Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to keep my xterra's suspension stock due to my garage clearance and warranty..(Lifetime). I have a 07 X S model and just want to upgrade the rubber only. Will Duratrac's 285/75/R16 work (without ANY other mods) or with just the melt mod?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I want to keep my xterra's suspension stock due to my garage clearance and warranty..(Lifetime). I have a 07 X S model and just want to upgrade the rubber only. Will Duratrac's 285/75/R16 work (without ANY other mods) or with just the melt mod?
I don't think so. Mine still catch the top of my wheel well when braking and turning at the same time and I have a 2" lift on my truck.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If you're worried about the warranty i don't think you could go any larger than stock considering the added stress on the tranny bigger tires can cause. They will make ANY excuse not to have to pay to make a repair, don't give them a reason . even an aftermarket radio is enough to void the warranty.

With my X i threw the 3 year bumper to bumper in the garbage and started modding it to my personal specifications right out of the box

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
If you're worried about the warranty i don't think you could go any larger than stock considering the added stress on the tranny bigger tires can cause. They will make ANY excuse not to have to pay to make a repair, don't give them a reason . even an aftermarket radio is enough to void the warranty.
^^ Urban myth^^

Aftermarket parts do not automatically void the warranty. It is possible, but the dealer needs to give proof,in writing, that the aftermarket part is the cause of failure. I.E... an aftermarket stereo will not affect any warranty work due to a transmission failure. Look up the Moss-Magnusson Consumer Protection Act for further education.

This of course only applies to residents of the US. Other countries may or may not have similar consumer protection laws.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^ Urban myth^^

Aftermarket parts do not automatically void the warranty. It is possible, but the dealer needs to give proof,in writing, that the aftermarket part is the cause of failure. I.E... an aftermarket stereo will not affect any warranty work due to a transmission failure. Look up the Moss-Magnusson Consumer Protection Act for further education.

This of course only applies to residents of the US. Other countries may or may not have similar consumer protection laws.
My warranty is through the Nissan dealer as a LIFETIME powertrain warranty.. Im afraid to call and ask them if getting these tires will void that. I could always just throw em on and maybe the tech wont notice the larger size rubber? :cheers: lol

·
Registered
988 Posts

With my X i threw the 3 year bumper to bumper in the garbage and started modding it to my personal specifications right out of the box
Not true, they have to be able to reasonably prove or document that the part that failed was a result of the aftermarket part you have on.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Ducatidom and humz nailed it. Providing warranty service is not whimsical. The dealer/manufacturer must establish a direct link to the optional part.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Not true, they have to be able to reasonably prove or document that the part that failed was a result of the aftermarket part you have on.
Over sized tires cause a transmission computer error and fried my whole tranny on my dodge . I know His X wont have the same problem but with dodge, over sized tires voided my warranty. Just my personal experience .. I'm definitely no lawyer. Cost me over 5g . what really sucked, is it could have been prevented by a simple reprogram of the TCU. (60$)

Like i said , i'm not lawyer. :dontknow: definitely worth contacting the warranty holder and asking though. Even if you're in the right it doesn't necessarily mean that they wont fight you tooth and nail over it

EDIT: Just to be clear I'm not disagreeing with you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts