Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This has been on the to-do list for awhile. Finally scored one on eBay on for a reasonable price last month. These mirrors came Factory in 06,07 Pathfinders and some 06-09 Frontiers. For the temp sensor I grabbed several off of Maximas at the junkyard, figured at least one of the three would be good.

Biggest question I had before buying the mirror was the pin outs on the plug since it did not come with one and the only 453 temp plug I found on eBay was about $75 for a whole wiring harness and temp sensor. Wasn’t going to pay that just for the plug. Googling led to lots of other people asking the same questions about the pin outs on the mirror but no real info on what they were. With a little research of my own I found the answers. The info on the plugs, wiring diagrams, and pin outs can be found at the bottom of this post for anyone searching and comes across this thread.

To solve the plug problem I got a couple from other cars in the junkyard that already had mirrors removed but the plugs were left behind. Since pre wired connectors were not in the plugs in the right holes I tried to remove the connectors and put them in the right place.

This is how that turned out. Good thing I got 2.

The wires can be removed but you need something very tiny and rigid to fit into the hole above the connector to depress the tab on the connector.

You can see the small holes here

So I sacrificed a plug but I got all the wired connectors out undamaged. The brown and blue wires were not needed in the positions they were in so I put the Blue and Brown wires from the destroyed plug in the holes for the temp sensor on the plug I was going to use for my mirror.

To put them in you have to pop the white section up by pushing in and up on it through the square hole on each side with a small screw driver. Don’t worry it won’t fall out.

The little tab on top of the connector need to be bent upwards a little.

Make sure you put it in the right hole (TWSS) as previously discussed it won’t be coming back out.

New wires for the temp sensor inserted and unnecessary wires cut off.

All done with plug

Testing the plug with the junkyard temp sensor

On to the install!

I ran the wire for the temp sensor the weekend before. There is square hole for the sensor on the support in front of the radiator.

Temp sensor clip fits right into it.

Others with a factory auto dimming mirror wanting to upgrade and keep the stock wiring may find this info handy. I wanted to be able to take the mirror out and put the factory one back in if I ever trade it.

This is the factory plug. Take a small screwdriver and press down on the tabs. You will be able to pull the female pins right out of the factory plug.

I had these male pins left over from another project and they fit in the factory pins nice and snug.

Ground wire plugged into factory plug. The sun was going down at this point making pictures a bit difficult.

Put heat shrink over the wires and held a lighter near it to get it nice and tight over the connection. Now if I ever trade it I can just remove the shrink wrap and plug the original mirror in.

The Homelink has a separate wire, when I originally wired the truck I ran extra wires to the overhead console and to the cargo area for future projects. Was just a matter of picking one and plugging it in to one of my added constant power lines in the dash.

All connections made and taped up.

Mirror and wire cover in place

For those seeking info on plugs on Gentex 453 mirrors.

This is a quick drawing I did to illustrate the pin out for the plug from the 2007 Pathfinder factory service manual with the wire colors

The plug I used from a Maxima had a connector in hole #6 already, when I tried putting power on it the mirror turned on so I kept that. Not sure if both #6 and #7 can be used for power or if that was a typo in the manual. All the plugs on these I have come across had the mirror power on #6 and Homelink power on #10 Ground seems to be #3 on all of them.

Diagram for how I wired it.

For anyone looking for info on the 313 wiring diagram / pinouts this is how it’s shown in the factory manual for the 2004 Titan. Yes, all but ground has a red stripe.

Of course use this information at your own risk.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thank you for this! I got mine installed tonight. But I still have to find a temp sensor somewhere. My harness I got is wired incorrectly for the Temp according to your diagram. How do I get new wires in the correct holes with out having a spare harness to break open? Do I just need to find some of those male pins?

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can get you a temp sensor from the junk yard. I may also still have some of the pins left over from the plug I took apart.

·
Registered
236 Posts
So I got one of these all wired up and working fine but can't program the Homelink at all. The opener is a universal remote with 10 dip switches set (ie. fixed code) but I can't get the homelink to catch it.... anybody have any idea? Here's what I've been doing:

1. Hold the left and right buttons until the light blinks red rapidly, release
2. Hold the button I want to program (ie. left), and it blinks a slow blink (on half second, off half second)
3. Without releasing the homelink button in (2), hold old the garage remote button - at this point progress stops and I just get a slow blink.

What's supposed to happen is after you hold both the buttons down for say 20 seconds, the slow blink should turn to a fast blink and then you're good. But mine just keeps on blinking slowly for a minute, maybe 90 seconds, and then turns off altogether. I'm stumped.

I've tried repeatedly pressing my remotes button every 2 seconds/4 seconds/random seconds per the Canadian instructions (remotes can only emit for 2 seconds here I think). I've checked the opener itself but there's no program/learn button or anything, it's just a simple dip code (just like in my remote garage opener). The very first set of instructions I saw had a process about pushing left buttons for dip up, right for dip down, but that doesn't seem to do anything either and now I can't find that page to review. I replaced the battery in the remote in case it was just too weak but that did nothing. Am I S.O.L.?

Edit: worst part is I'm in a rental so I don't have the option of going out and buying a new opener or universal remote or anything like that.

·
Registered
968 Posts
birdman86 - I just replaced my 455 mirror (Compass/Temp) with an older 313. Everything works fine. I had to press the program/learn button on my opener (Overhead Door brand). I had to take the light cover off to be able to access the button ... maybe you do as well? What brand is your opener?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've tried repeatedly pressing my remotes button every 2 seconds/4 seconds/random seconds per the Canadian instructions (remotes can only emit for 2 seconds here I think).
Did you try holding the remote button down continuously? I understand the CA version must be different somehow but for my US version the remote button needed to be held down for a good 20 sec before the code was learned by the Homelink. The other steps you listed are consistent with what I did.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replaced Photobucket photos since this will be helpful for anyone that buys the Temp/ Comp mirrors I currently have listed for sale.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This was huge for me figuring out how to go from a stock 05 rear view to a 313. I however have both G/W in 7 and G/R in 6, anyone have any ideas on why there’s both? My thought was Constant on G/W and Ignition on G/R? Also going from a non-electric mirror, would the Homelink wire be a Constant 12v or something else?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts