Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that my glove box, either upper or lower - haven't narrowed it down yet, started to rattle when the outside temperature is relatively cold outside ~50 degrees. It's more of a chatter sound, kind of like teeth chattering. Anways, as soon as my interior warms up, the chatter no longer appears. Has anyone had a similar situation?

·
on line
331 Posts
I noticed it too. Mine is definitly the upper glove box. I do not have a solution yet, but i am going to try some felt pads.

·
on line
32 Posts
I have the same problem.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: I had that trouble too--

--Then, I put the .45 acp cartridges, back in their Mag-

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
Registered
67 Posts
BUMP. Have a 2012 Pro4x with a rattle behind the gloveboxes somewhere? Any ideas? It sounds like a quiet bb dancing on a tin pie pan. Driving me bonkers !:angry5:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the problem also. As soon as the heater warms the car, the rattle goes away.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Learn to deal with it. I've tried felt, foam, taking **** apart and tightening everything I could find. It just does it. One of the many rattles and squeaks you'll get used to over time.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Found my rattle. Maybe yours too.

:brave: Sounds are hard to pinpoint so I started looking elsewhere. My `glovebox rattle` which I swore was where it was coming from turned out to be the tip of the plastic air duct underneath the passenger seat, amp and carpet. I tapped on the end of it and there it was. Just got the truck new 5 days ago so this was driving me crazy. I used two plastic shims wedged between the duct the amp. Worked perfectly. :cheers: If anyone needs pictures I can post them. Now to find the rattle over my left shoulder in the pillar... or is it in the cargo area... or

·
on line
3,453 Posts
:brave: Sounds are hard to pinpoint so I started looking elsewhere. My `glovebox rattle` which I swore was where it was coming from turned out to be the tip of the plastic air duct underneath the passenger seat, amp and carpet. I tapped on the end of it and there it was. Just got the truck new 5 days ago so this was driving me crazy. I used two plastic shims wedged between the duct the amp. Worked perfectly. :cheers: If anyone needs pictures I can post them. Now to find the rattle over my left shoulder in the pillar... or is it in the cargo area... or
Pics please!

·
Registered
67 Posts
You have to move the passenger seat all the way forward to see this. Again, its not the amp shroud that`s making the rattle, it`s the tip of this little plastic heater duct. The plastic shims I used are convieniently red so you can see them. Let me know if this is the ghost rattle that many have been trying to track down. I can sleep at night now. :sleepy2:

·
on line
496 Posts
I have the same, and i know it's the lower glove box, as if I press on it, no more rattle. Yet I tried foam, rubber, two sided tape, anything, and it would not go away. Glad it's spring, and it's warmer, so I'm Ok till next season.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I went nuts one day and I found out where mine was coming from. On the A-Pillar plastic piece, there is a small tab that inserts into a slot on the side of the dashboard when the pieces are put together. You'll find the "connection" area of the two between the two pieces, basically on the far right of the dash board. I found that the connection of the two pieces was causing a rattling when I drove, especially in the cold. I line the connection with duct tape and put the pieces together, poof, no more rattling.

Of course, every truck has it's small differences (i.e. fitment differences) that may be causing rattling elsewhere.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have a rattle coming from the rear hatch, driver's side...only becomes evident when truck is idling at low revs (e.g at stop lights, etc). Of course, when I took it to the dealer, the X conveniently decided not to exhibit the rattle. Ain't that always the way?

Haven't been able to pinpoint it, but if anyone has had a similar experience and fixed it, I'm all ears.

Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts