Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I am in the process of buying a Xterra. I am not new to the Nissan family I have had several nissans in the past. I have it narrowed down to two models one used and one new. The first one is a 2011 used pro4x with 20,000 miles on it black 6 speed. The second is a New 2013 Xterra S black 6 speed 4x4. The pro4x is priced in the 24s and the new S is priced at 25,600. There both very good prices and are right in my budget however the pro4x is not in the best shape. The seats have some pretty good stains in them, the exterior has several dents and a lot of scratches on the paint. The interior is pretty rough. Also the tires on the pro will need to be replaced very soon as they are weather cracked. 90% of my driving will be on road so I am leaning towards the S however any insight would be helpful thanks.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
the pro 4x is great, but in this case and price difference, i would go new. warranty and knowing your butt was the first one in the seat. sounds like the 11 had a hard life.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will inspect it very well that's what has turned me away from the 2011 was my brief visual inspection which didn't go well. Its funny you mention quality because there is a white 2013 pro4x on the lot that had the largest ugliest sag in the paint on the passenger side rocker panel I have ever seen. I know they spray chip guard on the rockers (which never helped on my titan) but this was BADDDD and the drivers side looked fine normal. Yea its a shame too because the pro4x new was a 30k dollar vehicle. Amazing how people will spend that kind of money on a vehicle and not take good care of it. Also the new S radio has a digital screen I actually like more than the RF on the pro even though it is down a couple speakers and a sub(the 2013 S xterras have a aux input finally too). The salesman are really trying to push the used one. They said the manuals 6 speeds are harder to sell. I will not have a auto so it works in my favor.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Of course they push the used cars- that is where dealers make more money.
Does the S stereo sound okay? The 2011 S stereo really blew. If the '11 is that rough I'd bet there are clutch issues too that will cost you. Manuals are harder to sell because so few want them.

Will inspect it very well that's what has turned me away from the 2011 was my brief visual inspection which didn't go well. Its funny you mention quality because there is a white 2013 pro4x on the lot that had the largest ugliest sag in the paint on the passenger side rocker panel I have ever seen. I know they spray chip guard on the rockers (which never helped on my titan) but this was BADDDD and the drivers side looked fine normal. Yea its a shame too because the pro4x new was a 30k dollar vehicle. Amazing how people will spend that kind of money on a vehicle and not take good care of it. Also the new S radio has a digital screen I actually like more than the RF on the pro even though it is down a couple speakers and a sub(the 2013 S xterras have a aux input finally too). The salesman are really trying to push the used one. They said the manuals 6 speeds are harder to sell. I will not have a auto so it works in my favor.

·
Registered
378 Posts
We have bought both our Nissans used (X and Titan) from Nissan dealerships, but it all depends on how previous owners treated their cars. Our X was obviously someone's baby and was spoiled, clean inside, only city driven and well taken care off, but Titan....smelly inside and after one wheel came off while we were driving it home, we are still discovering what else was just neglected on the truck by its previous owners (nightmare)!!!! So normally I would say go with PRO 4 X as it has more to offer, but if it's so bad inside, I don't believe they treated the car well and I bet you could expect more bad surprises ( those mechanical ones ) after driving it for a bit. I would go with a new one as well.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
If someone didn't bother to take care it, keep it clean and damage free; do you think they were changing the oil on time and not driving the $hit out of it? Also, how does a dealer put a vehicle like that on their lot? To me, that says volumes about the quality of vehicles they are getting and trying to sell.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I just bought my 2011 Pro-4x with 15K on it and only paid $22,700 and it was clean as a whistle. Had never been off-road.

Keep looking for a better deal. I drove 3 hours to get mine, but I'm happy.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the deal is done. I went with the new S-4x4 6 speed paid 25,635 for it will pick up tomorrow. After going over the pro-4x more I found a oil leak underneath that was enough for me to pass. Not to mention the terrible shape of the exterior and interior. There were parts of the interior panels that had the finish rubbed off of them just amazed with only 20,000 miles. Maybe they had the odometer reprogrammed and had a zero removed haha. After going back and forth on the two, having previously owned a frontier pro4x and a SL frontier I used the cubby holder in the SL where the locker button would be more than I used the locker on the pro4x. Never actually needed the locker in the pro4x found the ABLS system to be very effective. Yes the pro has bigger tires, better stereo(which by the way sounds a ton better and looks better in the 13 S than previous S models), a locker, fancy roof rack lights, different shocks, and some badging. For me the pro4x was a no go even had I had a higher budget. Why pay 3500 extra for stuff I would not use. I am the kind of guy who would rather add the tires, wheels, locker(not that I would need it), better stereo down the road even it costs more its the WAY I want it to be modded. I already have a bunch of parts from my frontier that I sold a year ago. Front lift spacers, lift shackles, BD gt tuner, shorty antenna, and a few more so I am off to a good start! Thanks for all the input everyone!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank haynie will post pics soon. Not that everyone on here has not seen a black xterra but it will be a way to keep me involved and keep my mind busy. Just lost my dad 9 weeks ago (not that anyone cares we all have our own problems) and a new hobby and group of people will be good for me. A build thread sounds like fun too!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts