Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on line
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my gas tank skid on myself this saturday. I have no photos so deal with it. Anyways, do yourself a favor, the two brackets that come with the skid......PUT THEM ON FIRST, THEN RAIS IT UP INTO PLACE! The directions say not to do this, but trust me, you can, and it will save a shit load of aggrevation. Us larger armed folks cant twist and squeeze into places. Thats my tip of the day.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I think I mentioned this in MC's how-to. That is how I did it by my self and it worked great.

Now what was your secret to lining up the engine and diff skid? I had a hell of a time with the row of bolts where the two skids overlap.

·
on line
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the engine skid just came in the mail today........so its getting painted tonight and tomorrow and ill end up putting it on when i get my front bumper this week.......? Right Jim? I never read the skid instal thread........i didnt think it was going to be very hard.....

So we will see about the fit then. And another note. REMOVE YOUR SPARE TIRE. There is so much darn room under our trucks when that spare is on the rear bumper instead. I have no fricking idea how i would remove that spare from under the car on the side of the road in an ohio snow storm, or any time of year for that matter. I ended up flat on my back using my knees and arms to get it out of that lowering device.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I had my spare down a couple times before it was moved to the back and never had a problem. There was usually enough slack that the tire would lay on the ground and you reach under and and un-do it.

As for the amount of room, yeah, I think there is more space under than than in my living room. I can actually sit on the ground under the back of the X. That space will be taken up with an air tank here real soon...hopefully by Friday.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts