gonna just clear it with your BD you may as well just save your money on the 90° adapter as it will not work. Codes will just continue to return, requiring clearing either way.

Discussion starter · #205 ·
Ordered some more parts for rushing to get ready for Moab. Ordered 2 new LCA's from Detroit Axle, not bad for $125. Also ordered some new tie rods and 2 new CV's. While inspecting my clunk, I noticed the LCA moving forward and I was told its easier to change out a LCA versus bushings and they are about at least 4+ years old so i figure it's probably time. I also noticed a small tear in a CV boot on the driver side. Its large enough to have grease spin out of it but not too large to where I can't put some gasket sealer on it and keep it as a spare. Also getting w/ a shop to help me w/ my skid. I don't have the proper tools for me to bend it or manipulate it enough to do it. Only 10 more days till I leave and the stress is going to kill me lol.

Discussion starter · #206 · (Edited)
Well found a major problem w/ the Detroit Axle Titan LCA's... The coilover mount is too short. It doesn't allow the coilover to seat properly in the mount. So if I wanted to use these, I would have to cut the shock mount tabs off and weld in new ones. I don't have time for that so I ordered new bushings and ball joints from rock auto with next day shipping and this way, I know the coilovers will mount properly on the OEM LCA. They are about 1/4" off from the OEM mounts.

Pardon the language but after fighting for 2 days getting the old one off and new one on... I'm a bit frustrated lol

Discussion starter · #207 · (Edited)
Time to update this thing lol. As you can see from above, Detroit Axle Titan LCA's do not work with the Tundra Coilover setup. So I rush ordered ball joints and bushings and put the OEM's back on and everything was back functional again.

Prepped and drove the 25+hrs (one way) to Moab and maaaaannnnn I almost forgot how long and rough that road trip is lol. Averaged 10-12mpgs the ENTIRE trip. 2nd Leg of the trip I averaged 10mpgs and in headwinds which royally sucked but we made it without any hiccups! Stopped and went through Colorado and stayed at a friends house in Arkansas and then made the journey back home. Grand total over 4,100-ish miles round trip.

Arrived Friday afternoon and set up camp and had a nice relaxing Saturday exploring Archs National Park which is absolutely gorgeous! So here's a few pics

Stopped on fumes at this old gas station. Manual Pumps and even let me pay after pumping. Gotta admit, it was pretty cool to see these pumps still in use.

Archs National Park

Discussion starter · #208 ·
I didn't get a whole lot of shots but here are few. I tackled Top of the World, Porcupine Rim, Steel Bender, Secret Spire and Fins and Things. I didn't plan on Steel Bender but the weather was absolutely CRAZY this week. We had a combination of Rain, Hail, Snow and everything in between. So Wednesday and Thursday trails were very limited. Anyway, her are some pics!

TOTW:

Discussion starter · #209 ·
Porcupine Rim:

Infiniti QX45 on 37's

Group Shot

Steel Bender: (Didn't get a lot of pics, we ran this pretty quick) Did the drop and man oh man, was it sketchy! You're basically standing upright on the brake pedal lol.

Here's the clips of us going down The Drop

? for ya. Do you know if the sliders were cut back on the fwd side to let the front wheels go to full lock without rubbing?

? for ya. Do you know if the sliders were cut back on the fwd side to let the front wheels go to full lock without rubbing?
Not sure if this helps you, but when I went to 35's and cut the fenders, I had to get White Knuckle to shorten the slider when they made them for me. I cut/bent a good 2.5" at least so measure your sliders and see where it protrudes.

Discussion starter · #214 ·
They are white knuckle sliders so there was no modification required. I just got their standard set for a 2" BL. If your sliders are catching at full lock, they are WAY too long

Discussion starter · #215 ·
Not sure if this helps you, but when I went to 35's and cut the fenders, I had to get White Knuckle to shorten the slider when they made them for me. I cut/bent a good 2.5" at least so measure your sliders and see where it protrudes.
Dang, Idk but my tires haven't come close to the sliders or evidence of them catching. I've done full lock left and right and they would catch the rest of the fender before catching the slider.

Dang, Idk but my tires haven't come close to the sliders or evidence of them catching. I've done full lock left and right and they would catch the rest of the fender before catching the slider.
Sure, it might not be an issue at all. I just wanted to pass on that advice just in case. I told them (WK) about my modifications and they got me to go out and measure and shortened the slider. It sits right at the edge of the front fender so it's perfect. Worst case you could just cut the tip of the slider off too.

Discussion starter · #217 ·
Sure, it might not be an issue at all. I just wanted to pass on that advice just in case. I told them (WK) about my modifications and they got me to go out and measure and shortened the slider. It sits right at the edge of the front fender so it's perfect. Worst case you could just cut the tip of the slider off too.
Oh ok so it wasn't like your tire was hitting your sliders, you just measured and had it cut shorter as a preventative. That makes sense.

Discussion starter · #219 ·
Exactly, nice pics btw, will try and make it there for GONE next year.
Thanks! Its honestly a must do event. Moab is simply gorgeous and the trails are awesome. I could legit live out there lol

Thanks! Its honestly a must do event. Moab is simply gorgeous and the trails are awesome. I could legit live out there lol
Great pics as always! You've gone thru a lot on your build. OK, so based on your experiences on Moab, what would the 35s do that my 33s can't do, as far as trails? I know that 35s require a TS at least, so it's in my plans. GONE is a possibility for next year!

201 - 220 of 256 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.