Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there people. I know this is my first post and I did all sorts of searching to see if I could find a way to do this, but what I'm trying to find out is if I can rig my fogs to stay on with the high beams like I did with my old Silverado. See this thread http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-gm-trucks/81-electrical/179827-all-headlight-mod-how.html

All it took was a diode running from the fog relay to the high beam relay, but I have no idea if my 2010 Xterra has a similar set up.

The way this worked on my Silverado was that the fog light switch worked as normal with low beams and when my high beams were on, so were the fog lights (always).

Anyone here know enough about the relays in our X's to help me out?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
None of the links provided are as simple as what I did to my Silverado. I DID use the search function and saw the threads you guys posted.

Did either of you look at the link I posted?

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
None of the links provided are as simple as what I did to my Silverado. I DID use the search function and saw the threads you guys posted.

First off, your link doesn't work. For me anyways.

Second, both of those guys just answered your question so watch the attitude, they're helping you out.

The Xterra has nothing to do with a Silverado so it's not going to be the same process. If its too difficult for you I handle then it looks like you just won't be able to have high beams and fogs at the same time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
may not be simple, but it is the method that works on this truck, unless you come up with something else. gotta remember not all vehicles are the same...........and not every mod will be simple.

and the link is blocked for me right now, i am at work.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
the link you posted does not work on my work computer or on my phone and the how to's are really easy, Rescue 119 and I did it for the first time following a printed version of the how to in under 45 minutes with him working out of his apartment last summer ( truck was parked on the side of the street)

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
If you take out the http:// at the end of your link it will work for us.

With the way Nissan controls their lights either do a fuse tap of the parking lights or run wires from the stock switch to a relay. That will give you control of the fogs. Taping the fog light fuse directly into the parking light fuse has resulted in issues for other people, it's best to run wires from the switch to the relay.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts

As mentioned by others the Silverado is a totally different truck so different methods are needed to achive the same result. It may not be as simple as you would like (or did before) but it's what you got to do if you want the same result.

I also can't get your link to work.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
FIXED the link. This isn't my first rodeo in a forum. PLEASE don't treat me like a typical newb that doesn't know how to use a search function or someone that doesn't know that this is a different vehicle.

I was hoping someone had done more research than I have - been searching the net for a week - before posting my question.

Please check out my link - I'd try this mod if I could find the high beam headlamp relay (which there doesn't seem to be an image of for the 2nd gens, according to Google).

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
If you want to blaze a new trail on this then it would seem you need to get a copy of the FSM, that will give you access to wiring diagrams. With those you should be able to replicate the method from the Chevy. Let us know if it can be done that simply, or if something expensive fries.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you want to blaze a new trail on this then it would seem you need to get a copy of the FSM, that will give you access to wiring diagrams. With those you should be able to replicate the method from the Chevy. Let us know if it can be done that simply, or if something expensive fries.
lol I don't think frying anything is on my "to-do" list.

All the mod on the Chevy did was tap the hot from relay input of the high beams and send it to the fog light relay. The diode was there to prevent the fogs from turning the high beams on. Shouldn't fry anything as there is no power going to the fog relay from anywhere else when the high beams are on.

I guess, now I'll I need to know is where the high beam relay is. I can find the low beam and the fog relays, but not the high beam... the search continues.

Thanks to those that posted links and tried to help. Sorry my link was originally fubar...

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
the fuses for that are on the IPDM board and I am guessing that the relays are in the smaller panel in front of the IPDM( but that Is just a guess

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've got the FSM and while it shows diagrams indicating there are two high beam relays, left and right side, the IPDM diagram doesn't show where they are. WTH?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I've got the FSM and while it shows diagrams indicating there are two high beam relays, left and right side, the IPDM diagram doesn't show where they are. WTH?
If I am reading your question correctly, its not possible with the way Nissan set up the IPDM. Nissan triggers everything with grounds instead of positives. If you could figure out a way to hack the IDPM and or get ahold of a consult III "Nissan Proprietary programer" then it you be possible to do a minimally invasive solution.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I am reading your question correctly, its not possible with the way Nissan set up the IPDM. Nissan triggers everything with grounds instead of positives. If you could figure out a way to hack the IDPM and or get ahold of a consult III "Nissan Proprietary programer" then it you be possible to do a minimally invasive solution.
Somehow, I don't think it's worth that kind of effort :thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts