Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
997 Posts
Mine were rusting out, so I ordered the primary and secondary. But the secondary isn't monitored. I only needed one side.
The primaries are the ones that will throw a code.
The Secondaries do have some catalyst material which can clog up if the primaries bust apart and blow into the secondary. Since the secondaries dont really have any effect on codes , if they are in good shape you can leave them, or hollow them out.

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Since the secondaries dont really have any effect on codes , if they are in good shape you can leave them, or hollow them out.
I think my secondary has a sensor coming out of it? ISTR a "fix" that involved pushing this sensor a couple inches out of the exhaust stream to clear a cat code?

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks to whoever pointed me toward the NICO site for service manuals. I found the wiring diagram for the heated and powered seats. Trying to decipher it now. 🧐

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
997 Posts
I think my secondary has a sensor coming out of it? ISTR a "fix" that involved pushing this sensor a couple inches out of the exhaust stream to clear a cat code?
The secondary has the port for the sensor, but it's on the straight pipe section before the catalyst material, so its really just reading what's coming out of the primary. Nothing reads what's coming out of the secondary so it's not "monitored" by a sensor.
Guys who gut their cats use spacers like you mention. Personally I wouldn't mess with that, IMO once you start gutting cats and playing with sensors you are spiraling down a rabbit hole to making your ride run like garbage... just my $.02
You also don't want to run with a failing primary cat... best to fix what is going on with it rather than play with the sensors to fool it.

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Thanks ******* - I'm of the same opinion about moving the sensor out of the stream...it's there for a reason, and tricking it into turning off a SES light is not how I like to do things.

I'll have to look into changing the primaries then. Not looking forward to that, as 90% of my bolts need to ground or melted off.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hi Gingie,

Born and raised in Ottawa. Once upon a time, worked as a defence economist in Kingston.

Impressed with your build/re-build. Wish I had easy access to a U-pull wrecker yard but the nearest one is 3 hours drive away (via a tough to drive canyon).

Hard to resolve codes: Have you reconnected or re-seated all the ground straps on the X yet? The P0430 code could be signalling a poor ground connection.

-------

In passing, blowing out the EVAP canister with pressurized air should be sufficient. You can clean out the EVAP vent valve with brake fluid and pressurized air but replacing it with an updated version might be simpler.

Reactions: Gingie

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Cheers Westslope - I went to school (twice!) in Kingston, great place to live.

The 0430 code I though was the cats? Could a bad ground cause that?

The OBD reader also says I have 2 "pending" P0430 codes. Argh.

The U-pull got another pathfinder in. I was tempted to take the seats! HA, I know! But they were in the same cloth as my Xterra, only with 10 way power (and no heat). Since I already have 4 extra front seats, I decided to take a pass on them. I did however pick up the heated seat switches out of the Pathy I toold the leather seats from. Glad they were still there.I did scoff the larger Pathy armrest (thanks to whomever put me on to that).

I then raided the 08 Off Road X for a climate console since the LED's are out in mine, and replacing them is a lot harder than slapping in a new console...provided this one doesn't have burned LED! Note to self - bring 12V battery and FSM diragrams to test wiring before buying ;)

And now, my X now has a stuck rear door lock. I've yet to try the fixes out there, but a spare door handle seemed like a good thing to grab while I was there. And my pax front speaker died. I'm figuring out the reason I don't get a lot of mods done is that all my time is spent on running maintenance.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Cheers Westslope - I went to school (twice!) in Kingston, great place to live.

The 0430 code I though was the cats? Could a bad ground cause that?

The OBD reader also says I have 2 "pending" P0430 codes. Argh.
I believe so.

In late 2019, I reattached two broken ground straps from the exhaust system. Pending P0430 codes disappeared.

I have read in the past that O2 sensors rarely fail but the ground connection often does.

If P0430 DTC pending or otherwise shows up with other DTCs, often fixing the problems behind those other codes will cause the P0430 code to disappear.

================

Kingston is nice. Minus the freezing rain in the winter months.....

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Well, I sold the xterra. I didn't even realize I still had an ad up for it. Sold local to a nice fella here in Ottawa. Overall, I lost a few bucks on the sale, but the time spent owning it has taught me more about what I am looking for. So, the hunt for a 2011-2015 Xterra continues, there's maybe 5 within a 6 hour drive of me. The P4X's command a 25-30% premium compared to S and SV versions. I am fine with a S version and using the savings to customize it.

Also looking somewhat at Foreseters (I have a Leggy GT and love it), Titan, and there is something about a lifted Juke that makes me smile.

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
So here's the new Gambler. Only its got 180k km, so its less of a Gambler now. But "Moderate Risk" doesn't have the right cache.

2007 S-Model 4x4, 6 spd MT, very clean. Test drove, ran the OBD deep scan, all good. Clean interior, new clutch, one owner. No evidence of accident or even off-roading. Got some nice Toyo snow tires thrown in, $5k Cdn.

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
And then after 150km... Even after doing my own scan, this popped up. Kind of unimpressed by the garage as I specifically asked it if was throwing codes. They've been driving it for a month at least, but "as is" and buyer beware comes with the used car territory. Hoping its something cheap and easy and non-catalytic converter related!

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Anyways, I did reserve a healthy amount of cash for fixes and upgrades. Currently sitting stunned at the price of mud tires. Suspension will be on the list, hopefully the US/Can border opens this summer to save on shipping.

Looking a new head unit. I still have the pathfinder heated leather seats, so will install them at some point, although the OEM seat cushion is actually in decent shape.

A good friend just ran some 240v outlets so that means welding can happen. Tempted to try Canadian company Coastal Offroad with their Ikea-style body armour. Not sure if its for a beginner though? Maybe start with the sliders or rear bumper first until I get the hang of welding.

It does suffer from rust, although less than usual for the age. I don't think I will be doing any metal work on the body, just a bit of bondo over the wheel arch, and inside a door frame. The hitch could use some TLC and maybe a powder coat. A buddy offered his hoist so I'll get under it in the spring, remove the rust and apply fluid film.

So, here we go again!:cool:

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
A Gentex mirror upgrade. This should be easy, right?

The cast of characters:
My vehicle is a 2007 S model, 6 speed. For the upper console I have only the map lights.

One mirror donor is from a 2005-ish Nissan Pathfinder, I believe the SE as it was well loaded. This mirror includes a wiring harness, and appears to have compass, temp, auto dim, and homelink.

The other mirror is believed to have come from a 2008 Xterra Offroad. This mirror includes an upper console, and a wiring harness.

Goal: Get the most functionality out of the existing factory socket , using either the PF or X OR mirror, and the X OR console.

Or wait until another PF arrives at the U-pull with an overhead console I can use.

Picture 3, it looks like it may have a compass or a temp sensor, and an auto dim. I believe it is from an 08, yet its harness is not plug and play with my 07. More on that later.

Pic 4 - I want to say 2005-ish , with Homelink, Auto dim, and a LCD that seems to support compass and ext temp (which I may require a sensor for, unless they are pre-loaded on all trim levels of X)

m05.jpg

Pic 6 random question: The wires leading in to the pax and cargo dome lights only seem to be positive - one for door open on, and one for always on. I thought there had to be a negative wire to make a light work?

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·

Pic 8 - these would plug into the map light area of the pathfinder. They do not fit the Xterra roof console.

Pic 9 - the PF harness, although it does not fit into the 08 X OR roof console, does match my 07 socket at the base of the A pillar. This harness has 10 outputs, whereas my X has only 8 inputs. It is possible the missing inputs could be the temp sensor, I'll have to dig up the pin diagrams. Not sure what all the extra wires are for, compared to my 07's outputs.

Pic 10. Switching back to the X OR mirror, there are 4 inputs, guessing auto dim, compass, neutral and ??

Pic 11 - The harness I took from the X OR A-pillar has a main plug that does not fit my 07. Moreover, there are 13 outputs vs the 8 inputs. I believe the additional wires support the X OR overhead console.

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·

Pic 12 shows the X OR roof console underside. It is here that I believe the addition wires are required. My ideal is to use my stock X A-pillar plug, the Pathfinder Homelink Mirror, and the X OR console. I have no idea if this can be done through splicing etc.

Pic 13 - I believe these are the map lights. The wiring makes sense here, at least I can see a neutral black wire.

Pic 14 is the 2008 X OR console. On of the plugs from this harness appears to feed into one or both of sensors / mic. This one did have a bluetooth box under the pax seat and I believe one is a mic. Any idea what the other plastic covered part is? Power on indicator?

Pic 15 - shows where that plug goes. If it is for bluetooth, I don't require it as I expect it'll be built in to the new head unit I'm looking at. That might free up 2 wires.

Pic 17 (there is no 16) - so my X has I believe 8 wires feeding in to the A-pillar socket.....but in Pic 18 below, my S model only has 4 outputs which I believe are solely to power the map lights and the pax & cargo dome lights.

larger view of the A pillar connectors. It can be removed without taking the dash or other trim off.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 78 Posts