Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Gold Lake California

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  ghosttownexplorer 
#1 ·
:geek: Any of you guys ever hear of Gold Lake California ???
--Plumas National Forrest above hiwy 49 (downieville)-

--This is Northern Sierra #25 in the Back Country ADVENTURES book for Northern California--Here's a few pictures-still some snow left in May--

-

--

--

--

--

--

--

--

--ONE BATHROOM
--

--A stock X can make it-But you have to drive CAREFULLY, not advisable to go alone--

-=- :clown: :clown: ---JIMBO

See less See more
#6 ·
Was just out that way this last weekend, just to the south of Gold Lake, Sierra City, Downieville, Allengany, North Yuba River, Middle Yuba River, South Yuba River.

Did quite a bit of backroad exploring, old mining camps etc, over 5 days.

Anyway, heading down to the Middle Yuba River on a very very steep NARROW road from hell, rutted off camber leaning towards the edge, with the Middle Yuba River over one thousand feet below (only inches of road from the tires to the edge)! My "Service Engine Light Came on !!!

Oh CRAP, out in the middle of fricken knowhwhere !!, if the X should die, there is NO way to pass around it!! AND Im the lead vehicle!!! not a good feeling with the Middle Yuba glaring way down below on this cliff hanger off camber road.

Had just passed two dead vehicles on the road, one had rolled off the road and was on it's side with trees supporting it. This is NOT good!!

Made it down the road to the Middle Yuba, nerves shot by this point, checked the gas cap, restarted a few times, light stayed on.

Fortunatly I was with two other vehicles, and on our way back out, up this same steep cliff hanger road from Hell, I had another vehicle take the lead, (incase what ever cause the "check engine light" to come on should shut down the engine, he could give me a tow). Crawled back up this dirt road in granny, thank God no oncoming vehicles showed up, theres no room for passing, some one has to back up, or go over the edge.

The nearest town on pavement where the locals still have their front teeth was hours away via dirt roads!

After driving home for 9.5 hours to "The OC", today cleaned up the X, inside and out, (lots of dust inside as usual) so I can take it to the dealer to have the "Service Engine Light" invesigated, went to close the drivers door, and the latch quit working !!!!!!!!!! WTF (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot) the fricken drivers door wont stay closed!!!

I figured out a way to keep it closed with straps going from the passenger door to the drivers door.

So at 31K miles, Im taking it to the dealer for;

1. "Service Engine Light"
2. Drivers door wont latch closed
3. Left passenger door wont open half the time
4. Outside air/inside air vent stuck in outside air position (since say 1)

But anyway, yea the Plumas County and Sierra County areas are great to go exploring, but dont travel alone.

PS: Oh yea, "Back Country ADVENTURES book for Northern California"
If you check out the website references in the "Back Country ADVENTURES book for Southern California", my website is listed :)

~Lewis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.