Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

61 - 80 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Prep and paint complete!

Just waiting on a final dry before reinstalling everything. The results so far look great, the before and after pics kind of make me wish I'd done this a long time ago because of ho easy it was.

After washing with Krud Kutter degreaser, scrubbing with green 3M pad, and wiping down with denatured alcohol followed by acetone:

Post paint, just waiting on the dry time which is only 15 minutes!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
Just finished reinstalling everything and I'm really happy with how it turned out. I got some dust on the covers during the reinstallation that made it look blotchy in some of the pics but the paint is really even. Not bad for a rattle can, I didn't have any issues with clogging and the can lasted until the last bit of aerosol was left. I used one can for both of the rear side bumper covers and foot step.

I'm definitely doing the front bumper cover next.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Man, that looks good. Really good.

I was about to ask what the front..... then went back and saw that you are def doing it next, lol!

On my ‘06 I did it opposite, and never got to finish to do the rear. Probably not going to now since I bought the 2010. My front has held up surprisingly well and I used flat black rustoleum over primer.
Gonna do it to the ‘10, rack included.

Can’t wait to see yours all done!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Man, that looks good. Really good.

I was about to ask what the front..... then went back and saw that you are def doing it next, lol!

On my ‘06 I did it opposite, and never got to finish and do the rear. Probably not going to now since I bought the 2010. My front has held up surprisingly well and I used flat black rustoleum over primer.
Gonna do it to the ‘10, rack included.

Can’t wait to see yours all done!
Thanks man! Haha I think we were both thinking the same on that one, don't want to mess up both ends of the truck at once. This was my last ditch effort before just buying new plastics, that stuff has been driving me nut for years. I asked the manufacturer about primer and they told me not needed, just scrub the surface really good with a heavy duty degreaser which surprised me. I think it's supposed to be self etching.

Did you leave the front on when you did yours? I'm thinking I can just leave it on and mask everything else off.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I took off the grill and burger, left the bumper on. Plastidipped the burger just to see how it would look and liked it so I left it alone. It’s a bit glossier against all the matte.

I did about 6 coats total. 2 primer and 3 paint.

You’ll want to do the door strips as well. Bet ya a buck. Lol!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I like that black satin. I'm going to paint my plastics this summer after some mechanical upgrades and have been trying to pick the right paint to do it. Have you tried others? Do you know how it compares?
This was the first one that I tried but I researched it for probably about a year beforehand. I couldn't find many reviews of this stuff except for a few on Amazon and the guy mentioned the can running out of aerosol with the can still half full which makes me think it's old product so I didn't buy there. I've heard good things about another brand called SEM that makes a bumper and trim paint but I think that one needs a primer coat first, I liked the Black Satin stuff because the manufacture told me it only needed a clean/degreased and scuffed surface which made it easy.

The dry time was super fast, I removed the parts, washed them, painted and reinstalled in about 3 hours. They say to do only 2 coats on stuff that doesn't get a lot of wear like doorhandles but I did 3 anyway because that's about how much was left over after the 2 coats were done.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Spent most of the afternoon working on a interior lighting mod that would turn on/off with door/locks open/close. I was convinced I need to use a relay for this and after about 3 hours and 2 blown fuses later I had it working but the relay buzzed loudly every time the door or locks were activated. Then it sort of hit me that I didn't need any of that crap, maybe it was from working inside of a hot truck with the windows up but out of nowhere the thought came to just run two wires, one to the 12v(red wire) and the other to the switched ground(yellow wire). Duh! Tested that setup and saw it worked in about 3 minutes, only downside was I found that all 3 of my led lights I ordered were blue instead of white so with that I'm calling it a day!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
@MartinX was nice enough to mail me a set of front turn signal/sidemarker wiring harnesses to experiment on for my turn signal mod, thanks to those I could figure out the wiring over a few hours on the couch instead of outside in the rain all day so that made things much easier! Basically my goal was to convert the sidemarker to a turn signal without cutting into the factory wiring and splicing it up, I tried a few different ways that didn't pan out before coming across this one.

I found that you can partially disassemble the harnesses and run a small wire through the waterproofing seal alongside the existing wire, remove the wire coating at the end, wrap it around the clip and put a 1/4" piece of shrink tube on it. With that the wire is tapped and you reassemble the harness as it was, in my case I did the turn signal clip and ran it out to the sidemarker (I used a spare sidemarker clip because I had one but you could do the same wire-tap technique on that harness as well. I ran a tap for the ground and the flasher (it's green wire on driver and passenger side) and ran those to the sidemarker.

61 - 80 of 156 Posts
About this Discussion
155 Replies
23 Participants
General_Tarfun
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing