Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
181 - 200 of 256 Posts
Discussion starter · #182 ·
I think I know what happened, likely the same thing I realized I just did. I popped out the OEM pack and left my sleeves in the bushings. I put the Alcans in with the bushings not even thinking about the sleeves. Luckily I still have my sleeves and was ordering new bushings anyway.
Lucky! I wish I was that lucky. There was nothing in mine. The bushings were just destroyed

Discussion starter · #186 ·
Small update:

Dropped the truck off at the shop to have them install the metal sleeves and to have a cylinder 1 misfire fixed. I'm also throwing P0430 code which is Bank 2 Cat below threshold. So I'm looking into deleting the front cats and just having rears. I also was having a squishy brake issue. They tried to bleed the brakes but the bleeder valves were all seized and frozen. It was recommended that I get all new calipers... yay.

Discussion starter · #187 ·
Smallish update. Picked the truck up and I wanted to test the brakes before I went out and bought new calipers. They didn't feel squishy anymore which was odd but I went ahead and ordered them anyway since GONE is coming up and the last thing I need is the damn brakes to go out.

Both the passenger side cats were completely clogged so they gutted the front cats for me and I ordered a new rear cat. Also ordered a new muffler. Went w/ the Flowmaster Super 44 Dual in/Single out. From the videos and audio I could find, it should sounds nice and throaty but not rice-y. I should have the truck back hopefully by the end of the week. The muffler should be here today.

Just noticed you painted the Kangaroo tan on your snork... haha. I've had this idea for a while but not sure how best to do it. What did you use? Tape and spray paint? Pen?

Discussion starter · #189 ·
Just noticed you painted the Kangaroo tan on your snork... haha. I've had this idea for a while but not sure how best to do it. What did you use? Tape and spray paint? Pen?
I just used some craft pant. It's holding up fine on the snorkel head but the one close to the body is coming off. Next time I'll just use a paint pen and then touch it up as needed.

Discussion starter · #190 ·
Finally got the truck back to running order. Gutted the front 2 Cats, new rear cat and Flowmaster Super 44 installed. Absolutely love the sound it makes now. Here's a quick vid

I'm still getting the 420/430 Cat codes but I'm getting some O2 Sensor extenders to alleviate the CEL code. Next on the list is replacing the calipers. GONE is approaching fast and I gotta get it to 100%

Finally got the truck back to running order. Gutted the front 2 Cats, new rear cat and Flowmaster Super 44 installed. Absolutely love the sound it makes now. Here's a quick vid

https://youtu.be/646x2Da_A0U

I'm still getting the 420/430 Cat codes but I'm getting some O2 Sensor extenders to alleviate the CEL code. Next on the list is replacing the calipers. GONE is approaching fast and I gotta get it to 100%
Dude! That things sounds like a V8 now!! Seemed like no matter what people do the sound is still meh with the v6 but yours turned out great! Good job!

Discussion starter · #192 ·
Dude! That things sounds like a V8 now!! Seemed like no matter what people do the sound is still meh with the v6 but yours turned out great! Good job!
Thanks man! It's got a pretty deep drone to it doing cruising speeds but I love it. Eventually I'll do a full blown exhaust but tbh, I probably won't do that until I can manage a VK swap.

Discussion starter · #193 · (Edited)
Moab Prep has begun.... I needed to change out the calipers and put all new pads, I need to modify the engine skid to fit w/ the rad skid and that's really about it. I will need to buy some spare tie rods and maybe a CV but other than that, I should be good to go.

Brakes were feeling spongy so I attempted to bleed them. ALL the bleeder valves were seized and rusted so I replaced all the calipers and all new pads. I wasn't originally going to change the pads out since they still had some meat on them but I figured with everything being apart, I might as well and its a good thing too because the rear pad fell apart in 2 pieces and the metal back plate fell off it. It also turned out that whoever put the calipers on before me, had them on wrong. They had the passenger side on the driver side and vise versa. The bleeder valve was at the bottom of the caliper instead of the top so I corrected that as well. Bled them the proper way 3 times and they still felt spongy. So I had to drop it off to the mechanic for a vacuum bleed hoping that will solve the issue. I'm hoping the master cylinder isn't on its way out.

Of course it poured down rain before I could finish so I had to wait a day... This, for some reason, got the front calipers all nice and rusty looking. Even though they brand new. I could wipe the majority of them off but I just cleaned them with brake cleaner and put it all back together.

Discussion starter · #194 ·
I also have to modify the DIY Engine Skid. I'm going to try and bolt it up and figure out a way to bend it up then cut it off so it fits properly. That's one skid I definitely need to have lol.

Discussion starter · #195 ·
Oh and my awning decided to break while driving down the road Friday...

I think it was more of a mounting issue than quality issue.
It's mounted like this:

And now I'll somehow make a bracket like this:

Discussion starter · #196 ·
**Update**

Took the truck to the shop to have the brakes re-bled and that seems to have fixed the issue. Now I've got a clunking in the front end when I come to a sudden stop. It could be a bracket bolt or something so I'll have to jump under it and double check bolts and what not. Still need to mount and modify the engine skid and then rewire my CB but other than that, I'll be ready to go for GONE. I just need to get under it, check all the bolts, grease any fittings and whatnot.

Discussion starter · #197 ·
Here’s a quick clip of it clunking/popping 3 times. I’m still clueless to what it is. Was under the truck for an hour looking and inspecting. I did find a small tear in a cv boot but other than that, nothing seems out of place. It’s more of a random clunk as today, I drove it for about 30-ish min and no clunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine has a random clunk on it too that neither me or @TerryD could find out what's causing it. I've had mine since before my TS and since I've changed out everything including going to the m205 best I could figure is it's my steering rack going out. Could be the same for yours.

Discussion starter · #199 ·
Mine has a random clunk on it too that neither me or @TerryD could find out what's causing it. I've had mine since before my TS and since I've changed out everything including going to the m205 best I could figure is it's my steering rack going out. Could be the same for yours.

My steering rack is only a few months old and I replaced the bushings with performance poly bushings. I’m going to change out my lca bushings and see if that helps. I’m mostly worried because I’m about to make the 26+hr drive to Moab for GONE and I can’t have this break down 1k miles from home

My steering rack is only a few months old and I replaced the bushings with performance poly bushings. I’m going to change out my lca bushings and see if that helps. I’m mostly worried because I’m about to make the 26+hr drive to Moab for GONE and I can’t have this break down 1k miles from home

Not sure if those would cause the issue like that but make sure you chalk your cams with the frame so you can put it back the same way and avoid another alignment. Good luck finding it out :salute:

181 - 200 of 256 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.