Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
That truck looks amazing! Well done Sir.
That trim job looks amazing I think I saw on another thread that you used Mar-Hyde? Is that correct? Did you prep besides some degreaser/acetone?
Thanks guys! :eek:ccasion5:

Correct, I've only used Mar-Hyde Black Satin Automotive Trim Coating and a Aerosol Spray Can Trigger for painting.

I've used the same prep process on everything so far that I got from the manufacturer (3M). I scrub down everything that's getting painted with a heavy duty degreaser/wax remover (Krud Kutter) and a green brillo pad. After scrubbing for a while I give it a rinse and see if there are any sections that the water is still beading on. If there are, I repeat the previous step until the water is sheeting off completely.

After that I let it dry and then use acetone on a clean paper towel to wipe everything down, I use a new one for each thing to be painted.

Last step and by far the most time consuming until you get a hang of it is using green automotive painters tape to go around the trim. I've been buying everything from Automotive Touchup and they have a Pre-Taped Masking Film With Dispenser that's pretty awesome, it's a tape roll with a plastic sheet that you unravel after taping it down and covers about 3 feet outward.

Once taped off you're good to paint. The cans go pretty far but here's what I've used for reference:

Wheels: 2 cans
Front bumper cover, Side moldings, door handles, emblems: 2 cans
Rear bumper corners: 1 can
Wetbox and rails: 1 can

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
How hard was it to pull off the windshield wiper cowl? I want to paint mine but last time I pulled on off on a vehicle I cracked the windshield.
That's what I was worried about too but it actually wasn't that bad. The drivers side was a little more stuck than the passenger but neither was horrible.

It helps if you have something to pry with, a long crow bar would have been great. I used a large flat tip to pry it up using the cowl itself as leverage with no problem but if I was doing it again I'd have used a wooden block or something.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #146 (Edited)
My bedliner job on the the rear bumper trim from a couple years ago wasn't holding up too well so I pulled it off to work on it again. That was the first thing I've painted and honestly I had no idea what I was doing back then so I made more than a few mistakes made that I think led to this result:

It took about an hour to scrape all the bedliner off and I scratched it up pretty good so I need to sand it down now before painting but I noticed something interesting on it. I'd touched up some of the missing bedliner sections with that Black Satin paint I've been using on everything else lately and when I was scraping off the bedliner I had to also scrape over those sections. I thought it would probably flake off like paint normally does but instead the color was actually in the plastic, almost like a dye. It could be scratched and would still show black and not gray. I'm hoping that translates to longevity for the rest of the plastics I've painted with the stuff.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #149 (Edited)
Out on the trail yesterday afternoon and was about to head home but saw an open gate on a trail I've wanted to do for a long time so I went for it even though there was a decent amount of thunder rumbling and it was close to 7pm. The trail turned out to be a bit of a trap because it was so narrow with a huge dropoff on one side I couldn't turn around and had to follow it to the end.

When I finally got to the end (actually a merge with another trail) and was able to turn around I turned the headlights on because it was getting kind of dark out and discovered when I replaced the guts on my turn signal lever that I screwed something up and it was stuck on high beam.

I'm thinking crap I have to 1st get out of the mountains followed by at least 50 miles of highway driving so that won't work. I carry all the tools needed to work on pretty much anything fixable so in no time at all I had the switch removed and opened up. Figured out what was wrong, I even happened to have dielectric grease so I was able to regrease everything before assembly.

It's kinda weird but there's something satisfying about being deep in the mountains, miles down a narrow dark trail that I'm not even sure the name of, having a problem like that and being able to fix it before driving home to where most of my neighbors don't know how to change a headlight bulb haha.

·
Registered
206 Posts
^^^^. Ok, one question.... did you test the stalk after putting it back together? Doesn’t sound like you if you didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
^^^^. Ok, one question.... did you test the stalk after putting it back together? Doesn’t sound like you if you didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was so laser focused on the turn signal function because that was the reason I rebuilt it that I didn't test the headlight function! That's what I get for doing it on a Thursday night and installing the next morning before work haha. It turns out there are a few different internal knobs that have to be aligned perfectly before you press it back in.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Finally remembered to bring my gopro + c clamp mount to get some video of the suspension movement. I took this one on a forest service road made up of mostly crushed rock pieces so there was plenty of a ton of vibration.

Rear Leaf pack:

Front SPC UCA:

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Stopped by the dealer this morning to pick up a couple skids I ordered for the oil pan and transmission. I don't have the need for heavy duty plates since we don't have much rock in the mountains here but I was a little nervous last weekend when going over some small trees that fell across a trail so I wanted something lightweight just to push branches and other crap down.

My trans was shifting weird lately so I figured it was a little low on fluid thanks to the output seal leak and when I checked it was in the lower end of the 'good' range. I picked up 4 qts of matic-s for a drain/fill, the fluid only has 10k so not bothering with a flush this time.

141 - 156 of 156 Posts