Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2 PMF's (poor mans flush) and every other band aid I could find on here I'm finally shelling out the cash before I go over 90,xxx. Anybody have suggestions on things to take care of while the stealserhip's in there that I wouldn't be able to do myself. Looking for problems people have had down the road they wish they had gotten done at the time. There already flushing what parts of the cooling system that aren't being replaced. And I'll be replacing the thermostat the day I get it back (they wanted 161.09 to do it). Thanks for the help. Bastards wanted $700 to replace the sending unit!!! Hahahaha.

·
on line
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely got SMOD'd. All the flushes, bypassing and inter cooler adding all came a little late I guess. Didn't mind when it started to jump around a little bit, slipping out of high gears on the highway was the last straw. Also the mechanics were pretty knowledgeable about the bypass and let me hold onto it while the parts come in which was pretty cool of them. I live on oahu so there's no telling how long that will take. Guess I should add my name to the registry on here. Sad day...

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Ok, just making sure you were not getting it done as a pre-emptive measure.

Could be a good time to get u-joints replaced.

·
on line
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for looking out. As much as I'd like to say "I'm a mechanical genius", I'm pretty dumb. Took me 28 years to figure that out. But now that I know it, I make sure smart people double check my ideas. Which is kinda smart in its own way....

·
on line
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the dealerships only replacing the trany and radiator, not paying to replace thermostat there. Any idea how hard this is to do and is there anything else I should look at doing besides a coolant flush? Much thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seriously? they are charging you labor to install the thermostat? or just for the part? once the rad is out and the coolant is drained it is three ten mm bolts to replace the themostat. So easy.. an additional 3 min job... I would definitely not charge you. Bring it to my dealer in Canada and I'll do it no charge haha.

Tell them to flush the cooler as sludge and metal debris gets built up in there and can cause a restriction or lack of cooling.

Good luck

·
on line
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seriously? they are charging you labor to install the thermostat? or just for the part? once the rad is out and the coolant is drained it is three ten mm bolts to replace the themostat. So easy.. an additional 3 min job... I would definitely not charge you. Bring it to my dealer in Canada and I'll do it no charge haha. Tell them to flush the cooler as sludge and metal debris gets built up in there and can cause a restriction or lack of cooling. Good luck
Doubt the freight charges from Hawaii would be worth it hahaha thanks though. Do you need to pull the radiator to pull the thermostat?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Doubt the freight charges from Hawaii would be worth it hahaha thanks though. Do you need to pull the radiator to pull the thermostat?
No you don't but its a lot easier when the coolant is drained and the rad is out of the way. Suggest it to them. Tell them what I said about how easy it is to do without the rad in and maybe they will give you a break? Or at least a discount?
Its a pain to get the air out of these cooling systems and its a shame to open up the cooling system again after the rad is replaced and the air is bled. Once you replace the thermostat you will have to repeat the bleeding procedure and waste new coolant etc etc
Also get them to check the rear main oil seal once the trannys out if its leaking at all replace it... You have to remove the transmission to replace this seal. 12hrs labor for a 30$ seal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts