Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Any tips or tricks on how to get the alignment in the ballpark of drivable after a T-swap? Just finished putting the front suspension together and the X is sitting on its wheels! Took it for a short drive around the block and it is barely drivable, definitely not drivable enough to get into traffic to go to an alignment shop.
I’m probably going to spend all day tomorrow watching videos and reading about DYI alignments, but just want to check if there are any tips specific to T-swapped Xterra here from the many that have done the swap. Thanks. Cheers!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention...

I have Titan SPC UCAs, Titan inner and outer tie rods, and camber bolts on the LCAs.
Thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
found this. will give it a shot tomorrow and see how it goes.

·
TNX Veteran
4,158 Posts
found this. will give it a shot tomorrow and see how it goes.

;)

You can adjust the cams at home before you go to the shop, and then just tell them "don't touch the cam bolts". Might be easier than trying to explain. Usually when I go to the alignment shop I tell them "i want 4-5 caster" because I like how it drives way better.

You should be able to eyeball it close enough to drive the shop. It's a game for me. I can usually get all but 1 spec in alignment by eyeballing alone lol

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Right on. I read your post on this, that’s how I got to the the BRUTAL alignment. After reading your post and these instructions like 37 times I feel like I can give the ‘ayeball’ alignment a shot...this stuff is confusing to me 😅. I’m game to install lockers/gears, take an engine a part, but alignment makes my brain warp for some reason haha. Thanks for all your posts on this!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I throw a magnetic level on the rotor and adjust my camber and caster equally then eye ball toe hood enough to drive stable worked late three times I tore stuff apart and had to take it in. Level got me in the green but need slight adjustment to 0

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Huh, will give magnetic level a shot. Good call.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I have had good results with DIY alignment and I'm not all that mechanically inclined. If you feel comfortable with gears and engine work you can definitely do this, at least close enough to get it on the road.

I use string and some jack stands for toe in, and a level for camber. You want the wheels mounted and on a very flat, level surface. Park with the front tires on layers of garbage bags sandwiched between some cardstock, or you can use thin metal plates with some grease in between them to allow the front wheels to be adjusted with minimal friction.

There's some pretty good how to's on youtube. None of these videos are titan swap specific, or even Xterra specific, but the concepts of aligning the front end are pretty universal.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the video links. I actually watched the second one last night. I'll check the other two out after work. Definitely feeling more confident about doing this in my garage. Thank you all for your input.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

so after giving the ayeball alignment a shot the X drove well enough to take to a shop. Took it to the same shop the Nisstec guys take their trucks. The tech said he was very familiar with Titan Swaps since Nisstec brings trucks in multiple times a month according to the tech.

These are the alignment numbers he ended up with. The caster is obviously out of spec, but these are the specs for a factory suspension Xterra. These are the settings he recommended though. I have to say, the truck drives great. Steering feels firm with a good response at highway speed and tracks straight. Just curious if you guys have seen these high numbers for caster used before.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Update

so after giving the ayeball alignment a shot the X drove well enough to take to a shop. Took it to the same shop the Nisstec guys take their trucks. The tech said he was very familiar with Titan Swaps since Nisstec brings trucks in multiple times a month according to the tech.

These are the alignment numbers he ended up with. The caster is obviously out of spec, but these are the specs for a factory suspension Xterra. These are the settings he recommended though. I have to say, the truck drives great. Steering feels firm with a good response at highway speed and tracks straight. Just curious if you guys have seen these high numbers for caster used before.

View attachment 132536
I don't have a print-out of mine but the tech showed me the computer, my caster is well over 5 degrees.

Drives perfect, I personally like the quick - heavy snap back to center.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Update

View attachment 132536
Yeah, two days ago in this thread ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, two days ago in this thread ;)

Lol somehow I missed or forgot that part. Sweet, that was easy!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And here are the post swap mandatory pictures. Sitting at about 3.5 inches of lift in the front and closer to 4 in the rear. Trying to keep it as low as possible, but still allow as much articulation as possible. It needs to fit in the garage! I have about 1/8” of clearance.

the amount of down travel is unreal when comparing it to the barely 2 inches I used to get with my old setup. I haven’t measured it, but it looks like a lot more than 2” 😀

cheers guys, thanks for the help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts