Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I've searched and searched and searched. I've also asked tons of questions. I think I've come to the grand desicion of what tires I'm going to run and what all I may have to modify to make them not rub, if they do rub.

I'm going to be going with the BFG Mud Terrain tires sized at 255/85. The biggest reason I've chosen these tires is that I personal know 3 people who are running these exact tires (different sizes though) who love them for both their offroad performance but also how they do on the highway. I will be using the stock wheels which sooner or later will be stealth-ified!

I have only two questions that remain unanswered.

1.) How much should I expect my mileage to drop? I can't find how much they weigh, so I'm sorry I can't give you that information. The reason that I'm curious of this is because about 80% of my on-road driving is highway (80 mile high way round trip everyday to work).

2.) Will I be able to fit the spare tire back under the rear of the truck? If not, that's fine (I will just get myself a safari rack and strap it up top). But I'd like to have it back underneath until I can get a rack. I only found one thread where one person said that they got their's to fit, but it really wasn't elaborated on.

Thanks in advance. This website reminds me of the Blazer website that I am a big part of. Tons and tons of information can be found with just taking the time to hit the search button.

·
on line
2,004 Posts
Well, here's what u can do. Keep the spare stock. If your doing more on-road driving than off-road, I would suggest going with an A/T tire as opposed to an m/t. or purchase another set, and switch them out everytime you wheel. if ur going to be going 80 miles a day, u should see a difference. go with an A/T.

The spare u can keep stock, cause if u do blow a tire, u need to get urself off the trail, and the spare will be able to do that, and then u should head straight to a tire shop to replace it. that's my 2 cents

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Unless I'm missing it, I don't see the 255's in the KM2's. The older KM 255/85 is listed at 53 lbs. Inexplicably, there is only one tires size under 17" for the new KM2's. Most serious off-road vehicles use 15" or 16" rims.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=BFGoodrich&model=Mud-Terrain+T/A+KM&tirePageLocQty=

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=BFGoodrich&model=Mud-Terrain+T/A+KM2&tirePageLocQty=

I once carried a 285 in the spare tire stow area. It's a snug fit but it'll fit.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
get the same size for the spare, it will still fit under the X and if you blow a tire on the trail you won't screw up the others from uneven wear driving it back home or to the tire shop.

·
on line
641 Posts
Ricky said:
1.) How much should I expect my mileage to drop? I can't find how much they weigh, so I'm sorry I can't give you that information. The reason that I'm curious of this is because about 80% of my on-road driving is highway (80 mile high way round trip everyday to work).
I apologize for going off-topic but man I thought my 33-mile roundtrip everyday was bad. WOW!

·
on line
259 Posts
If you are really concerned about mileage you should stick to all-terrains or even highway tires.
Like Yokohama A/T +II

or A/T +S

or Firestone Destination AT

1.) How much should I expect my mileage to drop?
I read people are loosing 2 or 3 mpg with Mud-Terrains...

I love that size/tire though..

·
on line
500 Posts
Yokohama Geolander A/T +II are no longer available, but I just got the Geolander A/T S and they are the best tire I've ever owned, but they are the most expensive tires I've ever owned. The BFG Long Trails were great in the dry and good in rain, but only average in ice. Where the Yok's are a step above in all catagories.

You get what you pay for.
Patrick

·
on line
2,125 Posts
i really love my nitto terragrapplers and they ARE made in USA. lol they are my first AT tire and i love them sooooo far and definately will be buying them again.

·
on line
16 Posts
I dont have them on the X yet but LOVE the Terras!!!! I have three dffrent sets on my old rig and never had an issue... 50K+ milae on highway and grips offroad like nothing I have had previously.

BTW the previous sizes I ran

265/75/16 (31.8x10)
285/75/16 (32.8x11.5)
315/75/16 (35x12.5)

as you can see as the truck went up the tires got bigger but stood the same :)

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The reason I'm liking the Mud Terrains is for one obvious reason... 90% of my offroad is in the mud pits. I've taken my truck (stock) through a lot and gotten stuck quite a bit. I've also gotten hung up in the snow a couple times. As I said before I know 3 people personally who have the Mud Terrains on their trucks and have seen how they do both on and offroad. I am pretty set on them. It's still going to be a couple weeks until I order them so don't get me wrong, I am still going to explore a lot of different options.

Also, the Mud Terrains are available in 255/85 - http://store.summitracing.com/partd...400073+4294921520+4294904418+115&autoview=sku

I am definitely going to get the spare changed over to the Mud Terrain or whatever tire I do choose.

Now as for the All Terrains. I've heard a lot of good about them, but have had 2 bad experiences with them. That's what comes on the Hummer H2. I've had my dad's H2 stuck twice. Both times were on snowy hills. One was actually in the dark as I was sliding down the hill backwards. That just kind of left a BAD taste in my mouth (and fisions of my dad kicking my ass). But like I said, I'm open to suggestion. How well do they perform in different kinds of mud (soupy, thick, etc).

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I have an appointment tomorrow at 1pm to get these beasts put on. 5 of them mounted and balanced for $1,050. I don't think that's tooooo bad. I could get them from Summit for $900 + $80 shipping and then tack on $20 a tire to mount and balance. I'd also have to wait for them to ship them. For less money I'm driving to the shop and having someone else worry with the shipping and hooblah.

Anyway, I called about 6 different places today pricing and asking questions. Of the 6 places I called I had to convince 5 people that they actually made a 255/85. Then I had to convince 3 of them that they would fit. I got into a downright arguement with one person. I fowarded him to this website and told him if he didn't believe me come on this website and tell all of the other people who have the same size on their truck that they won't fit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts