Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 with the titan swap up front. M205 with 336 gears. M226 with elocker in the rear as well. Currently running 33' tires. Looking to go to 35' tires. What ratio should I upgrade to? 410 or 456?

·
TNX Veteran
3,992 Posts
I have auto, 4.10's, and 35" tires. It's perfect. I live in WA and drive over the Cascades (about a 2000 foot climb) nearly every time I use my X. Plenty of juice to get through that in 4th gear without skipping to 3rd every 5 seconds.

In the winter, I run 33" winter tires. That is about equivalent to what I would see if I had auto with 4.56 gears. IMO the gearing is a little too much. I'm cruising at highway speeds in the high 2000's RPM. 4.10 is better balanced. Now I don't know where you are - if you are in CO, you may find that at 10k+ feet your experience may differ. The mountains here in WA, even though the climb is similar, are overall at a much lower elevation.

Keep in mind, 4.10 with 35" is still a better overral ratio than the stock 3.36 with 32" tires. You will feel a very noticeable difference no matter which you choose :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good info already presented, but I figured I'd chime in for the manual crowd. I installed 4.10s in my 6 speed thinking I was going to stay on 33s. They were awesome with 33s. Now that I'm on 35s I'm kicking myself for not installing 4.56. In my opinion, 4.56 is the best way to rock a 6 speed and 35s.

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Xterra X Automatic
43 Posts
In the winter, I run 33" winter tires. That is about equivalent to what I would see if I had auto with 4.56 gears. IMO the gearing is a little too much. I'm cruising at highway speeds in the high 2000's RPM. 4.10 is better balanced. Now I don't know where you are - if you are in CO, you may find that at 10k+ feet your experience may differ. The mountains here in WA, even though the climb is similar, are overall at a much lower elevation.

Keep in mind, 4.10 with 35" is still a better overral ratio than the stock 3.36 with 32" tires. You will feel a very noticeable difference no matter which you choose :)
THIS is why I want to swap my C200 for a M226+ 😁 🍺

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I went with 4.10s for running a lighter 35" tire but there are also plenty of guys who have an auto and went 4.56 and would never look back. Like albatross said circumstances and preference differ.

I love my 4.10s and will stick with them but there is the every now and then thought of what the 4.56s would have been like. I don't think you can go wrong either way as either one would improve the all around capability of your rig.

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Xterra X Automatic
43 Posts
I love my 4.10s and will stick with them but there is the every now and then thought of what the 4.56s would have been like.
I feel that. I often wonder what the redhead down the street would have been like. :unsure:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts