Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Questions for the guys that have an X with backup cam and a passenger mounted Gobi ladder. Does the ladder block part of the view of the backup cam?

Not sure if the cam differs in mounting spots from year to year but on my 2014, it looks like the cam will be blocked if I were to mount the Gobi ladder on the passenger side.

Anyone have this problem or have a pic of how the cam would look with a ladder mounted?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Glad I just ran into this thread! I have this issue... I didn't even see it coming since the back up camera is new and I didn't think about it due to no one mentioning it. If you install the ladder exactly as directed by GOBI, the one side of the ladder blocks a bit to the right of the picture provided by the back up camera. If you center the Nissan logo in the ladder, one side of the ladder ends up EXACTLY in the middle of the shot, leaving only the wide angle sides visible.

I chose to install it as GOBI directs, and cover a bit of one side. This way you can see directly behind you, and you still have one side and the extreme of the other side. Not ideal, but fine if you only use the camera as a supplement to turning around as you should..

I can provide pics if you still are wondering about this.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes.. please do take a screenshot of the view. I bought the Gobi ladder but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. As long as the ladder doesn't obstruct the view completely.. I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Glad I just ran into this thread! I have this issue... I didn't even see it coming since the back up camera is new and I didn't think about it due to no one mentioning it. If you install the ladder exactly as directed by GOBI, the one side of the ladder blocks a bit to the right of the picture provided by the back up camera. If you center the Nissan logo in the ladder, one side of the ladder ends up EXACTLY in the middle of the shot, leaving only the wide angle sides visible.

I chose to install it as GOBI directs, and cover a bit of one side. This way you can see directly behind you, and you still have one side and the extreme of the other side. Not ideal, but fine if you only use the camera as a supplement to turning around as you should..

I can provide pics if you still are wondering about this.
Any pictures? If it doesn't obstruct too much, I don't really mind, but I would rather see an example before finding out firsthand.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I am at work and can not upload, but I have a shrock tire carrier and gobi ladder, and the view is worthless. 2nd the camera prevents the hi-lift jack from fitting the shrock mounting points, so Im getting rid of it for these reasons. I will add a camera IR plate frame and wire that to the stock head unit. When I can I will upload photos of both in place, then open the tire carrier so you can see just the ladder only, but with the ladder only it does block about 1/5th the screen and its the usable spot of the screen. I

f you want PM me your email address and I will email you the photo since Im working 15 hour days. Otherwise when I get to it I can.

I already uploaded another view showing the tire carrier blockage but to describe the ladder blockage..

Start at the right edge of the CD slot, and draw a line to the middle of the last "S" in surroundings. That would be the right side of the ladder, then Draw a vertical line even with the left edge of horizontal line on the top right green distance indicator. Now fill everything in that space black. This describes it pretty well.

Here are other photos incase this post is searched later for fellow members.

My X.

Rear tire carrier blockage

Back up camera in the way of hi-lift

Passenger ladder blockage
**to be uploaded later**

Tire carrier and passenger ladder blockage

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^ Exactly what I wanted to hear! Awesome info and pics to boot. Thanks a lot man!

Btw.. very nice looking rig! :)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Updated with the carrier and ladder. the other I did not have available, sorry, but I will get it when off work and the sun is up. You can kind of use your imagination on it however and get a feel for what you will not see.... its a bit.

Happy wheeling man.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Updated with the carrier and ladder. the other I did not have available, sorry, but I will get it when off work and the sun is up. You can kind of use your imagination on it however and get a feel for what you will not see.... its a bit.

Happy wheeling man.
It's all good.. that's actually enough pics for the imagination. You know.. it's not as bad as I thought. I'm actually used to the cam being blocked by my Thule bike rack so this shouldn't be a problem.

As long as I can see "something" with the came then I can judge the backup distance. Thanks again for uploading the pics! I'm sure it'll help a ton of ppl who decide to get the Gobi ladder. :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I agree that the factory location should be right above the license plate. And they are definitely not useless. It would be nice to have one for backing up to a trailer.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I agree that the factory location should be right above the license plate. And they are definitely not useless. It would be nice to have one for backing up to a trailer.
This, who has had the friend or lady try to guide them up to a hitch??? The camera just allows it to happen.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I heard someone saying that good drivers don't need rear cameras on their cars...
Hehe.. that might be true but it does help a **** ton though especially when towing.

Maybe Nissan put the cam higher so when you're wheeling in foot deep mud, the mud doesn't get all over the cam rendering it useless? That's my guess...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry I'm late to the party Hybrid, I'm new to forums and am not sure how to get some type of notification when new comments come in on a thread I've chimed in on.

Anyway, tomorrow I can post a few pics of where I decided to mount my ladder for optimal camera usage. Like I said in my first comment, it kinda sucks, but for all I use the camera for it's fine.

I like the placement actually, since it shoots straight down you can back into something within an inch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just wanted to get in on this thread. My backup cam is obscured completely by my spare, (shrockworks rear) and I'm going to eventually put the ladder up also, so i'm trying to figure out where to even move it to. Right now my best idea is to replace the little light on the license plate with the cam, and have a light above it. Considering making a custom enclosure for it if need be to be able to keep the light and cam intact.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts