Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my PIAA's! Install was easy, just time consuming because i wanted everything to come out clean and not looking ghetto. All i need now is the lift and tires and i'm ready to go! :headbang:

Obviously the wiring going through the grill needs to be cleaned up, but let me know what you guys think. I don't plan on keeping this truck forever, so here's what i did to accomplish my goal without having to buy any kind of lightbar / bumper:

1. Remove the grill assembly.
2. Tape off the entire area where the lights are to be mounted.
3. Measure once, measure again, and then check a third time to make sure they are all spaced out evenly and on the same horizontal line.
4. Measure one last time...just for good measure.
5. Drill through the tape, the bumper, and finall the metal bumper beam. (It actually works out nicely because once the lights go through the bumper cover and bumper beam, everything stays rock solid...no bouncing!)
6. Remove the blue tape.
7. Install the lights...making sure to tighten up EVERYTHING.
8. Hook up the wiring, test the wiring, and finally get everything buttoned up before properly training them where to shine.

·
on line
631 Posts
hey i got the same thing on mine! except with only 2 lights...

looks good! i like the PIAAs over my cheap-o autozone crappy lights. i think im gonna upgrade since the holes are there now

·
on line
564 Posts
Very nice! Where did you mount the switch(s)?

Rob

·
on line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the switches are tucked under the dash...on the drivers side "kick panel" if you will. That way i can reach down and flick 'em on easy enough, but don't have to see the annoying red/green light all the time. I'm sad to report that for some reason two of the lights stopped working. I'm not sure why (or how), but even after checking the wiring AND fuses, two lights still refuse to light...so i'm going to have to give 'em a call.

*One side note for people thinking of doing this install: Light dispersement is awesome for this method...and i've gotten nothing but complements from people on the street, however there is a little bit of "light bounce" that i'm going to try and remedy...my friend told me they just aren't tight enough so i'll test it and get back to you. But as mentioned before, I'm happy...*

·
on line
3,262 Posts
you could have burnt the light during the install... did you disconnect the battery before installing the switches??? If not i bet you popped them when connnecting the power.... I did the same thing to one of mine!! LOL

Oh and to clean the wires up going into the grill just get some of this stuff..... you can find it at autoparts stores and stereo stores in just about any color you can think of.

·
on line
631 Posts
yea i have some "light bounce" too. i have 2 procomp 55 watt long range lights mounted the same way you do. i put a washer between the plastic bumper fascia and the light mounting bracket. it looks funny, but now i dont have any light bounce. i just used a fender washer i had in my tool box. im going to paint the washer black, maybe use a sharpie or something to make it look better.

when i had the driving lights mounted, the light bounce was less noticeable... because now i have a spot light pattern so now i can see better. try dogging the nut down but dont over tighten. if it doesnt help try the washer trick

·
on line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
S_e_X-Terra said:
you could have burnt the light during the install... did you disconnect the battery before installing the switches??? If not i bet you popped them when connnecting the power.... I did the same thing to one of mine!! LOL

Oh and to clean the wires up going into the grill just get some of this stuff..... you can find it at autoparts stores and stereo stores in just about any color you can think of.

The lights worked for approximately two weeks before they burned out...i'll be doing some further checking one day that i don't get stuck working late. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts