Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't flame me on this one, I know our 4000 lb box of a truck is not going to get 30 mpg. I'm looking to squeeze whatever extra mpg I can out of my truck as I just started a new job with a 120 mile a day commute. What would help me get a little extra mpg? Air intake? Exhaust? Any tricks out there?

Thanks,
Shaun

·
on line
1,667 Posts
both of those will help out. just keep the tires properly inflated and stay away from those aggressive/better looking ones. also, the more weight, the more gas you will use.

i went from the stock tires to 285/75 mud tires and took a loss of 5 mpg!

·
on line
564 Posts
What they said plus keep your max speed at 55mph, then you'll get 25mpg. I've gotten 25-26mpg before, driving mostly on the highway keeping my max speed around 60mph.

Rob

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Great advice, to add to it ---

--1)-Cruise control at 60/65, whichever your traffic will support, in the SLOW LANE--
--2)Inflate tires to MAX allowed--
--3)Stay in middle lanes when approaching ON RAMPS, so you won't have to brake, for incoming, (sounds military)--
--4)don't gas on hills, let cruise control (slowly) take you up
--5) with auto, use OD, with stick use 6th gear 90% of time, but don't lug engine--
6) try to keep your gas tank above 1/2 tank, (tough) to cut down on vapors causing false pump readings--
--7) drive like the old men, you always cuss at --(ME)

-- :geek: :geek: -good luck--JIMBO

--P,S. this is how I got 21 mpg towing my trailer back from Eugene , Oregon !!

·
on line
564 Posts
JIMBO said:
...this is how I got 21 mpg towing my trailer back from Eugene , Oregon !!

Of course those prevailing NM winds help a bit too :toothy8:

Rob

·
on line
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I may have shot my mileage in the foot by putting Nitto Terra Grapplers on last fall. I lost about 3 mpg vs the stock rubber. Guess I should do the math and see if it is worth while to invest in another set of tires.

Most of my driving is on county roads with minimal stops and traffic, mostly paved but some dirt. I have been keeping it around 60 mph and try to drive as smooth as possible but I'm only getting about 19 mpg.

Any idea how much mpg is to be had with intake and or exhaust?

·
on line
564 Posts
If you do a search, you'll find a bunch of information on aftermarket intakes and exhausts.

I think overall you will find that the increase in fuel economy is minimal at best.

Rob

·
on line
735 Posts
I might suggest a $600 sh1tbox and a liability policy (you might get a sweet multi-car discount which basically makes the liability coverage free). look for 1.5 or 1.6 liter imports. mitsus and kia's should be give away cars.

my past 3 crap mobiles only cost $17 a month to insure.

I never change the oil filter unless I can find one for free or if I know somebody took one off real early and just reuse the sucker. for tune up parts, go to the junkyard. A lot of shops sell air filters and plugs to people with bad motors that won't pass emissions. I'm serious.. I kept a mistsubishi running for a year and a half on a $60 mechanical budget.

leave a quarter and a roll of tape in the glovebox.

·
on line
750 Posts
I'm kind of reluctant to sell my old 96 Nissan pu just for this reason...gets 23-26mpg around town while the new X gets an atrocious 11mpg(lots of stop n go)

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Liikewise, like I've said, I don't drive my X around town--

--I've got a 2001 Ford RANGER pick-up, for HAULING and a 2002, TOYOTA CAMRY for driving around town (25mpg+++)

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
366 Posts
One thing I've noticed, if I cruise around ~80mph on the freeway, it eats gas like a mofo. 70mph and below gives me noticeably better gas mileage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts