Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out in our region do any Geocaching?
I've been reading into it, and it def looks like something that I want to get myself into. I've been reading up on Geocaching.com already and created an account there, same "npgtech" as here if anyone else is there and wants to add me.
Any pointers from the "vets"?

·
on line
2,072 Posts
I have done some over the last 2 years, all in BC. I have two kids that really like doing it, It is a great way to getthem outside instead of on the TV.

·
on line
564 Posts
It's a pretty fun sport to get into. I've been doing it on and off for about 4 years now. It's pretty cool when your travelling too...it usually takes you place you'd never think of going. It also gave me a good reason to buy my first gpsr...a garmin 60cs. You should try it...it's addicting!

Rob

·
on line
14,014 Posts
firemansxterra said:
yeah i think i'm going to give that a run...we are all always out on camping and hiking trips and i think this could take you some places that you wouldn't know about specialy if you're out of town
Yeah dude, if I was back home and that close to the Appalachians I would have no excuse not to...so neither do you! Get outta the Noke, lol!

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like I'm def going to have to get into this then, with this much attention. Looks like I'm picking up another hobby when I get back. I'm oh so close to being home YAY!!

·
on line
564 Posts
npgtech said:
Looks like I'm def going to have to get into this then, with this much attention. Looks like I'm picking up another hobby when I get back. I'm oh so close to being home YAY!!

Get'n short huh...well, be safe over there!

Have you looked on geocaching.com? There might be some caches over there and if not you can place one (or more). There are caches all over the world. If you don't have a gpsr with you (I take mine when I deploy) you can still geocache...it's just a little tougher.

Rob

·
on line
564 Posts
npgtech said:
That's a great idea, I have finally registered on the site, didn't think about looking at my location, good idea.

Cool, let us know if there's any caches there.

Rob

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, I looked on geocaching.com, and there are quiet a bit out here, no if I only had a gps unit to use, then I would be able to find these. Time to go shopping.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have been caching since late 2000 (just after it started). I do not have many finds, but if you choose the caches you want to find carefully, they can take you to some really cool places you would not have found any other way.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Hey Nick;

Krystal and I did this before I deployed and we found a bag of weed by one Cache and I almost stepped on a Water Moccasin while we were going to another cache....I haven't really done it since getting back from deployment.

·
on line
35 Posts
I have 250 caches under my belt and still going strong. Get yourself a good handheld GPS. I would recommend the Garmin 60 CSx or the Garmin eTrex Venture HC. The Venture is the lower end model and the 60 is the cadillac of GPS, no lie! I have the 60 CSx and it does everything but tuck me in at night.

Geocaching has been a way for me to see new places on my motorcycle and explore new trails (hiking) on foot. Anytime we go away on vacation I always load up a few and try and find them. Some are very amusing while others are a simple cache and dash type find that will take you longer to get to than to actually locate. In any case I am very pleased that I got into the sport (?) and I am sure you will enjoy it too.

·
on line
278 Posts
Glad to see that this is getting some good publicity. I just got into it a week or so ago, and so far, I am hooked. I usually use my TomTom GO720 to get as close to it as possible, and then pull out the Garmin eTrex to finish it off. Surprisingly, TomTom is pretty darn good if you have nothing else to go by. Like LR_Se7eN said, a lot of them are "park & grab" type caches. And some you will spend an hour to find something the size of a AAA battery. Nothing more aggrivating than that. But, it's pretty cool. I highly recommend it for anyone that likes to get out of the house and discover new places. It's especially good for kids, getting them involved with "treasure hunting" and away from the "idiot box".

·
on line
3,436 Posts
I'd like to see some new sites in my area, I'll probably start looking into this.

·
on line
278 Posts
Another little side-game of Geocaching is called "Benchmarking". Not as rewarding, but still kind of neat. Trying to find the NGS Benchmarks that are out there. There are a lot that haven't yet been "found" by average joes, so to be the first to log it IS kind of rewarding. Just something else to get you out of the house and seeing parts of your town that you wouldn't normall visit.

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts