Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@XC20 yea that's what I'm discovering unfortunately. The only AT C rated options are the Duratrac and the Discoverer. I don't like the look of the Discoverer, not aggressive enough. I like the Duratrac, but I've read a lot of bad reviews about road noise and sidewall punctures. Someone correct me if wrong b/c this would be a good option.

It looks like I might be stuck going back to an E rated tire. I do wheel on high alpine mining roads with sharp scree a couple times a year, so I can't go down to SL. But there isn't shit in C, so here I am back at E.

I am sold on the smaller 265/75 tire size though. I think I've narrowed it down to the Toyo Open Country ATIII in E rating. It's lighter than the BFG KO2 (50 vs 53 lbs), has good reviews, good in snow, and looks badass. @XC20 sounds like you like them? Are yours E Rated?

·
Registered
135 Posts
My spacer lift is probably part of the problem in ride quality too. In a perfect world I’d go OME front and back, no spacer. But I just pumped a bunch of money into new Bilsteins (stupid).

MPG and acceleration is another thing steering me towards C rated 265’s. @BradB didn’t know they offered the Toyo’s in C, I don’t see them on TireRack. I see one with a “SL” rating

@outback97 are you running the 265’s in E? If so, do they still ride better than the 285’s?
Sorry, SL is what I got. Basically a C equivalent. The tread depth is slightly different than the E of the same size. I gained 1.5mpg avg for a tank over BFG K02s in the same size under my normal commute (manual trans, tracked with scanguage 2).

·
Banned
379 Posts
@XC20 yea that's what I'm discovering unfortunately. The only AT C rated options are the Duratrac and the Discoverer. I don't like the look of the Discoverer, not aggressive enough. I like the Duratrac, but I've read a lot of bad reviews about road noise and sidewall punctures. Someone correct me if wrong b/c this would be a good option.

It looks like I might be stuck going back to an E rated tire. I do wheel on high alpine mining roads with sharp scree a couple times a year, so I can't go down to SL. But there isn't shit in C, so here I am back at E.

I am sold on the smaller 265/75 tire size though. I think I've narrowed it down to the Toyo Open Country ATIII in E rating. It's lighter than the BFG KO2 (50 vs 53 lbs), has good reviews, good in snow, and looks badass. @XC20 sounds like you like them? Are yours E Rated?
Mine are passenger rated and I really like them. I put them through a lot and they did great.
I understand about the sharp rocks. If I drove in that stuff I’d want a beefier tire too. But overall the toyo at3 is a great tire. The only other tire I ran was the cooper discoverer at3 4s. the Toyo’s are better

·
Banned
379 Posts
Sorry, SL is what I got. Basically a C equivalent. The tread depth is slightly different than the E of the same size. I gained 1.5mpg avg for a tank over BFG K02s in the same size under my normal commute (manual trans, tracked with scanguage 2).
Ahh okay. I was gonna say…I wanted a c rated tire initially and I missed these!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for clarifying gys. @BradB I'm not really understanding the difference between SL and C rated. As I posted before, the max load and the max pressures are the same. Is the sidewall stronger on the C even with the same load / pressure specs?

·
Registered
487 Posts

Just my two cents and my experience with Duratracs. I remember reading about the side wall issues before I bought my first set. Ended up going with Duratracs mainly because a friend of mine had them on his FJ and he wheeled them all the time, mostly rock crawling and never had a puncture. I'm on my third set. The first two sets were 265s C rated. Put over 50k miles on both those sets with PLENTY of off-roading here in CO where we have a lot of sharp rocks as well as in Utah. Never had a puncture or a flat for that matter. My third/current set are 285s E rated and these have seen even more wheeling on harder trails than my previous ones. Still no punctures or flats. I daily drive my X and on road noise doesn't seem bad at all to me, but I don't really have a point of comparison since I've only driven on duratracs for the last almost 150k miles. They are amazing on snow, which is very important to me here in CO...they also look very cool in my opinion.

Note: I always air down to 18psi for 90% of the offroading I do. 15-16ish when offroading on snow. For the road I keep them at 38psi

·
Registered
149 Posts
I run 265 cooper St Maxx E rated. Around town I run 30 psi. Highway 35 psi. That way I get even tire wear. The biggest difference I have noticed is Radflo shocks and aftermarket uca. My vehicle rides really well.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Love you roXterra, but personally I would disagree with the above. Door spec is for the OEM spec tire. If you run an unspecified tire you should consult with the manufacturers recomendation...
And for KO2 manufacturer spec is 48psi! I tried 35 before and it rode like a dump truck on the highway, once set to 45 - it feels closer to normal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Both sizes are KO2's in E load rating, and both ride just fine. Mid 30's PSI, high 30's if I'm trying for a slight bump in mileage.

IMO the 265 isn't "better" than the 285 ride-wise, the primary benefit that I see in the real world is the higher MPG and range with the smaller of the two tires.
not sure why more people aren't highlighting this. the diameter shouldn't affect ride. other factors in tire choice and suspension choice will.

·
Banned
379 Posts
not sure why more people aren't highlighting this. the diameter shouldn't affect ride. other factors in tire choice and suspension choice will.
Mainly because they are lighter and not as stiff. Seems obvious to me. If you have a $2500 suspension then yes, it won’t matter as much if you put 60lb tires on this small suv

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks @JM303, perhaps the Duratracs in Load Rating C are in fact the way to go. Hmm, this is a tough decision now.
I agree diameter shouldn't affect ride. I was looking at going down in diameter so that I can get a C rated tire. Also so that I can get better MPG, and better responsiveness. However, I do think the weight of the tire might affect the ride quality to some extent. Seems a bigger heavier tire, even if the same rating, would be stiffer. Maybe I'm just arm waving at this point.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

·
Registered
105 Posts
another +1 for 265s and 2" lift. keeps the truck more street-able and tows like it did stock. running 265 duratracs load range C at 36 psi.

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Registered
133 Posts
Be aware tire size will obviously effect perceived MPG... It might be hard to tell what the real difference is unless you re calibrate your odometer for the new tire size or something!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Be aware tire size will obviously effect perceived MPG... It might be hard to tell what the real difference is unless you re calibrate your odometer for the new tire size or something!
The smaller tire will make it look like your are going further and faster.

·
Registered
'06 Off Road
95 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Pirelli Scorpion MTR is available in 265/75R16 with a C rated sidewall. Currently on backorder at Discount, but Walmart apparently has them in stock...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pirelli-Scorpion-MTR-265-75R16-112-Q-Tire/47431867
I know you can't always judge the performance of a tire by how it looks, but IMO that tread looks like it'd be worthless on packed snow and ice. Based on everything that the OP has said I'd think an MT tire is about the last thing that they actually want.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts