Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is definitely going to be interesting.

I learned my lesson after doing the heated steering wheel mod: I need to learn more about automobile electrical before I mess with anything like this. I do want to learn though. I found a tutorial book on amazon and it should arrive on Monday, so I'll have a manual to help with this sort of thing.

I don't have an outside temp sensor on my X, and I find it is something I kind of miss. I was looking at one of these mirrors on E-Bay and they can be had for a reasonable price, if not going the wrecker route like you've done. Do you have the temp sensor along with the mirror?

Keep posting as things develop. I'm interested to learn how this is done.

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
The mirrors , if I tilt them at the right angle, I can "see" the LCD characters, and I can make out a *C/F, so for sure it is at least capable of displaying a temp. My X has those 3 extra wires that do not go to any output. From what I've read, 2 are related to the temp sensor, and the other is a reverse trigger that prevents the the auto-dim feature from functioning. I have to verify still if the actual sensor is there, or if its a part I'll need to splice in to the factory wiring.

Wasted a solid 2 hours this morning playing around with it, until I realized the brand new 12V battery I got from Amazon was totally dead. Kudos to them, they are sending out a replacement tomorrow.

In the meantime, I got my 12V bike battery (which is showing 12V) and tried activating the mirrors. No luck getting anything to light up.

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I find posting this fixes forces me to rethink the problems and I have this nagging feeling that I'm over complicating it and would be better off randomly plugging stuff in like a thousand monkeys until it works or catches on fire.

I've got some new info, and tried to tidy up the problem definition a bit. Some of this stuff is redundant, but that's part of my process (of not knowing WTF I am doing, ha!)

Reintroducing...

For reference:

My socket with the extra wires

So 8 more wires coming out of the 2008 X OR than the 2007 X S. Bluetooth mic, Personl light, vanity light?

Some of the wire colours seem common throughout the PF and Xterra, and also into the mirror and dome lights. I believe the cyan and purple with silver are the temp sensor, and the white with green could be acc or switch power?

Pathfinder has 3 more outputs that 07 X; perhaps they are for a sun roof switch? Pax vanity lightf?

The PF mirror has the same colours as the X mirror, plus an additional Red with Yellow stripe and silver blobbies. That same colour wire can also be seen leading to the cargo and pax dome lights. I wonder if that is so the Homelink can be used without a key? If so, I'll leave it off as it that would be a security vulnerability for my house.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I tried various 12V hook ups to the mirrors and still nothing worked. There's more to this than just providing power to the device I think.

Hooked up to my X, the PF mirror illuminates, but when I attached the dome and cargo lights to the rest of the harness, they did not work. I checked the bulbs and they functioned. Perhaps not having the map lights wired in as well disrupts the circuit?

In researching the PF mirror, I found this - the location of the temp sensor. BRB!

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
OK, so it seems like both my 12V batteries had issues. Third one is the charm, the X OR mirror works and displays the compass. I'd figure a way to scam the amber film off of it , but it doesn't fit the "window" in the Pathy mirror. Just glad it all works, and am zeroing in on the other wires. This should look OEM when I'm done.

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Trying out the spare cargo lights, things are coming together. Idea is to have the option to switch to red TACTICOOOL!!! light at night. Easy way is to turn the white light domes to off at sunset, and the red ones to activate on door open. Again, trying to make these small mods look as OEM as possible.

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
EDIT: Bllaaaargh.

Turns out the sensor socket without a plug is part of the airbag system. I'm guessing side / seat, b/c my truck does not come with them. So, disregard my wiring scheme, I clearly have more research to do.

And some good news - while the temp sensor is not installed, the wiring and plug appears to be adjacent to the installation location. It should just a matter of grabbing that off of the junked Pathfinder.

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Seems like Nissan used the same temp sensors from 2005-2015 across the fleet. There's no Xterra's left at the scrapper, damn, went from 4 to 0 in 3 months. But I think Murano / Maxima / Altima mirrors and sensors should work.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is really interesting. Just for funsies, I checked on eBay to see how much these mirrors go for, and there were a couple available from a Maxima. Not gonna lie to you, I really miss the outdoor temp reading. I don't have that on my X, and I would really like one.

I'm going to have to seriously brush up on vehicle electrical before I mess with anything this complex though.

·
Registered
754 Posts
This is really interesting. Just for funsies, I checked on eBay to see how much these mirrors go for, and there were a couple available from a Maxima. Not gonna lie to you, I really miss the outdoor temp reading. I don't have that on my X, and I would really like one.

I'm going to have to seriously brush up on vehicle electrical before I mess with anything this complex though.
You can also use pretty much any mirror from a early ‘00s Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon. Just pull the sensor with the mirror. You’ll need to use a fuse tap for switched 12v and run the signal wire but it’s super easy.

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Might get to the u-pull tomorrow. We're in another 4 week lockdown, and I'm not sure whether the scrap yard is an "essential service".

Plan for the weekend is...gulp... remove the headliner. Its finally warm enough in Ottawa that I'm less worried about snapping the brittle / cold plastic trim. Removal of the liner and some plastic cladding will facilitate a number of wiring sub-projects. For instance, I don't know if I'm every going to have roof solar panel, but I'm going to run some lines up there, same for a future inverter, 120V outlets, roof lights, rear facing lights, addition interior LED.

And for some strange reason, I want to re-cover the headliner in something different than dingy gray.

Random observation: Don't waste 30 minutes trying to get the heated seat switch to light up the bigger strip..its just white painted

Updated the mirror wires a little. If only there were some kind of guide to wiring in a manual that the factory could print
to help service the truck...

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
So I went to the U-Pull for some OEM fog light clips and a temp sensor. In the process, I discovered that the thing I thought was the temp sensor is actually part of the airbag system. Presumably a shock sensor to activate side / seat airbags? My 07 X has neither.

But... the Pathfinder I did scavenge from had some black leather power/heated seats. Some wanker took the headrests from all of them, so I found a leather maxima and those head rests fit.

I'm still working on wiring options. Mainly, do I try and integrate the Nissan heated seat switches and power seat stuff, or just have a 12V rechargeable battery on hand and wire it into the power leads of the seat motors. I'm the only driver, so once the seat is set, its not going to be moved much from day to day.

The PF seats were in very good shape given they are 13 years old.

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 · (Edited)
Semi productive day. The interior dome lights was a blown 10A fuse. I don't think its a coincidence the fuse blew while I was change wiring harnesses to test them out.

Good news, I have an extra compass & temp mirror, harness, and temp sensor, and an extra compass only mirror (in Xterra amber) also with harness, and both work. I'll post the wiring once its 100% complete. Still a couple glitches with the lift gate switch and the cargo light.

Tackled testing the seats. I have 2 tan leather power/heated and 2 black leather pwr/heat. The black ones were a recent score and today I had the chance to try them out. Hooking up a 12V battery I was able to activate 3 of the 4 seats. The black leather driver side I can't get to work, although troubleshooting shows its missing a connector.

I'm going to muck around some more with it, more for curiosity sake now. But if I can't get it working soon, I'm going to swap seat covers, cushions, and plastic trim from the black leather to the working tan frame.

Spaghetti Saturday is Back!

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Not gonna lie to you, I really miss the outdoor temp reading. I don't have that on my X, and I would really like one.
I've got an extra one, its a gentex 313. Basically same as below expcet it uses a bulkier 2-axis external 'compass' instead of the new 3-axis internal mirror. Got a spare temp sensor and enough harness to get the mirror in with a bit of wrining at the dome light. If you want I'll box it and send at Upull price + shipping. Should be under $50 all in.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts