Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just looked through my FOUR WHEELER magazine and read THIS article. From my searches HERE everyone loves them. From tire rack a 285/75/16 costs $121 with a tread life warenty of 60,000 miles. PLUS they have a 30 day test drive as a manufacturer special warrenty. BFG ATs 285/75/16 cost $176 from Tire Rack, with NO tread life warrenty and no manufacturer special warrenty. Hmm, quality + low marketing= low tire price. Quality+high marketing=high price. :D
General


BFG
 

·
on line
Joined
·
10 Posts
Of course you post this the day after I buy BFG's...
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scary Mc said:
Of course you post this the day after I buy BFG's...
well it depends on how much you want to go through, but you could see about returning them....might have to pay a restocking fee. dunno, I sure like them over the BFG though.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
671 Posts
I'm on my 5th pair of BFG AT's lifetime
2 on my F150,1 on Bronco,1 on Expedition & I replaced stock LongTrails on my new X with under 150 miles!
Never had any problems & they look sweet!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,791 Posts
yeah, but i have to say, that tread pattern looks mighty familiar.

How durable is the rubber?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Deltaphi216 said:
yeah, but i have to say, that tread pattern looks mighty familiar.

How durable is the rubber?
Dont know how durable the rubber is but General is no company to snub a nose at, they are a real big ball player in the tire industry. If they have a 60,000 mile tread life warrenty I would venture to say that there probably decent. Just looking at the specs and parousing through the reviews, and stuff from both tires, and just looking at the tread, I would say that General brought this tire out specificly aiming at the BFG AT tire, since it has such a hold on the AT catagory.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
52 Posts
BFG AT KO has a triple-ply sidewall...General has a two-ply sidewall. If you're gonna off-road a lot with these tires, then i would get BFG AT KO for it's proven durability and 3-ply sidewall.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
10 Posts
Thai said:
BFG AT KO has a triple-ply sidewall...General has a two-ply sidewall. If you're gonna off-road a lot with these tires, then i would get BFG AT KO for it's proven durability and 3-ply sidewall.
I think alot of this depends on the thickness of the sidewall plys. Would you rather have three thin plys or two thick plys?
I'm not sure about the thickness of either, but folks seem to get hungup on sales pitches. I sure did.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,206 Posts
The Generals are a bad ass tire and have worn great for everyone I know that is running them.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
52 Posts
Scary Mc said:
I think alot of this depends on the thickness of the sidewall plys. Would you rather have three thin plys or two thick plys?
I'm not sure about the thickness of either, but folks seem to get hungup on sales pitches. I sure did.
Let me rephrase that: do you prefer well-known, proven BFG AT KO with proven & durable 3-ply sidewall OR do you prefer a small company, unproven General 2-ply sidewall???

Sorry, i go with what is proven...and the fact that it's BFG 3-ply not just Bob's 3-ply makes the icing on the cake IMHO.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,218 Posts
Wondering what your interest in an Xterra forum was, and how you garnered your keen interest in tires, that's all. I'll trade you my '66 IH Scout800 for your G..
 

·
on line
Joined
·
52 Posts
DBAX said:
Wondering what your interest in an Xterra forum was, and how you garnered your keen interest in tires, that's all. I'll trade you my '66 IH Scout800 for your G..
I knew about this site and got involved via S_e_xterra...we off-road together. I try to keep up with his Xterra monster. :cheers:

As for tires, i have plenty of experience with most popular brands...i used to run all sorts of tires on my old 4runner and now my G. I am also the admin/creator of the 4runner forum that you see in my signature...so, i get to discuss about tires all the time.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thai said:
Scary Mc said:
I think alot of this depends on the thickness of the sidewall plys. Would you rather have three thin plys or two thick plys?
I'm not sure about the thickness of either, but folks seem to get hungup on sales pitches. I sure did.
Let me rephrase that: do you prefer well-known, proven BFG AT KO with proven & durable 3-ply sidewall OR do you prefer a small company, unproven General 2-ply sidewall???

Sorry, i go with what is proven...and the fact that it's BFG 3-ply not just Bob's 3-ply makes the icing on the cake IMHO.
Hey Thai, not to be the as$ [email protected] but did you read the article I put in the first post at all??

This came from FOUR WHEELER magazine, not just some sales pitch I heard.
NOTE: "Brand X" is BF Goodrich. And I quote:
"True "Brand X" is a name Americans have come to know and trust, but looking past that, we relized that General tire which is actiually owned by Continental, is the primary shareholder of European tire market. This doesn't mean squat until you understand that the average European consumer is influenced more by performance than price. Maybe thats why the finest sports cars cost so much, yetlack simple conveniences like cupholders. It's safe to say that General tire developed the new Grabber AT2 with the enthusiast in mind. True "Brand X" does spend a ton on marketing its off pavement prowess, but how much of the price of yorutires do you want going to marketing campaigns?"

And as for ply, 3ply vs. 2 ply, take a look at procomp Xterrain tire: 2ply, AWSOME off road tire for traction and punture resist. not much for durablility, but that not why you look at the ply count.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DBAX said:
just going thru the pics now and saw the Xterra pics, well done :director2:
Thanks DBAX. HERE are some more pics of it having some fun. Mine is the one with the tire on the roof.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
52 Posts
brutus...i have that exact FourWheeler magazine with that article. I read it. It was NOT a direct comparison between the two tires. It never said that General was better than BFG AT KO. It just said that BFG may have spent more money on marketing...that's it.

Again, it was NOT a direct comparison between product A vs. product B. I felt that it was more like the Fourwheeler people came to General's headquarters and heard the sales pitch, took a few testdrives here & there, and then wrote about it! I don't even think that FourWheeler even tested it much. If you read some of the other tire reviews in that magazine, then you will see that they did a lot more with the other tires.

So, the real question is...did YOU read the article closely??
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top