Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me crazy, but I'm considering going back to 265/75R16 tires on my lifted Xterra. I've got a 2" spacer up front, AAL in the back, stock Pro4X Bilsteins. Ever since going to the LT285/75R16 (Grabber AT2's, well loved here) my road ride has been terrible. If I hit a rut or hole in the highway it feels like the Xterra is about to rattle off the road. It will track any crack in the highway, I'm getting jerked and tossed around. The snow traction is also bad, I'm driving like a grandma b/c it slides so much. I just don't think the Xterra is heavy enough to compress a D or E rated tire, unless you air it down to the point that your gas mileage is even worse. I run mine at 40 PSI. The ride is super stiff, the Xterra gets tossed around like a tin can, and the traction (on road) is worse.

Add in the fact that the gas mileage takes a serious hit, and I can't find a lot to love about the bigger stiffer tire. Of course, its better off road. If I was wheeling over 50% of the time it would be another story. But I go on a couple camping trips a year on some moderate Colorado 4x4 trails. There are times when I've been grateful for the added clearance and stronger sidewall, but maybe it wasn't absolutely necessary. If there was a 33" tire with a C rating I would be all about it. I like the bigger tire, and it seems pointless to have a lift and keep the stock tire size. Might also look dumb. But an E rated LT 285/75 is just not well suited for an Xterra on the road. The truck doesn't have enough weight and it feels like I'm getting tossed around.

Anyone running 265/75R16 on their X with a lift? Does it look awful?

Thanks

·
Registered - From Westminster, CA, USA
372 Posts
I have a 2” lift and 265/75/16 toyo at3’s and it looks fine. I don’t see the point of making this thing ride like a dump truck when this combo has gotten me everywhere I want and need to go. Honestly the next step up as far as off road would be rock crawling, and that shit is stupid to me in a daily driver.
Automotive side marker light Wheel Tire Window Plant

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok that actually looks good! Maybe even better, you can tell the truck is lifted.

Now the question is which 265/75/R16? I only see a couple with C rating on Tire Rack. The Duratracs & Discoverers. The Duratracs look pretty sick and have great snow rating. In Colorado that's a big one for me

·
Registered - From Westminster, CA, USA
372 Posts
I just did a road trip through Utah with this set up of 265/75/16 Passenger rated toyo open country at3’s and they were fantastic. I was in snow, ice, mud, sand, gravel, rocky trails, heavy rain. Snowy pavement and heavy rain on the highways as well. They were great. Something to consider

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Mine has 2-3” lift and doesn’t look bad wirh stock KO2, depends on tires look, some may look better than others.

40psi? Why?
I run my E rated at 35, I would never go higher. It should be car door not tire spec dictated spec. I wouldn’t want Grabbers brand which is what dealers put on used cars. My 2015 came with bad new tires, stock rating but too narrow, not stable at 80mph. I took them off within 200 miles and put my 10k used Goodyear Wilderness tires on.

Wheel Tire Sky Automotive carrying rack Car

Automotive side marker light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Cloud

Tire Car Wheel Automotive carrying rack Vehicle

Rainbow Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Anyone running 265/75R16 on their X with a lift? Does it look awful?

Thanks
Yes. No.

Other threads:

Other thoughts:

We have two Xterras, both with KO2's. One has 285's, the other has 265's. The 285's look "better" I guess, but that's really the only plus. The 285's are heavier, slower, reduce MPG, and the 1/2" additional ground clearance honestly hasn't mattered for where we drive.

That said, I like both sizes of this tire a lot, so don't assume that changing the tire size on a tire that it sounds like you don't like will have a huge impact on how well you like a slightly smaller version of the same tire. And 40 PSI is quite high, that'll give you a harsh ride for sure.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies, those BFGs look good!

I was running them at 40psi to try and get a little better gas mileage. They looked low at 35psi. And I figured, the ride is shit anyways, might as well be a little more shit and better MPG

·
Registered
483 Posts
Ok that actually looks good! Maybe even better, you can tell the truck is lifted.

Now the question is which 265/75/R16? I only see a couple with C rating on Tire Rack. The Duratracs & Discoverers. The Duratracs look pretty sick and have great snow rating. In Colorado that's a big one for me
Yeah snow driving in the mountains is the main reason why the last 3 sets of tires I have have been Duratracs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you guys running the 265/75 tires in Load Range E? How's the ride? Is it still better than a 285/75?

I'm pretty sold on going down to the smaller size, but I can't decide on the load range. I'm scared to run an E rating after my 285/75 Grabber AT2 ride quality.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Is your suspension proper?
I came from C rated Goodyears to K02 in E rating, I was concerned beforehand, no issues, and after them lasting 75k miles I got a second set in same. Always rotated after 5k. Except for a few times towards the end. Great tires, don’t feel stiff or low at 35psi

not all tires will act the same, weakest link spoils the party, that includes suspension issues

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I recently put new Bilsteins 4600's front and rear and got the AAL installed. So suspension is in tip top shape.

(I know I should have gone for the OME kit instead of putting the Bilsteins back on. Didn't think about it at the time. Kicking myself)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Are you guys running the 265/75 tires in Load Range E? How's the ride? Is it still better than a 285/75?

I'm pretty sold on going down to the smaller size, but I can't decide on the load range. I'm scared to run an E rating after my 285/75 Grabber AT2 ride quality.
my 265 duratracs were load C and honestly I didn't really feel that much of a difference when I went to 285s load E. That said, I titan swapped soon after, so that changed the way the X drives and feels quite a bit too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Many factors in ride comfort, at the end of the day it's a stiff frame truck, but I do think you are aired up too much, try dropping to 35psi.

That being said, I second the stock size argument. For me, it takes me everywhere I need to go. I'm at about 2" lift and I like the look. I recently went with "C" rated 265/75/16 Toyo AT3's and I really like them. They are ~13lbs lighter per tire than an E rated Toyo or BFG. Slightly mpg increase in my case as well which I was going for. They have been just as good off road so far as BFG's and slightly better on road as far as comfort and noise.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My spacer lift is probably part of the problem in ride quality too. In a perfect world I’d go OME front and back, no spacer. But I just pumped a bunch of money into new Bilsteins (stupid).

MPG and acceleration is another thing steering me towards C rated 265’s. @BradB didn’t know they offered the Toyo’s in C, I don’t see them on TireRack. I see one with a “SL” rating

@outback97 are you running the 265’s in E? If so, do they still ride better than the 285’s?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine's on Load C Cooper AT3 265/75/16 with 1.5" spacers up front with a single AAL in the rear. If you're not driving in thick mud, the Coopers aren't a bad choice. Mine have gotten me where I want to go. I like the lifted look on the stock tires. The ride isn't bad on the 6ply tires.

Cloud Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
@outback97 are you running the 265’s in E? If so, do they still ride better than the 285’s?
Both sizes are KO2's in E load rating, and both ride just fine. Mid 30's PSI, high 30's if I'm trying for a slight bump in mileage.

IMO the 265 isn't "better" than the 285 ride-wise, the primary benefit that I see in the real world is the higher MPG and range with the smaller of the two tires.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts