Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this mod today on my fathers 1993 4 Runner. Very cool wish we had one for ours.
Main use, keep your cool even after you ran through Mud water and dust!

What it does,
Says it frees up 17 HP and you can feel it from the get go, no clutch fan!
Has optional manual switch, you can leave on auto, it turns on to cool.
But get this, towing a hill? Turn it on manually.
Or crossing water? Dust bowl? Mud pit? Turn it off manually! Keep from drawing the crap through the radiator! That's why I like it!
Says it increases water pump life also.
Very easy to install, all the relay work is done. See that silver wire? (just below the hose) That is the temp sensor that just goes into the radiator, no block sensor needed! And adjustable on off points. Very easy to adjust. Just a knob. Has a neat rubber seal around the edge it really draws some air! 2800 cfm!

I did figure how to do one for our X using 2 relays, a diode and a switch plus a block temp sensor. But I am not sure how the system works now.
Also this baby can be run backwards as a pusher! Be cool to just install it for that! Turn it on to keep mud out! It may be easier than I have worked up. But a Mod I may do. Certainly want to. You really can "Feel" the freeness of the engine with no clutch fan on it! Amazingly good product.

MC

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Nice! I did that on my old Chevy truck and freed up a serious 15hp!

·
on line
111 Posts
It makes sense that it can free power and all that good stuff with the pump's life. This one sounds very interesting, but I know very little about cooling.

Is 2,800cfm more than enough?

·
on line
239 Posts
E-fans are awesome. I put them on my trail rig and ditched the mechanical fan all together. I've got mine wired like yours. I used the ac relay for a switch that I can turn on any time. Then I have another switch that I can turn them off any time. Very good mod! Only thing that gets people in trouble is mounting them with those through-the-radiator zip ties. They act like a little saw and chew threw the radiator tubes over time. That's why they tell you in the instructions to install the zip tie in the crotch of the V of the fins.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice azz trail rig! Anyhow, the fan I installed said "You need our special switch" But that is because they switch the thermostate I think rather than the power. I was thinking switch power lead and can do no damage. The AC switch does turn it on, but special switch is 3 way and does it all, and does not engage AC clutch. (Bennie when overheating)

I have a fits all fan I am thinking of and the wiring worked out for the X just don't have a SM to answer some questions. I need a peek at how they are doing things now to be sure I don't interupt anything they do or want done.

2800 CFM is enough for sure. Especially with the seal up front.

MC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts