Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came home today and saw that the UPS man had left me a big 'ol package! This was a surprise since on Demello's site, the order status is still 'pending' lol.

Anyway, for those of you who don't know, Demello Offroad is legendary in the Toyota crowd, and these are sliders for a older style Tacoma (I think it was 98-04 or something).
They measure 81.75" (3/4" longer than Shrockworks).
They have 4 braces per side, and 4 legs to mount to the frame per side.
Hopefully I will have time this week to make up some mounting brackets, they come with some generic L-brackets, but I am going to make some brackets to mount them exactly like the Shrockbars, then use 2 of the L-brakcets per side as well. Then maybe I will have time to get my buddy to weld them up easter weekend.

Anyway, here are some mock-up pics of where they will be mounted.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Looks good, I can't wait to see the finished product, especially your brackets.
I've got a set of TrailGear DIY sliders laying in my garage, waiting to get welded up.

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got back from Harbor Freight...man I love that place, I got 4 welding magnets, a magnetic torpedo level, and 3 step-drill bits for $20!
These magnets are going to make welding sooo much easier, I was worried they weren't going to be strong enough, but they are almost too strong!
.... and how do you like those gussets, they're HUGE!

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$199, and it came just like you see, All I did was stick the stuff togeather with the magnets, it all comes pre-cut like that.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
willgr1 said:
i like these sliders, i may pick up a set once i see how they work out for you installing them....plus i gotta find out how much the metal shop will charge for the welding.
Unless you really like the slider, and I could see why you would (Demello's stuff kicks a$$), I would get Shrocks. Granted, I'm in the middle of putting TrailGear DIY sliders on mine. I wanted 3 braces, 3 legs and to save money. I wouldn't be saving any money if I were paying myself or my buds for this amount of work. It's awfully fun though and garage beer is cheap. Unless Jason started making kits for an X, it would be cheaper to buy Trailgear, but remember these are not pre-cut. The shop have to measure and cut, not just weld your stuff up. If Demello has X sliders, really give them a look.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
norshor said:
willgr1 said:
i like these sliders, i may pick up a set once i see how they work out for you installing them....plus i gotta find out how much the metal shop will charge for the welding.
Unless you really like the slider, and I could see why you would (Demello's stuff kicks a$$), I would get Shrocks. Granted, I'm in the middle of putting TrailGear DIY sliders on mine. I wanted 3 braces, 3 legs and to save money. I wouldn't be saving any money if I were paying myself or my buds for this amount of work. It's awfully fun though and garage beer is cheap. Unless Jason started making kits for an X, it would be cheaper to buy Trailgear, but remember these are not pre-cut. The shop have to measure and cut, not just weld your stuff up. If Demello has X sliders, really give them a look.
Agreed... the amount of work is substantial. If there was some way you could do all the work yourself and get at least everything tack-welded in place, then drop it off at a welder for just the welds, you may come out okay on cost. But, if you have to have a fabricator do any figuring (ie, measure and cut, get things to line up, fab any brackets, etc), you are more than likely better off buying some ready to bolt on units, like the Shrocks. Really the only way you are saving money with this route is if you can do the work yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts