Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(these are replacements for stock height)

Front
RS99787

Rear
RS99314

yeah, that's right, they have 'em for the fronts now too. (maybe some of these guys will start including them in a kit)

I just ordered the rears from 4wheelparts. they were listing them at $85.99 each. the guys at AC said they would sell the lift versions for $75 each (althought they won't give out the rancho part number, whaaa!) and they guy at 4wheel parts said he would match the price. so, i figured i would rather pay tax than shipping. should see them my mid next week and i will post a review also.

ps. for the fronts, i think 4wheelparts said they were like $129 each or someting but didn't feel like messin' with them yet. with the labor cost involved, i didn't think it was quite worth it yet unless i was going with a lift too.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
USMC XTERRA said:
Typical AC. They always act like they "Make" the part or Contract to have it made "Just for them"

It's only matter of time we have extra length ones for up front.

MC
agreed that is total BS not releasing the parts.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,248 Posts
AARGHH!!!

I called 4wheelparts (twice). The second time was earlier today. The sales rep I spoke with today put me on hold to call Rancho. He was told by whomever he spoke to that Rancho doesn't currently offer anything for the '05-'06 X's.

So... then I called AC (I think I just heard MC groan). They told me that Rancho did just release stock ride height shocks, but that they probably won't release extended lift shocks until they release an actual lift kit, which does make some sense. Jane double checked with one of her guys and confirmed that the RS9000X adjustable shocks they are currentlyselling for "Xterras with 1.5-3 inches of lift" are actually from another application (pathfinder again?) but include the sleeves necessary to bolt them up to the Xterra.

Anyway... I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered them. It seems like a cheaper alternative to the Pro-Comp MX6070, which according the Pro-Comp application guide, is actually for a lifted CJ or YJ Jeep. I let everyone know how well they do or don't fit.

This is getting old...
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,407 Posts
OregonX said:
So... then I called AC (I think I just heard MC groan).
Wow a newbie even knows of the MC and AC love connection! :compress:
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
B Slater said:
OregonX said:
So... then I called AC (I think I just heard MC groan).
Wow a newbie even knows of the MC and AC love connection! :compress:
I think it is by-law #1.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
OregonX said:
AARGHH!!!

I called 4wheelparts (twice). The second time was earlier today. The sales rep I spoke with today put me on hold to call Rancho. He was told by whomever he spoke to that Rancho doesn't currently offer anything for the '05-'06 X's.

So... then I called AC (I think I just heard MC groan). They told me that Rancho did just release stock ride height shocks, but that they probably won't release extended lift shocks until they release an actual lift kit, which does make some sense. Jane double checked with one of her guys and confirmed that the RS9000X adjustable shocks they are currentlyselling for "Xterras with 1.5-3 inches of lift" are actually from another application (pathfinder again?) but include the sleeves necessary to bolt them up to the Xterra.

Anyway... I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered them. It seems like a cheaper alternative to the Pro-Comp MX6070, which according the Pro-Comp application guide, is actually for a lifted CJ or YJ Jeep. I let everyone know how well they do or don't fit.

This is getting old...
the longer travel ranchos will work just fine. the only problem - and i mean it's a very minor problem, is that you will have to shim them out with washers to fit the lower shock mounts. that and you have to use your stock bolts off the X, rather than the one's supplied from rancho. really not a big deal at all, unless you are super picky, or building a show rig, or whatever.

:thumbright:
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,248 Posts
dynamix said:
the longer travel ranchos will work just fine. the only problem - and i mean it's a very minor problem, is that you will have to shim them out with washers to fit the lower shock mounts. that and you have to use your stock bolts off the X, rather than the one's supplied from rancho. really not a big deal at all, unless you are super picky, or building a show rig, or whatever.
That's good to hear. When Jane said that it came w/ "sleeves," I assume she meant washers.

I'm beginning to understand MC's frustrations. The kid who answered the phone when I called gave me some serious brain pain when I was attempting to get him to tell me if these were new shocks or shocks from a different application. He finally put me on the phone w/ Jane and she squared me away. I won't badmouth them yet. I haven't had any serious problems yet and I do like their front coils.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah..............uh..................not happinin'...............!

so let me recap!!

thurs (of last week that is!!), i CALL rancho to get part numbers and i hear the girl type in my info and she gives the part number for the shocks.............that's all!


so, fri, i go into 4wheel parts, in their system, the part number comes up all well and good, the don't have them in stock (locally or at the warehouse), so i order the part. later that day, my guy calls rancho and orders the part and they say it will be i should see it thurs or fri.

thurs i call, and my guy says he hasn't seen anything and will make a call. calls rancho and they say it is still on the way.

today (fri), i get a call from another guy at 4wheelparts and he tells me that rancho was in touch with him and the shocks WON'T BE READY UNTILL THE END OF THE SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggghhttt. so on 3 (that's THREE) occasions, rancho didn't tell us that they were not available. INCLUDING the first time i called rancho and she punched it up in her computer!!!!!

what does end of summer mean?........................your guess is as good as ours (mine and 4wheelparts.........their not to happy either).

so.............yeah.........that's where we are on that.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,248 Posts
dynamix said:
the longer travel ranchos will work just fine. the only problem - and i mean it's a very minor problem, is that you will have to shim them out with washers to fit the lower shock mounts. that and you have to use your stock bolts off the X, rather than the one's supplied from rancho. really not a big deal at all, unless you are super picky, or building a show rig, or whatever.

:thumbright:
Hmmm...

I received my shocks today. Cracked open the boxes and saw that AC threw in 6 washers, 4 sleeves, no extra bolts and no instructions of any sort. With two shocks and 6 washers, I was a little confused as to how I was supposed to shim the shock mounts. So I called AC. The guy who answered was fairly confused, apparently. He had to put the phone down twice to go ask somebody for an answer. He then got back on the phone and told me that I'm supposed to shim the bottom AND TOP of each shock with a washer, and that they threw in a couple of extras just in case. This sound right to you, Dynamix?
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
no. i dont recall shimming the top mount points. i think they were fine. probably the reason you have 6 washers is to use 3 on each of the lower mounts. you might use 3 per mount, (i think i did) in order to get the proper thickness so as not to bend the mounting tabs inward.

I would probably use the ones they sent plus any spares you have around, or just go to lowes or home depot if you need to get some more they're like 12cents.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i go into 4wheel to get the refund on my card and my guy starts scratching his head as to what the other guy tells me. so get gets on the phone with rancho and after some rather annoyed questions, he gets no where. does a little more searching in their system and finds two that just arived in the cali distribution center, called them and they will be here tomorrow.

so i will get them on fri night or sat morning and let yall know. i won't give them too much of a test cause it's supposed to be 114 here this weekend. not so fun outside!
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,248 Posts
dynamix said:
no. i dont recall shimming the top mount points. i think they were fine. probably the reason you have 6 washers is to use 3 on each of the lower mounts. you might use 3 per mount, (i think i did) in order to get the proper thickness so as not to bend the mounting tabs inward.

I would probably use the ones they sent plus any spares you have around, or just go to lowes or home depot if you need to get some more they're like 12cents.
Thanks. I appreciate the info. It would be nice if AC told me this!!
 

·
on line
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
right, so i put them on last night and got a them out today..................WAY BETTER!!!!!!

they still aren't a cure all but they are definately better than stock. especially when they are dialed up. the low setting is pretty weak. i took it down a trail and over some spots that normaly bottom out and it didn't happen.

so, this is a pretty good option for those that don't wanna do the lift.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,248 Posts
waterman7474 said:
right, so i put them on last night and got a them out today..................WAY BETTER!!!!!!

they still aren't a cure all but they are definately better than stock. especially when they are dialed up. the low setting is pretty weak. i took it down a trail and over some spots that normaly bottom out and it didn't happen.

so, this is a pretty good option for those that don't wanna do the lift.
Nice. I hadn't picked up on the fact that these were adjustable ones. I know you got the run around from Rancho and 4wheelparts after you placed the initial order. I'm assuming that the part numbers in your original post are still correct?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
Okay, I got my rancho 9000's today. I received 2 washers and a ~1" long sleeve with each shock.

I know the washers go on the bottom. What do I do with the sleeve. Not freakin' instructions. Bastards.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
dynamix said:
the sleeves go in the bushings. protects your bushing from premature wear.
Hmm. Wonder why I only have 1 sleeve per shock. Also, I guess I need to press them in there?
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top