Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving back to Boston from Michigan a couple weeks ago. Right off the bat on our trip I drove past a road painting rig that must've sprayed the side of my truck. By the time we saw it, it was already dry. My Father in law suggested a clay bar, which removed a lot of the spread out flakes.

There are huge piles of paint that will need something more. I've searched online and found a couple ideas, but wanted to get everyone's opinion on here. I don't have any access to a Power Washer.

I'm not worried about the Wheel Wells, or Side Steps. I'm just going to spray paint them (I have to keep the steps on for my Wife since she's 5' 4".) What would be a good spray paint to use? The bottom of the doors are the concern. I don't need a spotless truck, but I don't want something that looks like dried man goo all over my truck. :iconbiggrin:

Appreciate any and all advice.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Hmm... when I saw this title I thought it was just going to be a few drops of paint. Clay bar would work well on a few drops or splashes but it is not going to cut it here. I have have recently had some good luck with goof off and have used the heavy duty remover on our clear coat but it only to remove a small area of not very dry over spray so your experience may vary...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How close did you get to the big truck with a sign and flashing lights ?
I avoided it as much as possible, but they had limited the amount of space with Cement barriers, so I'm assuming a TON of cars are ****ed up.

Thanks for the input so far, everyone.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Theres gotta be some sort of light stripping wheel for this kind of stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi, if it hasn't been too long try spraying wd40 in the paint if it starts to run then hose it off and apply again,let it sit a bit and repeat till gone

·
Registered
595 Posts
Man...I'd be pissed. Try the WD-40 suggested above (though knowing WD, I'm skeptical) before taking any abrasive measures. Good luck.

WTF are they doing spraying like that in active traffic???

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Man...I'd be pissed. Try the WD-40 suggested above (though knowing WD, I'm skeptical) before taking any abrasive measures. Good luck.

The union can only work during certain hours, and you can't always shut down a major road to do some maintenance work.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The union can only work during certain hours, and you can't always shut down a major road to do some maintenance work.
Are you kidding? In other words, how dare a taxpayer drive on a public road, paid for and maintained with funds that he (in part) provides and not expect to get sprayed with road paint?

Or, are we just talking about the obtuse attitude that government in general has combined with the idiocy of unions? Perhaps signs should be mounted advising the travelling public of the union break schedule so they can travel without fear during that time? Hey - another sign guy would at least provide for another union job...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, if it hasn't been too long try spraying wd40 in the paint if it starts to run then hose it off and apply again,let it sit a bit and repeat till gone
I can try that tomorrow. Can't hurt.

It could've been a glitch with the machine, they could've accidentally been too close to the traffic, I'm not sure.

No point in being pissed though. As much as I love my truck, it's just that, a truck. Materials can be replaced :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
If it'd had happened with my last truck (2000 Dakota), I'd not have cared too much. With a 2012 (pinstriped as she is), I'm a bit more protective against articficial and road type damage. I'd be pissed off. I did not say that I'd get out of the truck and start shooting or anything! :) Materials can indeed be replaced.

There's still no excuse for it - just like there's no real excuse for poor customer service or shoddy workmanship anywhere. Apologies and making things right are one thing. Sticking you with the bill, or with the time and effort, are another.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Are you kidding? In other words, how dare a taxpayer drive on a public road, paid for and maintained with funds that he (in part) provides and not expect to get sprayed with road paint?

Or, are we just talking about the obtuse attitude that government in general has combined with the idiocy of unions? Perhaps signs should be mounted advising the travelling public of the union break schedule so they can travel without fear during that time? Hey - another sign guy would at least provide for another union job...
Somebody needs a hug :rolleyes:

As for the op , I have used goo gone to remove stuff like tar, bugs, sap, stickers, etc.

It will take wax off if you leave it on too long but I think you might get a new wax job anyways once you get it off,

If not you could always bedline the bottom panels, it would look good and protect from future chips etc.

Lots of pictures on here of what it looks like.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
yeah I was gonna suggest what the guy above me suggested. if nothing works, I would spray both sides of the truck, on the lower portion (like from the side moldings down or whatever you feel comfortable with) with bedliner. you can feel free to sand that crap down and the spray bedliner over it. i may do that one day with my truck if I get more rock chips and such. anyways that really sucks and i wouldve called the damn government of whatever state it was in to bitch and make them pay to fix it. good luck.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't want to be a ****, but I doubt the truck sprayed you. It looks like you were driving on the line. A buddy of mine was being stupid and driving drunk. He used the line to keep it straight, problem was the lines were wet. He drove for miles down the highway on the line. The next morning his car was way worse than yours, but still similar pattern. Anyway, the point of my story is, he had luck with the WD-40 method.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts