Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I am looking to go with one of these tires.

265/75/R16
Load rating:E
weight:57lbs
cost:$119

or

285/75/R16
Load rating:D
weight:61lbs
cost:$122

I would prefer to stick to the 265's because of the gas mileage, but I have heard bad things about using an E-rated tire. Can anyone shed some light on what i should go with? I just can't justify spending an additional $41 PER tire for BFG AT k/o's.
I only get to wheel about once a month and then it is nothing too technical. Mostly unimproved fire roads and a little mud and smallish rocks. This is my daily driver as well.

·
on line
704 Posts
Dunno dude, you have a shrock bumper listed in teh mods along with some nice audio work.... I take an extra $41 per tire won't be a problem ;)

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vman said:
Dunno dude, you have a Shrockworks bumper listed in teh mods along with some nice audio work.... I take an extra $41 per tire won't be a problem ;)
a year ago that would have been easy! Unfortunately, now I am engaged and paying for a house.

·
on line
191 Posts
IMO thats all the more reason to go with BFG, they last A LONG time. The miles people get out of a set of BFG AT KO's is Legendary.

·
on line
776 Posts
gen grab at 2's

I can tell you from personal experience that the at 2's are just as good if not better than the bfg's!

Let the flaming begin fellas, yer just pissed you spent toooooo much money on BFG's!

Back to my point, The grabbers kick a$$ and take names!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My wifes Honda Pilot (Yeah thats right, a stock Pilot) Made it through a good bit of terrain with out slip, that a stock jeep (wrangler) W/ BFG AT KO's, had problems getting full traction on!

THESIS: Both BFG and Jeeps are highly over rated. Period... (IMO)

So, haters bring the flame I love it! :cheers: And my wifes grocery gettin, soccer momin Pilot whipped yer jeeps arss Lol :cheers:

·
on line
704 Posts
I think that ridge runner is onto something. There quite a few favorable General AT2 reviews on the net and the price is attractive as well. BFG is overpriced. They have to have high prices in order to afford aggressive marketing campaigns. Why pay extra for marketing?

Cooper ST is a decent tire as well. You can find them for ~130. Those are AT tires which a bit more aggressive than BFG AT. I had a chance to compare BFG AT to Cooper ST side by side and I'd definitely get the Coopers. I don't see a reason for getting BFG at all.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Yer all a bunch of cheap whiners! None of us can TRUELY say that one tire is made better than another and back it up with scientific AND real life tests. So waaa waaa waaa.

I do think though, if your not going to wheel much, and if all its going to be is dirt and gravel, DONT SPEND ANY MONEY ON TIRES AT ALL! SAVE IT!

At ecxc this year there was a guy with a slightly lifted Xterra and frigging street tires doing black trails! So dont tell me its the tires! Its the driver!

So dude, i think your wasting your money getting different tires anyways, unless yours are currently shot, dont waste the money on tires you really dont seem to need. Wether you spend 100 bucks a tire, or 150 bucks a tire, you dont seem to need em.

·
on line
191 Posts
I have had BFG's on two trucks and the wear is whats incredible. Miles and miles, very little wear. Never let me down so far.

·
on line
704 Posts
BIGTOM726 said:
I have had BFG's on two trucks and the wear is whats incredible. Miles and miles, very little wear. Never let me down so far.
I don't doubt it. All I am saying is that some companies have a strong image that they need to support through advertisement and marketing campaigns. This turns out into higher prices. BFG is one of these companies just like Coca Cola and other "true" American brands which have become associated with this country (and the West in general) because of their aggressive advertisement that has been going on for many years. There is nothing wrong with it, but you pay higher price.

With this in mind, I highly doubt that my next set of tires will be from BFG. Cooper, Dean, Firestone, General and other companies make tires which are just as nice for a bit cheaper. What I highly doubt is that any of us can feel the noticeable difference between let's say BFG and General AT2.

·
on line
259 Posts
vman said:
BIGTOM726 said:
I don't doubt it. All I am saying is that some companies have a strong image that they need to support through advertisement and marketing campaigns. This turns out into higher prices. BFG is one of these companies just like Coca Cola and other "true" American brands which have become associated with this country (and the West in general) because of their aggressive advertisement that has been going on for many years. There is nothing wrong with it, but you pay higher price.

With this in mind, I highly doubt that my next set of tires will be from BFG. Cooper, Dean, Firestone, General and other companies make tires which are just as nice for a bit cheaper. What I highly doubt is that any of us can feel the noticeable difference between let's say BFG and General AT2.
I know for a fact that the pricing of a certain tire is not necessarily related to the tire quality. BFG are more expensive mostly because of the high demand (and the reputation) they have. Don't get me wrong it is a very good tire but it is priced very high because "everyone loves them".

I would go with the General Grabbers to save ~$160 on a set.

I called around the General dealers in CO and they do not have them in stock and have to ship them from out of state. So the final price was about $150 each. In this case it was the "same" to get BFGs, Nittos, Revos or Yokohama AT-S.

So I actually decided to get Toyo Open Country A/T (for $120 each), but they did not have them in stock. I went to the local tire shop two more times and they couldn't mount the tire that day because they had too much work that day.

Then stopped by Discount Tire to get Nitto Terra Grapplers for $150 a piece.

And they did not have them in stock. They offered me the BFG AT KO load range E for $180 and I asked them I would get those only if they matched the price on the Nittos. And they did. So I ended up getting BFG AT's for just over $700 OTD.

Hera are a couple of pics:

BTW I got 265/75/16.

·
on line
259 Posts
BTW: My original idea for this set of tires was to get BFG M/T in 255/85/16 but I have a long commute on the highway, I didn't want to give up so much milage, I and not so sure the the M/T performing in icy roads and there isn't much mud on CO to begin with. So I did the "more mature thing" and got the 265/75/16 in an A/T.

Here's a couple of pics on my friend's FJ-70 with 255/85/16

·
on line
735 Posts
skinny tires rule, but as far as the E load rated tires..they are heavy, but you will likely never get a flat tire. sidewall is pretty stiff to since they are meant to support the weight of a 3/4 ton diesel truck fully loaded.

I'm thinking about going 10 ply-E rated, but what I will probably do is just use the 285's stacked in my garage since it won't cost me $750.

·
on line
8 Posts
Just to chime in here, 4 Grabber AT2 265/70/17 for 400.00
4 BFG AT 265/70/17 for 680.00, they are 70% more expensive, but are they 70% better tires? Hard to justify.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mcampana said:
Yer all a bunch of cheap whiners! None of us can TRUELY say that one tire is made better than another and back it up with scientific AND real life tests. So waaa waaa waaa.

I do think though, if your not going to wheel much, and if all its going to be is dirt and gravel, DONT SPEND ANY MONEY ON TIRES AT ALL! SAVE IT!

At ecxc this year there was a guy with a slightly lifted Xterra and frigging street tires doing black trails! So dont tell me its the tires! Its the driver!

So dude, i think your wasting your money getting different tires anyways, unless yours are currently shot, dont waste the money on tires you really dont seem to need. Wether you spend 100 bucks a tire, or 150 bucks a tire, you dont seem to need em.
Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately, my tires are extremely shot. We took a road trip up to Green Bay for the Packers-Bears game and drove thru about 150 miles of road construction. During that mess, my alignment got out of wack. I ended up driving about 1200 miles and it destroyed the tread of the stockers.

I don't do anything HARDCORE right now but i am getting into it more and more.

My original question was really about the E load rating. Should i just suck it up and pay for the D load BFG's or go w/ the E load AT2's? Is the ride quality THAT much harsher? They don't make the AT2's in a D load from what i can tell.

·
on line
259 Posts
Deltaphi216 said:
My original question was really about the E load rating. Should i just suck it up and pay for the D load BFG's or go w/ the E load AT2's? Is the ride quality THAT much harsher? They don't make the AT2's in a D load from what i can tell.
JPjr said:
Just to chime in here, 4 Grabber AT2 265/70/17 for 400.00
4 BFG AT 265/70/17 for 680.00, they are 70% more expensive, but are they 70% better tires? Hard to justify.
I have the load range E. I IMHO do not feel the harsh ride I was expecting from a 10 ply tire. There is a difference between the POS BFG RTs 4 ply crap, but I would say its for the best.

Also IMHO BFG's are NOT 70% better or won't last 70% longer or give you 70% more control than the GGAT2 (new acronym :geek: ). If I were been able to find GGAT2's for 30% or less of what I paid for the BFG AT's I would be running GGAT2s today.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Rastaman, that was what i was looking for. i guess i just needed some reassurance.

i will let everyone know how the ride is and how they hold up to wear.

·
on line
259 Posts
Deltaphi216 said:
Thanks Rastaman, that was what i was looking for. i guess i just needed some reassurance.

i will let everyone know how the ride is and how they hold up to wear.
Did you get them? How do they look? Can you post pics?

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As soon as I get them, i will definitely post up plenty 'o' pics!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts