Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching for a gearing upgrade.

Can those of you who have upgraded your gearing post what kind (brand/size) you got and where you got them from.

Im looking at a few sites and dont see any options.

I currently have a M205/M226 combo with 33s and plan to run 35s next.

I have not decided whether I want to run 4.10 or 4.56s yet but that decision may be helped by what is available and for what price.

Id like the opinions of those who have done the upgrade as well as what kind and where you got em.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Please use the search option

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48631

Doitontherocks.com aka Rugged rocks call steve

Also, do you have manual or auto transmission? Are you doing more highway? Or is your x just mainly trail rig? These things need to be taken into consideration. 4.10's usually give better fuel economy but 4.56 is great for crawling

Last time I priced out 4.56 gears it came out to $1200ish that's ring & pinions, rebuild kits, yokes, ect.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, I forgot about Rugged Rocks.

I have an automatic.

The only highway I do is to the trail. I drive it to work when the weather is too bad for the motorcycle. Its only about 5 miles though.

I tend to build for the trail rather than road capability.

Holy Crap thats expensive! I thought Id be paying around that with parts AND labor

·
Registered
698 Posts
No. Tack on around another $1000 to have them installed depending on what the shops around you charge.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I picked up 2mpg with 4.56, over same setup with the stock 3.36. And just got off the phone with pat at level 10 trans ordering a performance rebuild kit. When asking about my setup he asked tire size(33's) and i then followed that up with with i regeared to 4.56's. He said great because that makes it alot easier on the trans with taller tire. And anyone that goes to 35 my opinion youre definitly crazy to not go to 4.56. Ask anyone who has done it and not just people talking about the differances. Think about it, a muscle car on a 28" tire is not uncommon to run 3.90-4.10 on the street all day. I have 3.90's in my lowered suburban running 28" tires and i could really got to 4.10 on it. Now add a 32-33" tire to those gears and youre knocking it down alot. If they made a 4.88 and i went to 35's ide move up. It gives little pedal to move the truck and thats where you get you mileage increases. And when youre cruising you yes are turning higher rpm, but your throttle/engine load is less and there for less fuel required. And if you also have skids, bumper etc with all that weight. Youll want that added torque multiplication. Oh and ask anyone thats wheeled with me and anyone else on 4.56 and theyll tell you it makes wheeling SOOO much easier and less wear and tear because you easily climb up stuff and need very little throttle which as most know its the skinny pedal that mostly breaks crap

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well now Im wondering if the 5.13s are a good option?

Either way, with those prices, I have to start looking for someone knowledgable who will help me install them for beer and pizza :)

Another question: Should I buy a rebuild kit for my front diff even though it only has about 3k miles on it?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Could be the minor install kit and not the overhaul kit too. Get the overhaul kit, it has all the bearings you're going to want to change anyway. Also, get new axle bearings, seals and that damn stop ring thing for the rear. Depending on install you'll also want to try to get new seals and axle bearings for the front M205.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another question.

Im assuming you have to drop the front diff to change the gears. Is that correct?

Also, if you drop the diff, I shouldnt have to worry about realigning it right?

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
I went 4:56s and glad I did but total after everything with misc parts etc your at around 1250 gears and rebuild kits and then 1,000 install plus add around 250 for other things like new bolts rtv etc. I did my own gears with a buddy who is a master mechanic so I saved a lot

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I think Ill go with 4.56.

Now I just have to get the wife to approve my purchase request and try to find someone who will help me install em.

Id rather not pay full price to install em and I would like to be able to learn how to do it. I really just need the "parental supervision" to make sure I dont screw up.

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Well, I think Ill go with 4.56.

Now I just have to get the wife to approve my purchase request and try to find someone who will help me install em.

Id rather not pay full price to install em and I would like to be able to learn how to do it. I really just need the "parental supervision" to make sure I dont screw up.
As far as installing them yourself i say go for it, but only under the assumption you have alot of time to do this. For a first time id give yourself plenty of time, at least 2 days. Not that this is needed, but iv e been around alot of gear changes and its an art and its a science that is perfected with time. If you have improper backlash or pinion depth you'll wear the gears to fast etc.

Id read this and see if its truly something you want to do on your own-
http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup

·
Registered
19 Posts
I picked up 2mpg with 4.56, over same setup with the stock 3.36. .... It gives little pedal to move the truck and thats where you get you mileage increases. And when youre cruising you yes are turning higher rpm, but your throttle/engine load is less and there for less fuel required.
Are you saying you get BETTER gas mileage going from 3.36 on 33" tires to 4.56 on 33" tires?

Can you give an estimate of the increase in RPM at highway speeds from 3.36 to 4.56? On flat highway at 70mph on my 33" tires I'm usually at 2,000 RPM in 6th gear (6MT).

Also, (a question I should really know the answer to) I have a 2006 4x4 6MT S. What is stock gearing on that?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts