Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
on line
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, Here is the Problem: Whenever I am going slow and turning the wheels I get a Click click click pop. If I am going 40 and then come to a stop and go straight, nothing. Come to a stop and turn, the noise upon acceleration. In reverse too, going 40 then- no just kidding- but going in reverse and turning the wheels also produces noise. This only happens going slow and turning.

Here is my set-up. 2" coil spacers in front and 2" Calmini shackles in rear.
Shrock front bumper with winch. Alignment done recently. 2005 4x4 Auto.

I used to have a clunk involved too, but I fixed that. The diff was hitting the crossmember. I found it on a TSB and followed the fix to the letter. There was actually a dent on my front diff where it was slamming the member.

I do have some UCA to Bucket contact marks from going off road and hitting at full droop. But I can't imagine that they are contacting on pavement.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

·
on line
51 Posts
Hmm I was thinking bad CV joint? How many miles on your truck?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Do you feel the noise in the steering wheel, such as the wheel wanting to snap back straight? How loud is the click click pop?

·
on line
3,050 Posts
I am gonna check my front swaybar bushings tonight. I dont hear a clicking sound at all, but if I know they are gonna wearout I will change them now. Is it an easy install?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
No, they are not the bar end bushings. To be honest, I can't remember what they are called exactly. If they are not wore out yet, don't bother changing them. My new ones were shot in a matter of a couple months.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Muzikman said:
No, they are not the bar end bushings. To be honest, I can't remember what they are called exactly. If they are not wore out yet, don't bother changing them. My new ones were shot in a matter of a couple months.
If you remeber then let me know....

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I am not sure that is going to help. It's not something I have tried yet.

Give it a shot. Take the stock bushing into an auto parts store and see what they have.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
ya, this may sound like a dumass responce, my my dad has the exact same problem in his sierra. we greased everything really well and it instantly went away
best of luck

·
on line
3,218 Posts
I should switch to polyurethane right?
Yes
ENERGYSUSPENSION.com for part #s, then to your autozone, checker, etc. to order them. If I'm tracking, you are correct in that the sway bar ends, are called end links. But if you think of the bar as a long W, (the end links are of course on the ends..), there are bushings in the middle also, holding the bar to the Xmember. DON'T get the greasable type as the brackets they supply are crap, and will break/snap/go in no time.. Zerk the OE stuff and you're GTG.

·
on line
79 Posts
just ask for swaybar to frame bushings..... but i would agree with nvrmore that it could very well be an outside CV joint going bad in one of the half-shafts

·
on line
3 Posts
Wow that really sounds like the spider gear in the front diff to me. If the sway bar thing doesn't work out take it to the dealer to have the front diff inspected.

·
on line
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pop Click

40,000 miles or so. Enough to be out of warranty right? I inspected the Sway bar bushings in the middle of the crossmember, and they are definately forced open on the crossmember side. They are round bushings with a split so that they can be pushed around the bar. The metal then clamps the bushing with the bar in it to the frame. It seems like the bar desperately wants out of the bushing and is working its way towards a metal-to-metal contact situation. For one reason or the next, though, the noise has hushed in the last few days. Its been raining here. I am going to take it apart and grease it to see if it helps. If grease hushes it for a while, then I will replace, but i kinda have my doubts that this is the problem. I really hope its not the diff.

·
on line
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BTW it cant be felt in the truck or in the steering wheel. If the window is up and the radio is on, you don't notice.

·
on line
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And the Winner is...

And the Winner is ... mcampana, with front sway bar! It was the front sway bar causing all of these noises so I took it off and threw it into the lake behind my house.
The shrock plate that goes behind the sway bar mounts causes the bushings to wear away and allows metal to metal contact. The bar itself was polished clean behind the bushing, and the bushing was cupped and worn. Also the loud pop was from the crimped-on stop that is outside the bushing. It was clicking on the shrock plate. I think that potentially everyone with a Shrock front bumper may see this eventually. There is not enough play in the sway bar to allow it to move the extra 3/16ths froward without eating bushings.
Just kidding about the lake. I greades the bushings and put them back without the mount behind them. Can't run the skid for now, but ALL of the noises are gone.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts