Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend, drove 253.4 miles on 11.185 gallons....
Mostly highway probably 85/15%

22.7 mpg....

was cruising 65-70 the whole way.. not too bad i'd say...

:)

·
on line
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
btw, I have the 4x4 model with all the goodies........

I must say this mileage pleasantly surprised me.. the best yet.... I have gotten 21 a couple times........ But never almost 23... Maybe it's the 2 coats of wax I put on it before the trip???

·
on line
31 Posts
Bird turds really ramp up that drag coefficent don't they?

I must still be addicted to foreign oil, since I haven't tracked my MPG too closely. (Addict's denial) But, 23 sounds pretty good to me for trip average. I get that driving 80-100 in the old Carrera, but probably would be hard pressed to get it in the X so far.

Now, if the guvment can do something about my addiction to toys that use foreign oil..........(More addict's denial)

PS what tires do you have?

·
on line
564 Posts
How about 25mpg!

Yeah, I was amazed recently when I did a round trip to Oakhurst, a total of 155 miles on a quarter of a tank...that's 25 mpg. The speed limit is 55-65 so I was only hiting 70 max.

Rob

·
on line
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the std tires for the s version. not sure but they are on alloys. I will take a look later and post.... I have all stock.....

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I wonder what the optimal speed or rpm's and gear ratio is.

For those with MT, for instance on flat ground is 55mph in 5th better or 65mph in 6th? I know once I get over 60mph and I am in 5th I am probably not being efficient.

Then again if I wanted efficiency, I would have bought a Prius.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
What I don't understand is how you people get over 20 much less 22MPG. I have tried numerous driving methods to try to squeeze more miles out of each gallon. The best I can ever do is ~18.3 MPG. Even on long drives in excess of 400 freeway miles, low 18's is the best I can get.

·
on line
4,919 Posts
xterrock said:
What I don't understand is how you people get over 20 much less 22MPG. I have tried numerous driving methods to try to squeeze more miles out of each gallon. The best I can ever do is ~18.3 MPG. Even on long drives in excess of 400 freeway miles, low 18's is the best I can get.
I'm getting around 19.5 now at my best, but I average around 16, due to traffic. It is mostly in the driving style, as I tend to accelerate quickly from stops and stay between 75 and 80 on the highway. Then again, gas milage wasn't why I bought my X either, that's what motorcycles are for. :geek:

·
on line
1,792 Posts
lostboy said:

For those with MT, for instance on flat ground is 55mph in 5th better or 65mph in 6th? I know once I get over 60mph and I am in 5th I am probably not being efficient.

Then again if I wanted efficiency, I would have bought a Prius.
Although, there's nothing wrong with efficiency when you're just cruising.

I bet that even at 50 mph or so, 6th is the way to go if you're running flat out, say behind a truck doing 50 on a long road in Illinois! I mean even at only 50, it's not like you're lugging the engine; the X is designed to work efficiently at low revs.

Another question: is 55 in 6th better than 65 in 6th? I'd say, yes. The way you put it, I'd guess and say it's a toss-up, since 55 is a tiny bit too high for maximum fuel efficiency in 5th it might about tie with 65 in 6th.

My vote for the best gas mileage at higher speeds: low 50s in 6th.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I tinkered with driving style on my last tank, drove probably 50% more conservative. A little slower accelerations, only hitting 70 on the highway not 80. I got 280miles out of 14.1 gallons which is 19.9. Not my best mpg (22) but also due to variations on how much gas I could have put in the tank each time not bad. I am now driving ultra conservative over the next tank to see how much more that gains me.

I better get like 25mpg to make it worth while because driving like a grandpa isn't any fun.

·
on line
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
there is a huge difference in mileage from driving like grandpa on the interstate (60-65) to driving like Mario A (80). The speed limit around here is 70 mostly. The diff for my truck about 4-5 mpg. I got my almost 23 while driving mainly interstate but I did have some around town, like 15% or so..... Around town, I didn't race it, just nice smooth starts. I did wind it out maybe once or twice. On the interstate, I kept it on cruise at 65 1/2 way and 70 the other other 1/2. I can probably get 24 if I really wanted to, but I'd be getting passed and lots of bird flippages .......going 55. I feel going that slow, people wonder "is that nissan that slow??" every once in a while this last trip I did "show the trucks true colors" by passing people that just passed me.... easily...

:)

·
on line
1,479 Posts
here is some useful info on fuel economy Linky

·
on line
1,361 Posts
So I drove 180 miles on 9 gallons. top speed was 70, I would say i drove 65 most of the time. I had the AC on 70% of the time I was driving. I made sure not to start quickly or power brake and tried to stay rolling as much as possible. I also never went slower than the speed limit except on take offs. So I guess 20mpg isn't too bad and I didn't sacrfice to much to get there.

·
on line
618 Posts
lostboy said:

For those with MT, for instance on flat ground is 55mph in 5th better or 65mph in 6th?
Top gear around 45mph nets the best mileage numbers for most vehicles. It is a balance between getting the most speed per RPM and finding a speed at which the power requirements are low enough that they can be met near idle speed. Its also the sweet spot where aerodynamic resistance starts becoming the driving factor in fuel economy. Above that, a doubling in speed requires a square of the power.

The short answer is that 55mph in 6th gives the better economy than the two scenarios you listed. In fact if you shift to 6th for steady cruising above 40mph, you will see better mileage that waiting until 55mph.

-Old Army

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i drove to FL and back the other day, gas mileage for one leg of the trip was easily 24 mpg....averaging 75 mph

i also found out hess gas sucks....16 mpg on their gas, same type of driving and speeds as above

now on the way back we were moving a little faster....haven't calculated mpg yet, but i think we averaged around 18 most of the trip back

edit....calculated the trip back...averaged 15 mpg....i let my sister drive back, she has a heavy foot, lol..

·
on line
258 Posts
I've always found driving style and habits to affect your mileage by +/-15% from the norm. And of course the higher your average mileage is the more you notice it. We have a '07 Sentra that can get anywhere from 27-36mpg on the highway.

No one has mentioned it yet, but you've got to take into consideration the train on your engine due to terrain variations. On the way back from a ski trip early last year I had a (partial) tank of gas get me from Espanola, NM (north of Santa Fe) to Amarillo, TX with 26mpg averaging 70-75mph. Of course that was with my X loaded down with 5 people, 3 boards strapped on top, the back full of stuff, and losing elevation the whole way.
As an aside, on that stretch of trip going up to the mountains the X got 9mpg, due to all the afore mentioned variables with a hellacious headwind and a friend that acted like he was in the movie Speed with an X at 80mph.

All that being said, on a normal tank for me (80%hwy/20 city, 65mph hwy with reasonable acceleration) I consistently average 20-20.5mpg.

·
on line
2,868 Posts
23.935 mpg today!!!

Since the recent spike in gas prices, I've really been trying to watch the take-offs, using cruise control, keeping it at the speed limit - just to see. 70mph on the freeway, and about 60mph on the 2-lane highways around here. Changed to pure synthetic engine oil at 6000 miles (now I just rolled over 8000). Last tank I got 22.7, this tank was 23.935 (394.5 miles on 16.482 gal). That was about 95% highway. 2007 Xterra 4x2.

Changing my driving style to "grandpa" seems to have added a couple of mpg.

I wonder if summer blends of fuel has something to do with it? This is low-grade Sam's wholesale gas.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts