Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my X from Gobi yesterday and spoke with the main designer/fabricator.

They are planning 3 rack models for us. If you look at the 1st gen racks on the Gobi web site (www.gobinissan.com) you'll see that the upper side rails on the Stealth are flat all the way from front to back and that the Ranger has the hoop over the front lights about 1" higher than the sides of the rack. Both of these have rather shallow baskets in the rear 2/3 (behind the step in the roofline). The new design that they are going to add will have the round lights of the Ranger with a deeper basket so that the side bars at the top of the rack are flat or pretty close.

The ladder will be designed to accomodate the ShrockWorks rear bumper with tire carrier. They might also offer a driver's side ladder.

It is going to be a few more weeks before these are done but they will make all 3 and then get pictures of each installed on my rig. I'll be dropping my X off with them again next week and they'll keep it until they are done. They are going to loan me one of their H3's while they have my X. As a side note, the guy I talked to said that after working with and driving the X he's thinking about getting one himself when it's time to replace a hummer. He was impressed with the power and how solidly the X is built.

I didn't ask for any information on pricing yet but will post info once I can.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Are they going to use the factory attachment points? If so, there are going to be a lot of unhappy customers who will either not be able to get the stock rack off, or not be able to get the screws tightened for the aftermarket rack.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Kneebuster, THANK YOU! for giving up your rig to get this done! Many people will appreciate this down the road.

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
muzikman said:
Are they going to use the factory attachment points?
They are going to use some of the factory attachment points. We have a ton and not all are needed. The unused ones will have weather sealed screws (likely with rubber washers) to plug them. These will in turn be covered by the rack feet and the fairing so that the overall installation looks OEM.

They got my rack off and back on, apparently without issue. I know others have had trouble spinning weldnuts, but I don't know if those were isolated problems or if they just got lucky with mine.

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Things are progressing, though more slowly than they had anticipated. They had my X for 2 weeks to make measurements and try out a few ideas. In the meantime I was driving their Hummer H3. I'm glad to have my truck back. Anyway, they are currently making the fabrication fixtures. They will be building prototypes (4 designs) over the next couple of weeks. Around June 1st they'll take my rig back and do the final fittings. After that the racks go out for powdercoating. They haven't finalized prices yet but I suspect I'll have some numbers in a couple of weeks. I got to see a bunch of their racks and ladders for other vehicles and these things are awesome. They will be worth the wait.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
mcampana said:
Just for you synd.
Lol...

No but seriously... If you're heavy into "car-camping", or just hate pitching a tent, the roof tents are a great alternative. If I weren't so reliant on loading the roof with extra gear I'd probably get one.

·
on line
2,540 Posts
mcampana said:
I cant see our roof holding one of those things, plus my ass. Im 230. Whats the weight limit of the rack? Like 150? Maybe midgets could use those things. I like little people and mean no offense to our shorter smaller members here on the newx.
Think about this. Your concern is the went of a 125lbs tent plus your weight right? So thats roguhly 355 lbs.

Ever see a pic of an X on its roof? Yes there was some cosmetic problems but they didn't collapse and I can almost gurantee that 355 lbs is not going to phase the roof if they have properly secured it as the weight is distributed across the entire roof.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts