Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering in your opinion on which one I should go with. I just need to raise the rear a couple more inches.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
deavers from prg, AAL from calmini seem to be the preferences, both are good setups.

differences is deavers are a mini pack with 3 leafs that bolt up to the bottom of the pack, and the calmini is more like an actual add-a-leaf setup. Calmini also comes with shims and u-bolts, prg's deavers come with neither.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Always use new U-Bolts.<-Period. As for the selection, it's your call.. Calmini, PRG, ALCAN, your local spring shop. Anyone'd be fine..

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the quick responses. I was actually leaning towards the Calmini for the simple fact they come with the shims included.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Save some cash?? Trust me on this, I buy u-bolts 500-1000 at a time for other applications, there is plenty of mark-up on u-bolts. Maybe Ill be like other vendors and insist that you buy them to increase my margins just a bit. The ONLY reason that I say that they are not required is to save YOU some money.
Here are the FACTS about u-bolts. Unless they are overtightened, they will last a very,very long time. Despite what your auto-shop teacher told you. Modern U-bolts are made from the exact same material that you wheel studs are made from, do you replace those every time you rotate your tires. Yes, u-bolts strech, as does ANY bolt or stud. U-bolts actually have a pretty easy life as they are so long that they tend not to fatigue as other shorter bolts might. In the old days, u-bolts were made from junk metal and they would tend to fatigue and the threads would strech, not a problem since the early '70s. Many guys will over tighten u-bolts, but the fine folks at Nissan tend not to do such things. So your u-bolts are fine.
I will order a pallet of u-bolts today, and have them as an option in the future and offer them at the lowest possible cost. These will be a grade higher and a size larger than the factory bolts. I will still insist that new u-bolts are NOT required unless the old ones are damaged, but you will have the option to buy these.
One last thing, I belive I have installed more rear suspension parts on the new Xterras' than any one person alive (well over 100 spring packs personnally, and over 1000 in service) and there has not been one issue of u-bolt problems. We also sell similar packs for the Frontier and Titan, well over 5000 in service combined....again not one u-bolt issue, not one.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
" I think he tells guys that because he trys to save em some cash."

Exactly what i said, to save the comsumer money.

But on the other hand, is it that big a deal to put new ones on there? Especially if you offroad and actually wheel you rig, i know mine were banged up, im on my third set of u bolts. Stock, first replacements when i installed deavers, and thiird set a couple months back when i had the overload taken out.

I dunno, im no xterra suspension expert, but just like my cam bolts, i dont see harm in replacing them where i live. Everything gets trashed with all the road salt. Stuff just doesnt last in ohio and PA like it would in other parts of the country.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Sorry Mark, I guess I read that wrong. I mistook "em" for him. But you are right on all accounts. We will offer the u-bolts, as an upgrade. These will be grade 8, plated, and a 1/2" instead of 12mm. As for shims, I think we may start including them as well, not becasue they are needed but becasue so many people ask for them anyway.
I have a theory that the very few people that have vibrations (about 6 out of 1000+) may have damaged the cv joint during the install by letting the axle rotate forward until the cv binds. More on this later. And although the shims can help this after the fact, they typically still have a small vibration all the time. Where very few ever have ANY vibration even with the spring pack AND a shackle.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Whooooooooo, nothing rotated on me when i did my install. Everything was supposrted properly.

No more vibration though, your shackles,your aal, your shocks. Im still waiting for you to get going on that light bar i suggested to you for in front of the air dam though. Get your ass in gear!

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
Greg:

I think we all appreciate that you try to give us the best deals and lowest prices. And, there is no doubt in my mind that you are the very best in products and customer service for Xterra owners. I try and tell you that every time we talk.

I don't mean you are trying to save some money, but rather save your customers some money.

In my opinion, the low cost of U-Bolts and the importance they play in our rear suspensions makes it a no brainer for me to replace them during an install. The stress from off roading and the harsh winter ice, salt and snow beats them up.

Anyway, Greg you kick ass and thanks again for the help on the phone this past Saturday.

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PrerunnerGreg said:
Sorry Mark, I guess I read that wrong. I mistook "em" for him. But you are right on all accounts. We will offer the u-bolts, as an upgrade. These will be grade 8, plated, and a 1/2" instead of 12mm. As for shims, I think we may start including them as well, not becasue they are needed but becasue so many people ask for them anyway.
I have a theory that the very few people that have vibrations (about 6 out of 1000+) may have damaged the cv joint during the install by letting the axle rotate forward until the cv binds. More on this later. And although the shims can help this after the fact, they typically still have a small vibration all the time. Where very few ever have ANY vibration even with the spring pack AND a shackle.
So Greg, what kind of a price can I get on a spring pack? Everything I need included. I've already got the shackles.

·
on line
90 Posts
I have the AC AAL, and with only around 1500 miles one them, I have had no problems. No shims, no vibrations. However, if I were to do it over again, I would buy the deavers from PRG. From what I have read they have a more factory-ish ride quality. Mine are very stiff.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts