Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to plan a trip to the Maze section of Canyonlands National Park in 2014. Thinking sometime in May, September or October. Park Service discourages solo travel in the area; it's fairly remote.

I've never been. Unsure of what vehicle requirements might be. Ability to carry extra food, water and fuel will be needed. Probably camp at least one night.

PM if interested.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Can I recommend spending a lot more time that a single night in there? After you get out of the car (4-6 hours of being shaken like a paintcan) and you won't want to turn around and go back the next day.

I've done it twice solo without any issues. If you're comfortable driving in, stopping, checking things over before going in, you should be fine. Make sure to remove the mudflaps and step rails...both will get obliterated. A stock Xterra can walk in, although I would recommend sliders.

Fuel wise, the X is fine if you top off at either Hanksville (if coming in via Hans Flat) or Hite (coming in via the Hite road from the south). If you go in from the north, most people camp at the overlook and that's fine. But, let me recommend coming in from the south, going through Teapot and then accessing the road down to the Doll's House where I find more things to do. And trust me, there's lots and lots to do.

Water: bring at least 2 gallons per person, per day.
Fuel: if you do the loop (Hans Flat out Hite or Poison Springs) then bring at least 10g extra

Last time, my X carried 15 gallons in the back, food, and a 5 gallon fuel on the roof. Thinking I'll get a Dephep for this year's trip.

I'm going in September as my honeymooon (believe it or not). So will be out there around the 15th I hope.

Here's a link to some information and pictures of mine if you'd like to see more: http://ksklain.com/2013/11/19/terra-incognita/

EDIT: don't forget going to the Great Gallery. That is worth the trip in itself!

·
on line
1,449 Posts
I'm going in September as my honeymooon (believe it or not). So will be out there around the 15th I hope.
That's what we did after we got married in 2012. Spent 3 days off the grid in the mountains around St. Elmo, CO. We'll probably do it again the summer to celebrate our anniversary. :thumbup:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure, km, you can suggest anything you happen to think of. I've never been, so any and all suggestions appreciated.

My X is pretty well armored and lifted; not worried about a few bad roads <g>.

I guess I'm glad to know you've done it solo. Feel that at times the Park Service is hyper-cautious, for whatever reason. My view is that traveling in the desert requires prudence and caution, but the risks can be managed. If not, don't go. It's not rocket science.

Thanks for the link to the blog. Well said and well photographed, as well.

Cheers!

PS Honeymoon in canyonlands is a fantastic idea. And congratulations!

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
If the X is armored and lifted, you probably can get in via the Hite route in about 4.5hrs I would imagine. Another 30 min. from Chimney Rock to the Doll's House from there. Doll's house #1 and #2 are by far the best sites in terms of solitude and awesome rocks around you, while all the others are very exposed (which means better sunset/sunrise), but during weather...oh boy.

Go in via the south either by Poison Spring Canyon and going through Gunsight Pass or just straight from the Hite entrance. If you're feeling froggy, go ahead and drive out the Flint Trail and out Hans Flat for the experience. Just make sure you bring the extra fuel then.

That time of year, if something bad were to happen, there'd more than likely be someone driving through at least within a day, so no worries.

And yes, the National Parking Lot Service not only overstates, but downright lies about certain conditions, roads, etc. I think they do a commendable job and treat the rangers with all the respect I can, but there are some top-down thinking that has occurred recently that makes me wonder what their team "mission" is nowadays. It kinda feels like it is trying to prevent litigation more than anything else.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Travel tips greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Chances are I will be coming from the north, I-70, Green River, etc. so I would probably come in from Hans Flat.

Could you recommend an itinerary and timetable from that direction?

Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts