Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, fellow X-ers. I have searched thoroughly through the forums and couldn't really find anything that helped, so I figure I will go ahead and ask my question here. I am considering getting the AC 3" body lift and want to go ahead and get some beefier tires. I already have a set of Pathy wheels that I am acquiring soon and I am going to do the Duplicolor spray-on bedliner mod that Syndicate did. Awesome job, BTW. My question is this: does anyone know anything about the General Grabber AT2s? I know that General is an "economy" tire, but everywhere I look, I am seeing some really good reviews on them. And they are a good price, too. I am also leaning toward the BFG ATs, but if the Generals are an "as-good", if not better, tire, then I will go with them. Just curious...

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Here are a few more budget brands to check out.

kuhmo tire

maxxis tire

What purpose will you use the tire? Daily driving? Off Road?

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be using it for both, although MORE daily driving. And my off-roading is limited, at best. Nothing extreme, just stock-friendly trails. :)

·
on line
807 Posts
IMO the grabbers arent bad, but they are inferior to the BFG A/Ts.... and this is comming from someone who isnt a big fan of BFG to begin with. They would work fine on a DD, but if you plan on wheeling, I would look elsewhere.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
I know a guy who has them on a full size Dodge Ram, and he likes them a lot. Looks like a decent tread to me, especially considering many of the street-mannered AT's that are out there these days. I'm sure they are not as good as the BFG's, but they are, what, $50 a piece cheaper? That is quite a bit to save when you're buying 4 tires. For a weekend warrior and a daily driver, I'm sure they'd be a good tire.

Another consideration... everybody is raving about the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's these days. Never had any personal experience, but the reviews are certainly there to back them up too.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I've read and heard lots of good things about the Revos. They're the #1 satisfaction-rated AT on tirerack, for what that's worth.

But I never see them on the trails. They seem to be mainly a street tire, not so much of a crossover like the BFGs. Anyone know different?

·
on line
32 Posts
I have the grabber ats on my jeep tj, they are great on and of road tires. I had a pair of bfg ats on my old jeep, and i have to say they are very comparable. Plu sthe fact that I can get them at $100 a tire (cdn) that helps a little bit aswell. Overall opinion. I would buy them for the X as weel as a new set for the new jeep I am building up!!!

·
on line
776 Posts
general at2's

IMO, the grabbers are better for one BIG reason, It is no secret that the bfg at's are a great tire, everyone buys them and all that horse poo! But when it comes down to it, it is also no secret that the bfg's are terrible in snow and especially rain! And before you ask- I have experience with both tires, in all conditions, period!!!!! At $50 or more per tire savings, and seeing the bfg's track record in rain and snow, The answer to me is obvious-GO WITH THE GG
AT2's..... you will save $, have a road friendly radial, and have a more aggressive off road tread, all in one set of new shoes! :geek:

·
on line
776 Posts
bfg at's

yup, thats about all that the bfgs are good for, except-it is not your tires burning up, its your wallet!

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Well you must have a hard time driving there mike. Because Ive had my bfg's for a while, and every trip i took out to chardon this past winter they performed great. Heard of chardon? The middle of the snow belt in ohio?! I gerw up there, we got 70 inches of snow last year, i plowed through all of it. So nya nya nya.

·
on line
776 Posts
bfg at's

Not trying to start a heated debate here! Just making it known, for those of us who do not wanna spend that much $, there are just as good if not better tires for lesser $$$. Its all in ones opinion, I guess! Plus I knew I could get a little $#!t stirred, as far as my comments. For further info & comparisson, read the FOUR WHEELER sept. 07 issue (tire tests), you may be surprised in what you uncover!

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Ive got as pile of offroad mags with tire reviews. I was actually going to buy those grabbers, but, i had the extra cash and went with the bfg's from 4 wheel parts. They offer a killer road hazard warrenty. I could litteraly go outside and knife all my tires and get em replaced at no charge. So keep that in mind when you buy as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts