Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 inch suspension lift with 33" tires and ShockWorks front bumper, sliders, and skid plates.s.
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I accelerated through a large rain puddle on pavement for the splash effect. A wave of water flowed over the hood and windshield even though the puddle was approximately 6-8 inches deep.

The 2WD icon immediately went blank.

Today the 2WD icon returned. I went to the beach and drove through areas I have driven through multiple times without airing down. However, I got stuck three times and needed a tow each time (I aired down after being stuck for the first time).

My dash displayed various icons pictured below. I was not able to drive normally until the 4WD low icon eventually came on.

Does anyone have any ideas re what is going on? Can it be as simple as a wet/blown fuse?

·
Premium Member
2005 Xterra 4wd 6MT 1.5" lift Heftyfab skids,Shrockworks diff guard,Hardcoreoffroad sliders
393 Posts
Sounds to me like the water got into an electrical connection. I would check all the connections to the transmission and t-case as well as the main harness at the ecm in the engine compartment

·
Registered
6 inch suspension lift with 33" tires and ShockWorks front bumper, sliders, and skid plates.s.
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds to me like the water got into an electrical connection. I would check all the connections to the transmission and t-case as well as the main harness at the ecm in the engine compartment
I know the X does not come with a snorkel but shouldn't it have been designed to encounter some still water situations?

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I know the X does not come with a snorkel but shouldn't it have been designed to encounter some still water situations?
still water yes. but hitting deep water at speed, espcially with things like the front bupmer and parts of the fender liners removed, it can be forced into little nooks and crannies its not supposed to be in.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not mechanically inclined. Do you think I need to bring it to the dealer or can a decent mechanic handle it?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I have been in plenty of deep water (its not called lowcountry for no reason) but remember your rig is now 9 years old. All those o-ring sealed connectors are getting old. I am guessing its on the 4wd actuator connector or one of those 3 limit swtiches that are right on the bottom of the T-Case or the connector on the actuator motor in the same location - I would start there. Take them off one at a time and inspect for any moisture. There shouldn't be any obviously.

I would try to do all you could before you go to a mechanic - unless of course you like to throw money away. Troubleshooting these days usually means they will start replacing parts until you say stop - which may or may not solve the problem.

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
501 Posts
Oh wow.. this is sad.. hopefully you guys can figure it out and fix the issue.. , I bet you guys feel bumped about it just got it all fixed, lifted and now its acting up like that..

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh wow.. this is sad.. hopefully you guys can figure it out and fix the issue.. , I bet you guys feel bumped about it just got it all fixed, lifted and now its acting up like that..
Thanks Sturm. Also thanks for the mechanical advice you gave me earlier today regarding another issue. You are a good and resourceful friend!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been in plenty of deep water (its not called lowcountry for no reason) but remember your rig is now 9 years old. All those o-ring sealed connectors are getting old. I am guessing its on the 4wd actuator connector or one of those 3 limit swtiches that are right on the bottom of the T-Case or the connector on the actuator motor in the same location - I would start there. Take them off one at a time and inspect for any moisture. There shouldn't be any obviously.

I would try to do all you could before you go to a mechanic - unless of course you like to throw money away. Troubleshooting these days usually means they will start replacing parts until you say stop - which may or may not solve the problem.
Other than avoiding large puddles, is there anything I can do to avoid this from happening again? If not, I guess I should avoid getting a snorkel because I will encounter the same problem again.

·
Well then...
1,034 Posts
Other than avoiding large puddles, is there anything I can do to avoid this from happening again? If not, I guess I should avoid getting a snorkel because I will encounter the same problem again.
The snorkel would only stop the engine from breathing in water. The problem here seems to be that the water got into an electrical connector and caused a short. Someone here already mentioned it, but this error looks like a problem with the transfer case actuator that engages 4WD.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The snorkel would only stop the engine from breathing in water. The problem here seems to be that the water got into an electrical connector and caused a short. Someone here already mentioned it, but this error looks like a problem with the transfer case actuator that engages 4WD.
Can this issue be avoided in the future? Did it happen because my X is a 2012 and the connections are not as tight as they should be?

·
Well then...
1,034 Posts
Can this issue be avoided in the future? Did it happen because my X is a 2012 and the connections are not as tight as they should be?
I mean it sounds like you have moisture in a connection, I would double check them and maybe reseal the one that you suspect to be culpable. Take, it easy on the splashing and you should be just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
It sounds like you were in 4H and tried to go to 4Lo while already stuck. To get into 4Lo you need to be in neutral with your foot on the brake. Even then - if things are bound up it may not switch. Switching ranges while already stuck is not generally something I do. I suppose at last resort, but it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't switch because things were jammed.

I would take it somewhere off pavement and try all the ranges properly. Bring the owners manual and follow the instructions. If everything works now - it probably was operator error. Don't worry about it - it happens to all of us.

Until you figure out what is wrong - how do you know what to avoid? Yes you can avoid it by fixing whatever your issue is. It might mean a new connector, or wrapping yours in silicone tape - if it is in fact the connector. Could be other things too - that's just the place to start if you do find it is something wrong.

Like I said I have run plenty deep without issue. Your biggest issue with running in deep water is you will submerge your alternator and fill it with dirt causing an early death.

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
501 Posts
Thanks Sturm. Also thanks for the mechanical advice you gave me earlier today regarding another issue. You are a good and resourceful friend!
Thank you and no problem ! I hope you can find out and figure out this issue that you having here now too !

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My mechanic is still running tests but thinks my problem is likely the transfer case motor. Assuming I do need a new transfer case motor, is there any type of upgrade I should do at this time?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
My mechanic is still running tests but thinks my problem is likely the transfer case motor. Assuming I do need a new transfer case motor, is there any type of upgrade I should do at this time?
The motor unbolts with a few bolts and a connector. Its a super simple task - i pulled one from a pick and pull as a spare and it took me 10 minutes laying under the rig in a junkyard and I had never done it before. Hopefully he doesn't buy one from Nissan because they are crazy expensive. I honestly haven't seen them fail around here before so I am a bit surprised.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,043 Posts
A second to @idn88 , I highly doubt it’s the t-case motor.

It’s water in wiring.
Lose connection, frayed wire, cracked plug, etc. I bet my left pinkie toe on it.
Ask him to pull the motor and bench test it in your presence before agreeing on a replacement.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I 3rd that it is unlikely the transfer case motor. Given the criteria water in a connector is far more likely. If it were me I’d start by disconnecting all plugs on the T-case and dry them out with some compressed air then leave them to sit overnight (or longer if possible). Then reconnect them with some dielectric grease on each one. 10:1 that’ll solve you’re problem.

Edit: also do this on the ABS sensors.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
If its not water in the connectors - then the next thing is the 3 limit switches on the bottom of the T-case. They are mechanical over electrical limit switches. They are easy to test - I think one is NO and the other tow NC - or maybe the other way around. Either way if they switch on a meter they are likely good.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
It could be possible that the OP damaged the t case motor when trying to shift into 4hi/4lo?

that does seem unlikely but anything is possible.

has op opened up the electrical connectors to let them dry sufficiently? try reconnect and see if issues are resolved?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts