Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
It would have been much worse if I didn't already know how some fittings came away from working on the u-pull Nissans. No big updates yet, I swapped in some LED bulbs. I'd do the turn signals but I'm not sure of the resistor required or if I need 1 at each corner or if 1 in each rear signal is enough?

Of course, the LED headlights are inverted (Hi beam is low beam, yay)

And I added a pair of heavy duty lift struts. I was to say 170 lb each. Suffice to say the gate is now 11" higher and I have to hold it on the way up to stop the hinges from bouncing :) Plan is to have a ladder some day. Its nice being able to knock out a few easier projects when the big ones seem insurmountable.

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Call me crazy, but I find myself with a spare set of heated seat elements from a Pathfinder. I thought about heating the rear seats of the X, but with the folding and removal, I wasn't keen on the wiring. So I thought about putting 2 together, and having a heated sleeping pad, with a plug-in somewhere in the cargo area.

I need to read up more on dual batteries vs portable power supply before I figure out how it would be hooked up. It is certainly long enough for one

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Installed some OEM fogs with the factory stalk. Should have been an easy job, but I doubled down on the stupid and it ended up taking over a day.

It started to go wrong when I noticed how badly pitted the lenses were. Not thinking that they were actually made of glass, I started sanding. And soon after realized what I had done. Here's what they looked like from the Upull, with new amber LEDs to be fitted.

what have I done?!?

Polishing glass requires special products, all I had was sandpaper...

After 3000 grit, some of the pitting was gone, but the lens as you can see is hazy.

Sanded on right, compared to unsanded on left

I had some yellow film laying around, and with a heat gun was able to form it over the convex lens without too too many bubbles.

A quick test, and we have fog lights!

Except....

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
I also installed some LED headlights. For some reason, the high and low beams are reversed at the stalk. That means the fog lights, which on the OEM switching only work on low beam, now only come on with high beam.

I read that this can be solved be switching the leads in the light. Normally, you'd just pop out the pins, but that wasn't happening on this set up. So, cut the wires on one light (driver side) and put it back in. No change..both lights still on high beam, and now, the driver side fog light doesn't come on.

Photo below shows the red & yellow lines swapped to no avail. Next step? Not sure. Maybe do the same to the passenger one in case they are somehow connected?

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Still pissed off about the exterior lights, I turned to the inside lights. Plan here is to replace the front roof console of 2 map lights, with map lights and taco holder and a blank panel to install a switch plate on to (saw the thread about that on here). Additionally, I want reading lights for the rear pax / sleeping, red LED for night, and extra cargo lighting.

Some of the lenses were really beat up. Maybe from keys or rings, but I gave then a polish.

Using Nissan lights keeps it looking somewhat factory. The two small lights paired together will go near the pax hand hold, while the pair of map lights in the rear will be mounted in the plastic area of the trunk. I still have zero idea how I am going to attach them to the roof. They are so light weight I'm thinking CA gel glue might work.

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
You don't have to remove this much plastic to remove the head liner, but I am hoping in the long run it made it easier. I got it out without any creases or tears. The headliner could use a round with the Bissel.

And since I am taking the roof rack bars off (to hide wiring runs inside of them), having access to the bottom side of the rivnuts will help with that. I hope.

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Yikes! I never thought I could wash it off. I was going to go at it with my brush in a drill too. Whew. I'll try out a spot under the sun visor area first. Thanks man!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I did, and after a week of part time welding with a friend, it is finally done! I am very happy with the results. The only issue is that there is a small gap, about 1" between the top of the aluminum rear bumper and the old plastic trim. I plan on getting some generic trim from Canadian Tire or someplace like that to put in there for cosmetics. I am just about to put the pics on my build thread, so you should be able to see how it turned out in a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
He stopped an gave me a death squint, but we were fully cammed so I got away with it. But by endex, I was the OCdt who tried to blow up the CO's dog. :) Good times.
Just catching up on your build thread. Great story! Oh, & love what you’ve done to this point! Can’t wait to finish reading the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
on line
288 Posts
I also installed some LED headlights. For some reason, the high and low beams are reversed at the stalk. That means the fog lights, which on the OEM switching only work on low beam, now only come on with high beam.

I read that this can be solved be switching the leads in the light. Normally, you'd just pop out the pins, but that wasn't happening on this set up. So, cut the wires on one light (driver side) and put it back in. No change..both lights still on high beam, and now, the driver side fog light doesn't come on.

Photo below shows the red & yellow lines swapped to no avail. Next step? Not sure. Maybe do the same to the passenger one in case they are somehow connected?

View attachment 136635

I put in LED headlight bulbs recently, and IIRC, people had their hi/lo beams switched on accident because the bulbs were installed upside down. On my bulbs, there are two main LEDs and one is positioned more forward on the bulb, and the forward LED has to be on top. You've got different bulbs so this may not be helpful, but I thought I'd share just in case.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts