Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help!?

My 2005 Xterra Offroad is in because the "check engine soon" or whatever it is light was on. They told me the gas vent (in the gas tank) was the problem. Replaced that. I drove it 6 miles to get home and the light came back on.
This time they say it's the evaporative canister that is part of the exhaust system.

They say both were filled with dust. For the gas vent, the technicians says at about 30 mph the vent opens to allow air in or out. I assume it's getting full of dust from offroading.

The canister (I don't have my parts/service book here!) is part of the emissions (I think he said). The technician said the whole line is filled with dust. He's trying to clean it out. He's researched it with Nissan engineering and said no one has ever heard of this problem before. I KNOW people actually take these vehicles off road and in dusty areas...

Anyone have any insight? Anything I can do to prevent it.

I've had the truck for 4 years and take it in pretty dusty environments (Death Valley, etc) 6+ times a year. The guy who had it before me said he didn't do that much with it, only a few off road trips (he could be fibbing). This is a pretty expensive endeavor to do every 4 years...

·
Registered
810 Posts
Help!?

My 2005 Xterra Offroad is in because the "check engine soon" or whatever it is light was on. They told me the gas vent (in the gas tank) was the problem. Replaced that. I drove it 6 miles to get home and the light came back on.
This time they say it's the evaporative canister that is part of the exhaust system.

They say both were filled with dust. For the gas vent, the technicians says at about 30 mph the vent opens to allow air in or out. I assume it's getting full of dust from offroading.

The canister (I don't have my parts/service book here!) is part of the exhaust (I think he said). The technician said the whole line is filled with dust. He's trying to clean it out. He's researched it with Nissan engineering and said no one has ever heard of this problem before. I KNOW people actually take these vehicles off road and in dusty areas...

Anyone have any insight? Anything I can do to prevent it.

I've had the truck for 4 years and take it in pretty dusty environments (Death Valley, etc) 6+ times a year. The guy who had it before me said he didn't do that much with it, only a few off road trips (he could be fibbing). This is a pretty expensive endeavor to do every 4 years...

Have you tried just removing your gas cap and then putting it back on with three or more clicks?

·
Registered
147 Posts
A couple guys out here have had good luck with blowing the dust out of them, but then there was one that had to replace the EVAP canister and everything is fine now.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Have you tried just removing your gas cap and then putting it back on with three or more clicks?
Yes, many times. Knew that trick already.

The technician said he was having a hard time getting all the dirt out. I saw the parts. They are full of desert dust, for sure. The tech said he's never seen dirt in the system like this. I wonder how many people in Los Angeles actually go off road. :)

He replaced the canister. Guess I'll see how long this one lasts since i'll know how much offroading is on it.
The technician wants to drive it a little more to make sure it doesn't complain again.

Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
4,593 Posts
said no one has ever heard of this problem before.
Ahahahahahhaaahaha ... *clunk*.
That's funny right there.

Send him to this forum.
I've lost count of the number of people here that have had EVAP issues.

While I've never taken it to the dealer for inspection ... I have had the code pop up after doing a car wash more than once. Must have sprayed under the left rear wheel well too much. Any way, once it dries the code clears.

I can't recall the code popping up after a particular dusty trip though, and I've been on a few.

I have had it code when the cap wasn't torqued all the way down as well.

Mine must be full of dust in the summer, and snowmelt / rain in the winter.
Mud spring and fall :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried looking in the forums here, but I think I wasn't searching for the right terms.

Chris - Good idea! I need to get one of those code reader things, too. I had tried the gas cap just as a random, this sometimes fixes that sort of thing attempt. I took it to Nissan sort of in desperation. I don't know of a good mechanic around here, which is something else I was going to look for here. I have a friend who's a mechanic in a small shop. I might try him. I know he won't have parts on hand and such, so I may need a rental or to ride my bike for a few days.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I see that nobody mentioned it yet. But there is a service bulletin for this issue. Nissan sells a kit with some extra hose and sort of a pre filter. I cleaned out my evap canister with compressed air (they are not cheap, descriptions on the forum) and added the stuff from the service bulletin. Issue has nr come back for over a year

I'll look for the bulletin nr when I get home

Bas

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
1,416 Posts
The TSB is attached in this thread, http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showpost.php?p=941552&postcount=8.

I've had the same problem even with the so called filter. The hose to the filter, the filter, hose to the valve, and valve had dust in them. I cleaned everything out and removed the hose that connects the opening in the frame and the filter. Then added a longer hose with a separate filter, the old style valve cover crankcase ventilation type, mounted higher up. It's a washable K&N type cloth mesh filter. If you're interested I can get the part number and take some pictures.

Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts