Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
on line
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of gas do you guys use on your x? i for one only use shell premium wondering what everyone else feeds their X :bounce:

·
on line
432 Posts
First choice is Chevron, second choice being BP. Read several places they use fewer additives, and both companies seem to be decent. Always 87/89.

Who really knows though right?

- Russell

·
on line
1,054 Posts
i run 87/89

i noticed when i run 91+ i always get some mild engine pinging, i know others have had this come up before.

·
on line
245 Posts
i use chevron's regular gas, only because chevron is the most convenient to my home. since regular recommended i feel like that is the best choice. as you go up in octane, the less pure the form of gasoline is, so IMO i think it is recommended for a reason.

·
on line
2,125 Posts
i also use shell. but not the 93. i use the 89. i noticed that when i use 89 at any other gas station i get a wierd sulfur smell that comes out of the exhaust, along with pinging. with shell 89 though, i get none of these.

·
on line
34 Posts
I've been using Shell pretty regularly in our vehicles for awhile now with favorable results. I used 89 in my 02 maxima and after some time notice my mpg got a little better, and if i put in some of the cheaper gas stations 89 it wouldnt run as well. I traded my Maxima in when we bought our X, but i plan on continuing using shell (prolly 87 though) if i can help it. So I am interested to see if i get similar results in the X. I have heard bad things about BP gas. Heard that it is the worse kind of gas to put in your vehicle because of the type of additives they put in their gasoline. I dont know if anyone else has heard that or not.

·
on line
255 Posts
Also use 87. Supposedly at high altitude(we live at 6,000 ft) you can use 85 which is sold at a lot of stations around here. However, with our first X, and our Jeeps we got some pinging. No issues when using 87, so the new X was filled with it from the start. Use Sinclair(refined in Sinclair, WY and owned by a Utah company) or Pilot(truck stop) gas. They are the cheapest around here.

·
on line
704 Posts
Well, the cheapest 87 around my house is 3.47, so I stick to that. Nissan recommends 87. Modern engines are well designed and there is no really need to use premium Shell stuff unless this is your last car ever. Even if it is, with proper car it will probably outlast you.

·
on line
279 Posts
Wow...bit of a strange mentality around these parts, eh? Some of us will wax poetic about how we only use full-synthetic ultra-premium fluids and filters, and then fill up with the cheapest gas we can find. WTF?? Gasoline can vary wildly in the quality of refinement and additive packages. Yes, I know filling up is expensive, but think about this: You've drained your tank empty and end up going to a mom-n-pop with who-knows gas quality because it's ten cents cheaper a gallon. If you had gone to your local top-tier gas station, filling up with 20 gallons would only cost you two dollars more! When you're already talking about $50+, what does two dollars really matter for the peace of mind?

Only top-tier gas for me. It's a no-brainer.

·
on line
145 Posts
There's some strange answers here. Higher octane gas pings less. Interestingly the handbook uses a different measurement for the octane (not RON) that the pumps are labelled with.

Mine gets the cheapest 97, usually from Wal-Mart as that's cheapest around here. I haven't ever heard this Xterra ping yet. My '00 used to occasionally under load.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts