Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an '07 X with a tad bit over 14,xxx miles :albino: on it(seems like it was just yesterday when i drove it off the lot with 12 miles :cheers: on it) anyway my question is, is it too early to start using gas treatment additive? i prefer using lucas products if that makes any difference. thanks for any input............

·
on line
735 Posts
I like the redline gas treatment. It isn't solvent based. Second would be the chevron techron in the black bottle.

·
on line
166 Posts
I do an old racers trick to clean the car out. 100 Unleaded Octane burns very hot, hot enough to clean out the fuel system. About once every 3 months when gasoline is light, i'll throw 2-3 gallons of high octane in it.

·
on line
32 Posts
I use Berrymans B-12 chemtool gas additive about every 3rd tank. Ive never had problems.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
I'm sure there's new stuff out there; ie Techron.. But I've never had a problem w/ the Marvel Mystery stuff, mostly in imports.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I use the chevron stuff in the black bottle... I think this topic was raised about a year ago and someone said something about it..... I guess that is why i use it.

Once every 3000 miles.

·
on line
704 Posts
Wiggum said:
I do an old racers trick to clean the car out. 100 Unleaded Octane burns very hot, hot enough to clean out the fuel system. About once every 3 months when gasoline is light, i'll throw 2-3 gallons of high octane in it.
Where do you get 100 octane?

·
on line
735 Posts
You COULD buy 100 ll aviation fuel, but it is leaded (or has a lead substitute) and will hurt your catalyst. It is a cheap way to fuel supercharged hotrods by mixing with pump gas, but the whole idea of cleaning your engine with 100 octane does not make any sense from a technical standpoint- sounds like a bench racing wives tale. "it burns so hot-hot enough to clean out your fuel system"- it burns in the combustion chamber, not the fuel system...
secondly, these days municipal airports have fences around them post 911, so just driving up to a plane pump and swiping your card isn't so easy anymore.

Redline fuel additive is good- not solvent based so it won't release all the crap in your tank all at once to wreak havoc with your fuel system.

·
on line
142 Posts
Inconsistantly varying the octane of fuel you use is not good for your vehicle in the long run. As a rule of thumb, it is ok to go up in octane, but after that do not go back down to the cheaper stuff. It can lead to engine and fuel system nuisances, and eventually problems. And I do not believe that additives are necessary unless you are at a major service interval or there is a problem.

·
on line
807 Posts
thaddawg said:
Inconsistantly varying the octane of fuel you use is not good for your vehicle in the long run. As a rule of thumb, it is ok to go up in octane, but after that do not go back down to the cheaper stuff. It can lead to engine and fuel system nuisances, and eventually problems. And I do not believe that additives are necessary unless you are at a major service interval or there is a problem.
I would agree with that last statement. Why are so many people using fuel additives? They shouldn't be needed in these trucks.
I used SeaFoam at 30k miles, but don't plan on using it again until about 60k miles, regularly using additives just seem like a waste of money.

·
on line
279 Posts
stevet47 said:
I would agree with that last statement. Why are so many people using fuel additives? They shouldn't be needed in these trucks.
My thoughts exactly every time one of these threads pops up. Applying a pound of cure to a problem that doesn't even exist, especially when using modern gasolines.

In fact, at the "recommended" treatment every 3k miles, I'd put my money on these things doing more harm than good. No matter how you slice it, concentrated solvents and hydrocarbon based lubricants - or even esther-based synthetics (like engine oil) don't play well together. I can only imagine how fast a concentrated dose of synthesized solvent destroys an oil's properties, even in the tiny amounts that gets past the rings. Not to mention the petroleum-based parts of the fuel system like O-rings, etc.

But, you guys knock yourself out. :blackeye:

·
on line
652 Posts
save your cash on the stp, chevron, super cleaner stuff

Almost every manu. uses a product called BG44K to service fuel systems most dealers sell it and it is about 12 bucks.
When a dealer does an upper intake flush or fuel inj. service this is what they use
Bmw Mercedes, Volvo ford Gm Volkswagon porsche use this stuff for a reason it works

I will say i have heard good things about the seafoam
but when i spend my cash i want results

·
on line
1,716 Posts
rckev said:

Almost every manu. uses a product called BG44K...
I just ran some of that through my wifes car today at the advice of a mechanic friend of mine. After about 35 miles the idle smoothed out and the throttle response was much crisper. I'll be running a bottle through my X at the next fill up.

·
on line
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lonesome Crow said:
rckev said:

I just ran some of that through my wifes car today at the advice of a mechanic friend of mine. After about 35 miles the idle smoothed out and the throttle response was much crisper. I'll be running a bottle through my X at the next fill up.
Jerry, can you buy the BG44K locally? where? thanks, pat.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
lowhombre said:
Lonesome Crow said:
rckev said:

Hey Pat, I got it straight from the BG rep, but I heard that you can get it from:
Sports Haus Inc.
9732 S. Virginia Street
Reno NV US 89511
I'll try to get a hold of my friend and get the number of the BG rep. for you.

·
on line
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lonesome Crow said:
lowhombre said:
Lonesome Crow said:
rckev said:

Hey Pat, I got it straight from the BG rep, but I heard that you can get it from:
Sports Haus Inc.
9732 S. Virginia Street
Reno NV US 89511
I'll try to get a hold of my friend and get the number of the BG rep. for you.
that would be awesome...thanks.......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts