Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
on line
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other day i was talking to a mechanic about the governor on the X and he told me he could take it off its just a matter of finding it i was wondering if anyone else has taken theirs off or has any helpful insight on it?

·
on line
268 Posts
it's not a matter of taking anything 'off' as it is electronic and programed into the ECU. Don't know why anyone would want to get rid of it anyways. I don't even want to think about how an X handles at those speeds.

·
on line
113 Posts
There may be a way, but I'm pretty sure the governor function is controlled by a chip in your ECU. Changing/removing it would involve removing your ECU and sending it out to someone to get it reprogrammed. That would probably void your warranty and possibly leave you with a truck that wont run at all and needing a replacement ECU, which probably isn't cheap.

·
on line
1,891 Posts
I don't like to admit it or do it, but I've done triple digits in my X before, driving across the country when I moved from Hawaii to North Carolina. I hit 125, and had no problems with the governor kicking in or anything.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Can't blame you for the idea sikX, but just think of your mileage at 110 MPH, you know commute !!!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
735 Posts
As far as i know, the biggest single reason to cut off speed at 100 mph or 115 mph, etc is because the typical truck and suv tire would be speed rated to 112-118 mph as the maximum engineered safe speed. it really doesn't have much to do with the speed limit. Most performance cars from Europe are set at 155mph (I think about 250 km/hr) due to the ZR tire rating's limit.

turn off the limiter if you want, but change your donuts to be good for 130 mph on the road.

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Muzikman said:
Then your speedometer is off. It kicks in some where around 110.
That's what my guages and my gps said i was traveling at. That and when I drive around normally it tells me the right speed. I do not make it a habit to drive that fast, that was the only time I've gone into the triple digits in my X.

·
on line
142 Posts
I have had my X up to 120 and my nav confirmed it as well. The governor kicked in right at 120. This was on a well known straight/flat stretch of interstate with no traffic.

·
on line
631 Posts
i hit 120 and the governor didnt kick in... but hitting speeds that fast is scary in a SUV

·
on line
142 Posts
A stock X, i.e. no lift, is quite stable at high speeds compared to other SUV's. Try an 01 Ford Explorer at 110, now that's a scary ride.

·
on line
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pluckyduck said:
A stock X, i.e. no lift, is quite stable at high speeds compared to other SUV's. Try an 01 Ford Explorer at 110, now that's a scary ride.
being a passenger in it is much more scarier lol my friend had an old ass explorer man it was literally the ride of my life everytime but still they were good times i suppose x_X

·
on line
496 Posts
Well I can't confirm exactly where the gov. kicks in but w/ my Frankenlift and 33's 105?/170kmh is sustainable but not real relaxing in my X. Not to mention 1 tank of gas for a Stuttgart to Frankfurt run(189 miles roughly). However people do tend to yield to the sight of a biga&& Shrock bumper approaching in their mirror. :pirate:

·
on line
236 Posts
AZ-Ted said:
The top end is like 112 mph. IMHO, there is no need to mess with your ECU (and your warranty) just to go faster.
Back in my stock days I got mine to 114 on an open desert highway. Handled awsome... Though I wouldn't have wanted to make any sudden turns. It slowed easily, accelarated slowly, handled gentle turns like it was glued to the pavement, oh... And I wasn't about to brake check at that speed.

Now that I'm heavely modded... I go slightly faster (well in theory, I don't wanna test it) from my tire change... What's that another 6 MPH. So I should top out at 120 MPH now. With the lift and armor... Ahh... No, too fast for me... And I love racing... Just not in lifted tanks :)

Grunzen said:
However people do tend to yield to the sight of a biga&& Shrockworks bumper approaching in their mirror.
Yeah AZ drivers don't care about the Shrock stuff here... They still will damn near clip ya. Though I do have one confirmed kill (re-ended by a Sentra, $287 in damages to the X, totaled the Sentra). I'm planning a lighted sign for the front hoop... If I ever finish it, I'll post som pics.

-MadManX

-MadManX

·
on line
1,479 Posts
npgtech said:
I don't like to admit it or do it, but I've done triple digits in my X before, driving across the country when I moved from Hawaii to North Carolina. I hit 125, and had no problems with the governor kicking in or anything.
That first stretch from Hawaii to CA must of been a bitch! :iconbiggrin:

·
on line
1,744 Posts
When I was posted to Alberta last year where you can see straight stretches of highway for 10km I saw a knights armour OR X hit 170km/h the only limitation (based on my observation) was the gearing not the engine or any kind of electronic limiter. Anyway it felt...err ahh I mean it looked stable to me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts