Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
TNX Senior Member / (NORAC) Club Moderator
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post up what trails you are planning to run at GONEMoab 2016, and/or if you need advice on what trails you want to run based on your skill set as a driver.

·
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm running the following:

Monday - Flat Iron Mesa (Reverse)
Tuesday - Jax Trax
Wednesday - Backwards Bill
Thursday - Poison Spider Mesa
Friday - Hells Revenge (with all optional routes)

Will be fun this year!

·
Registered
489 Posts
MONDAY: Hells Revenge
TUESDAY: Seven Mile Rim
WEDNESDAY: Shaffer Trail/Lathrop Canyon Cliffs
THURSDAY: Dome Plateau
FRIDAY: Fins N Things

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Monday: Hell's Revenge
Tuesday: Jax Trax
Wednesday: Backward's Bill
Thursday: Elephant Hill
Friday: Fins and Things

·
Registered
630 Posts
Monday: Top of the world (just have to do that nit to tire commerciL with a drone and "X's" instead of Jeeps
Tuesday Jax Trax
Tuesday night: Fins & Things
Wednesday: Flat iron Mesa
Thursday: Poison Spider
Friday: Hells Revenge

If anyone gets there early or wishes to stay another day...
I would like to do Elephant run, chicken corners, & fins & things, onion creek as well.

I am also willing to do long canyon and shafer trail canyon at night another night too

·
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Monday: Top of the world (just have to do that nit to tire commerciL with a drone and "X's" instead of Jeeps
Tuesday Jax Trax
Tuesday night: Find and Thingz
Wednesday: Flat iron Mesa
Thursday: Poison Spider
Friday: Hells Revenge

If anyone gets there early or wishes to stay another day...
I would like to do Elephant run, chicken corners, & find and things, onion creek as well.

I am also willing to do long canyon and shearer trail canyon at night another night too
I'll be arriving on Saturday, Running a trail Sunday morning and staying through the next Saturday. Hook up with me as the time gets closer.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
If by "Elephant Run" you mean "Elephant Hill", you're going to need a permit to run it outside of the goneMOAB event. See this link:
Day-Use Permits - Canyonlands National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Plus, it's a LONG day for this run. No way to make it on Sunday and get back in time for the meet and greet.
Most of the other trails you mention should be do-able, although not all of them. Shafer Trail and Lathrop Canyon also require permits outside of the goneMOAB event. See link below:
White Rim Road - Canyonlands National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
I'm not trying to discourage you but am just trying to make sure you're informed of what is out there. unixmandt and I are good friends and would welcome others for a not-part-of-goneMOAB outing before or after the official event. :)

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
And I stand slightly corrected. From the link I posted earlier, here is the exclusion for the Shafer Trail:

"White Rim Road
For the White Rim Road, a total of 50 day-use vehicle permits (including motorcycles) and 50 day-use bicycle permits will be available each day. Group size will be limited to three vehicles and 15 bicycles. Groups must be separated by 30 minutes of travel time. You do not need a permit if you plan to drive only on the Shafer Trail and Potash Road."

Anything after the Potash Road turnoff will still require a permit, including Lathrop Canyon. All the rest you mention should be ok for casual runs outside of the event. :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
If by "Elephant Run" you mean "Elephant Hill", you're going to need a permit to run it outside of the goneMOAB event. See this link:
Day-Use Permits - Canyonlands National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Plus, it's a LONG day for this run. No way to make it on Sunday and get back in time for the meet and greet.
Most of the other trails you mention should be do-able, although not all of them. Shafer Trail and Lathrop Canyon also require permits outside of the goneMOAB event. See link below:
White Rim Road - Canyonlands National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
I'm not trying to discourage you but am just trying to make sure you're informed of what is out there. unixmandt and I are good friends and would welcome others for a not-part-of-goneMOAB outing before or after the official event. :)
Yep, I know... thanks for reminding me... That's one reason why I am trying to see how many I can get going now, so I can get the permits now.

I was wanting to do Shafer Trail, with LONG Canyon road... not lathrop Canyon. Would like to do this run at night, for the stars... as well as it would be an easier night run. Long canyon road would be at the end of the "circle" on the return back to moab.

Basically going down potash road to Shafer Canyon Trail, then up "Island in the sky Road" Then over to long canyon road which will take us back to Highway 279

I am also trying to book a Colorado River trip. $70 a person, 6 per boat. I am 2. Either booking for Friday or Saturday before GoneMoab, or Friday or Saturday or Sunday after GoneMoab if anyone is interested as well.

However, I will schedule the River trip around Elephant Hill, Shafer/Long Canyon, or a daytime run of Fin & Things (I am doing a night run, but would love to do a day run first)

Since Permits are required... I would prefer to get those as soon as possible.

TGC

·
Registered
630 Posts
And I stand slightly corrected. From the link I posted earlier, here is the exclusion for the Shafer Trail:

"White Rim Road
For the White Rim Road, a total of 50 day-use vehicle permits (including motorcycles) and 50 day-use bicycle permits will be available each day. Group size will be limited to three vehicles and 15 bicycles. Groups must be separated by 30 minutes of travel time. You do not need a permit if you plan to drive only on the Shafer Trail and Potash Road."

Anything after the Potash Road turnoff will still require a permit, including Lathrop Canyon. All the rest you mention should be ok for casual runs outside of the event. :)
Long Canyon road doesn't need a permit either. I called the park service. Running the Potash/Shafer Trail road... then up islands in the sky road, then over to Long canyon road which takes us back to 279 shouldn't be a problem I am sure.

But still want to get several us to go.... much safer and funner in a group, even if 3 vehicles.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Long Canyon road doesn't need a permit either. I called the park service. Running the Potash/Shafer Trail road... then up islands in the sky road, then over to Long canyon road which takes us back to 279 shouldn't be a problem I am sure.

But still want to get several us to go.... much safer and funner in a group, even if 3 vehicles.
Let's keep this open as an option. I've run down Shafer Trail several times but never up, so that would be a new experience. Long Canyon is easy but very scenic. It's better to run it heading east-ish toward Moab for the considerable scenic value, as this route would put us anyway. We probably should try and include a side trip to Dead Horse Point in this run if we do it... it's right along the way and SO worth the view... Anyway, this is shaping up to be a nice pre-gone run... :)

·
TNX Veteran
4,149 Posts

Make sure they have re-opened Long Canyon, there was a rock fall there not too long ago. I honestly don't remember what if any closures happened because of it. They had some earth to move.

And as for the loop you are talking about, I sent my friend to do it in his Subaru Outback. EASY. Beautiful. Give yourself 4 hours from Moab to Moab, not because it takes that long, but because you'll take that long.

Edit: If you are at all interested in photography do the run in the evening hours (not the nighttime) The scenery is stunning (particularly the spot where potash road passes right above the goosenecks). Honestly, there is no point in doing these as a night run.

·
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shafer/Long Canyon, or a daytime run of Fin & Things (I am doing a night run, but would love to do a day run first)
TGC
Just an FYI, the turn off for Shafer Trail is just inside the park fee entrance, so you'll have to pay your $10 per truck to enter the national Park.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Slightly off topic but what time/where is the meet and greet on Sunday? Depending on when that is i might have time to go on a pre gone run. Could be in for one on the Saturday after the event also. During the week I'll have to play by ear. There's too many things I want to do.

·
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Slightly off topic but what time/where is the meet and greet on Sunday? Depending on when that is i might have time to go on a pre gone run. Could be in for one on the Saturday after the event also. During the week I'll have to play by ear. There's too many things I want to do.
The meet and greet last year we at 5:30 PM, so it gives us time Sunday to do a decent run. Last year Xorro and myself did Secret Spire, Dellenbaugh Tunnel, Spring canyon Bottom and Hay Joe Canyon. Hay Joe Canyon became a very hard trail to run, and after 5 obstacles that were the hardest I have ever done, we finally found a place to turn around. The real difficulty of Hay Joe Canyon is you follow the Green River, and are up against a rock face all the way. One slip and you are in the river. Most of the obstacles were large rocks that took a lot of negotiating to go over them. A titan swapped Xterra would have a very hard time on this trail. That being said, it was a fun and challenging trail to run that I won't do again.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Typically there's a Caravan that goes out on Sunday morning.. Kel and I will leaving Boulder either Fri night or 1st thing Sat morning (towing 1rig and Kel is driving the other). We will definitely do a run on Sat and Sun before registration/BBQ.
We'll also be staying through Sat possibly Sun and have a few runs in mind.
Once we get to town I will make my normal stop at the car wash (Gotta retain my title)
The Princess

·
Registered
630 Posts
Let's keep this open as an option. I've run down Shafer Trail several times but never up, so that would be a new experience. Long Canyon is easy but very scenic. It's better to run it heading east-ish toward Moab for the considerable scenic value, as this route would put us anyway. We probably should try and include a side trip to Dead Horse Point in this run if we do it... it's right along the way and SO worth the view... Anyway, this is shaping up to be a nice pre-gone run... :)
That's exactly what I was thinking, I wanted to do long canyon road for the scenery. I also like the part where your going in under the rock leaning up against the cliff. I too figured it would be best to run it going east toward moab, as the "end of the days" run.

Yes I would like to take two off shoots of the part from between shafer trail and long canyon road. One right before the state parks road that takes us to an overlook, and then once again at the state park. I think this trip would be a full day, or close to it. Be nice to have lunch at one of the overlooks.

I will be there on the 19th, but Friday the 20th, my significant other and I will be doing a day raft trip down the Colorado. So we could do this on Saturday before or after GoneMoab.

I was thinking about getting up really early Sunday and doing Chicken corners trail. One writeup said it takes about 6 hours to do. (leaving Moab, and getting back to Moab taking about the full 6 hours) So if we leave Moab around 6 in the morning, we should be back to Moab for lunch. I do tend to be somewhat of a speeder on flat smooth roads. (Normal dirt roads/paved roads). Guess its the racer blood in me! LOL

TGC

·
Registered
630 Posts
Make sure they have re-opened Long Canyon, there was a rock fall there not too long ago. I honestly don't remember what if any closures happened because of it. They had some earth to move.

And as for the loop you are talking about, I sent my friend to do it in his Subaru Outback. EASY. Beautiful. Give yourself 4 hours from Moab to Moab, not because it takes that long, but because you'll take that long.

Edit: If you are at all interested in photography do the run in the evening hours (not the nighttime) The scenery is stunning (particularly the spot where potash road passes right above the goosenecks). Honestly, there is no point in doing these as a night run.
Actually would love to do it both ways. Maybe start out going one way for the sunset, then returning at night.

TGC

1 - 20 of 65 Posts