Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally decided on tires. I have a unfixable slow leak that I am getting sick of and have been looking for tires for a month now. Was a rock punching a hole through a tread that has now been atched 3 times.

I was considering the following:
BFG MT KO
Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ
Cick Cepek FC-II
Toyo Open Country MT
Firestone Destination MT

After lots of research, help from you guys, and a damn good deal, I have decided to go with the Toyo Open Country MT.

Remember, I am in Canada and we pay more for pretty much everything. Even though our dollar is almost on par with the US dollar.

Heres the pricing I was able to find for each

BFG MT - $231 per tire + 13% tax(incl balance and install) at Costco
Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ $285 all in (inc tax) @ OK Tire Cilliwack
Dick Cepek FC-II - $283 all in (inl tax) @ OK Tire Chilliwack
Firestone Destination MT - $279 all in (inc tax) @ OK Tire Chiliwack
Toyo Open Country MT - $254 all in(inc tax) at OK Tire Chilliwack

I attended an Off Road show 2 weeks ago and OK Tire Chilliwack was offering a discount if I bought within a month of the show. The OK tire in Langley was $300 for each tire + taxes.
The nice kicker here is that they actually gave me the price of the Open Country AT by mistake - this was $50 per tire difference. They are honouring their quote. :cheers:
I am scheduled for 3 pm tomorrow.

I am getting 285/75R16 and am getting the 5th tire for a spare.
I will post pics soon!!!

·
on line
896 Posts
dude, you are gonna LOVE them, it doesn't seem like a real big difference until you step up into the X, then you're like DAYUM THIS IS AWESOME. CONGRATS on the tires

·
on line
564 Posts
WOW...those prices in Canada are freak'n 'spensive!

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the pics of my new Toyo Open Country MT 285/75R16.
They were a tight fit. The tire place was reluctant to put them on. I told them about the melt mod, which I did do and it works great. The only concern I have (besides gas milage) is that if I do turn really sharp, the inside edge of the lugs will rub on the actual frame of the truck. He showed me when the had the truck lifted.

Otherwise, I love the look of the tires, they fill the spce nicely, are mega aggressive, a bit of road noise, and were great off road so far. Lots of lookers when I pull up to the stop lights.

Now I need to decide on a body lift or some kind of levelling for the front. Suggestions????

·
on line
2,077 Posts
tires look great!

do a suspension lift next, it will give you more advantages offroad, body lift is just to get larger tires under there.

also, what are you towing in that list pic, rear looks like it's weighted down pretty good.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
towing a tent trailer
heres a pciture before the new tires

·
on line
3,218 Posts
The only concern I have (besides gas milage) is that if I do turn really sharp, the inside edge of the lugs will rub on the actual frame of the truck. He showed me when the had the truck lifted.
If they're that tight at rest, you're going to have real issues when you stuff a tire, or turn in compression. My $.02, get a body lift quick or start losing rubber.. Suspension lift won't help as the tires will still lift to where they do now, only difference is they'll droop further. Seems like you need to create distance between the rubber and the frame..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts