Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I replaced my gas cap with the Stant locking gas cap before I left for the desert so that my wife and I have some piece of mind while I'm gone and she is in CA while I'm out here. The freaking SES lights keeps coming on, and doesn't go away. Well after haggling with the dealers out there in SoCal she was able to get them to scan it and clear the light, of course the Evap code came up. I had the TSB on the taken care of before I left. Now the CA dealer won't work on it, even though it was the Nissan dealer back in NC that "fixed" the problem, just because I have the Stant locking gas cap on it, they said becuase it is an after market and not approved for Nissans. When my wife told me this, I just about blew my top. So yeah, now the dealer won't work on this problem just becuase my gas cap is not the OEM one. No I have to spend $30 on a freaking OEM gas cap, just for them to fix what the dealer in NC supposedly fixed.

:rant:

I HATE DEALERSHIPS!!!!!

:angryfire:

·
on line
628 Posts
When I had mine at the dealer for the Fuel Sending Unit being bad awhile back, they warned me about having the Stant cap, and that if the code came up for EVAP, I would be paying out of pocket. Service Guy tried to talk me into putting my stock cap back on by saying that no one can steal gas because of the way the filler neck is designed. Of course, that's not even the reason I am using the locking cap, apparently he doesn't live in a neighborhood with bored mischievous children and teens.

·
on line
113 Posts
If you have the receipt for the stant, go back to where you bought it and see if they will exchange it for another. Ive read on here that people have had problems with the locking caps and had to try a few different ones to get their vehicles to stop throwing codes. If where you bought it from gives you flack, try calling Stant. I believe I also read here that someone had success dealing with them direct.

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I'm having my wife call the place I got it at, Courtesy Nissan, and have them send another one, if that doesn't work she is going to call Stant and get one from their. It just sucks a lot.

·
on line
807 Posts
Nissan sells that Stant cap, so I don't know how they can say its not "approved" by Nissan. I've had my Stant cap on since the summer without a single issue.

I know you are/were traveling, but if you have a mailing address for where you are, I'll send you my stock cap. PM me.

·
on line
102 Posts
I just got a Stant locking cap, and it doesn't stay on my X. I screw it on, and can turn it, but it just pulls right off without even having to be untwisted. What's the story? Am I doing something wrong?

·
on line
117 Posts
Just for future info, you can go to Autozone and they will read the code and even reset it for free. My check engine light is on also and I have a stock cap. I think I'll be replacing the fuel level sending unit when the weather warms up.

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I posted my issue with Autozone in another thread on here, they didn't want to scan my X when my wife went there. That's a whole other rant session for me.

·
on line
102 Posts
Got the gas cap working, just had to really lean into it to tighten it on. Not throwing a SES light, which is nice.

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well hopefully I can get this taken care off, thanks to stevet47 for sending me his OEM gas cap, I should be able to get the dealer to take care of the the work they should'ave completed back in NC back in Dec.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts