Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
881 Posts
Mine were rusting out, so I ordered the primary and secondary. But the secondary isn't monitored. I only needed one side.
The primaries are the ones that will throw a code.
The Secondaries do have some catalyst material which can clog up if the primaries bust apart and blow into the secondary. Since the secondaries dont really have any effect on codes , if they are in good shape you can leave them, or hollow them out.

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Since the secondaries dont really have any effect on codes , if they are in good shape you can leave them, or hollow them out.
I think my secondary has a sensor coming out of it? ISTR a "fix" that involved pushing this sensor a couple inches out of the exhaust stream to clear a cat code?

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
881 Posts
I think my secondary has a sensor coming out of it? ISTR a "fix" that involved pushing this sensor a couple inches out of the exhaust stream to clear a cat code?
The secondary has the port for the sensor, but it's on the straight pipe section before the catalyst material, so its really just reading what's coming out of the primary. Nothing reads what's coming out of the secondary so it's not "monitored" by a sensor.
Guys who gut their cats use spacers like you mention. Personally I wouldn't mess with that, IMO once you start gutting cats and playing with sensors you are spiraling down a rabbit hole to making your ride run like garbage... just my $.02
You also don't want to run with a failing primary cat... best to fix what is going on with it rather than play with the sensors to fool it.

·
Registered
2006 X 6MT
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks ******* - I'm of the same opinion about moving the sensor out of the stream...it's there for a reason, and tricking it into turning off a SES light is not how I like to do things.

I'll have to look into changing the primaries then. Not looking forward to that, as 90% of my bolts need to ground or melted off.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi Gingie,

Born and raised in Ottawa. Once upon a time, worked as a defence economist in Kingston.

Impressed with your build/re-build. Wish I had easy access to a U-pull wrecker yard but the nearest one is 3 hours drive away (via a tough to drive canyon).

Hard to resolve codes: Have you reconnected or re-seated all the ground straps on the X yet? The P0430 code could be signalling a poor ground connection.

-------

In passing, blowing out the EVAP canister with pressurized air should be sufficient. You can clean out the EVAP vent valve with brake fluid and pressurized air but replacing it with an updated version might be simpler.

Reactions: Gingie
41 - 49 of 49 Posts